• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

My Windows 8.1/Chrome laptop seems to have acquired the Hotcleaner nuisance.

I have done a lot of Googling, but all I seem to find is camouflaged adverts for paid-for cleaning programs, most of them probably from the same source as the problem...

Can anyone help me get rid of this? (I am non-technical, and would prefer not to be rootling around in the registry.)

maximus otter

I have done a lot of Googling, but all I seem to find is camouflaged adverts for paid-for cleaning programs, most of them probably from the same source as the problem...

Can anyone help me get rid of this? (I am non-technical, and would prefer not to be rootling around in the registry.)

maximus otter
Had a look online and found this which might aid getting the job done:
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=OVP.Uli_Dx1KZtefP6IpfPXAPAEsDh&w=528&h=298&c=7&pid=1.7&rs=1

Thanks, but all that gives me is the title at the top of a blank page.

maximus otter
Oh, I thought that would have opened up - but it hasn't.
This should do the trick:

To remove **HotCleaner** from your Windows 8.1 system, follow these steps:

1. **Uninstall HotCleaner**:
- Click on the **Start** button and select **Control Panel**.
- Navigate to **Programs & Features** (or **Add or Remove Programs**).
- Locate **HotCleaner** in the list of installed programs.
- Click on it and choose **Uninstall**.

Last edited:

maximus otter

1713868565836.png
:friends:

maximus otter
Hitman Pro
ESET Free Online Scanner
F-Secure online virus scanner
Malwarebytes tools
Trend Micro Housecall

Windows 8.1 went end of support on 10th January 2023, meaning no security updates have been released for it since then. That means you're just gonna get hacked until you replace that operating system.

maximus otter
Malwarebytes? Try that.

Back