• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

I'd like to have an interactive (stick a pin where you are from) "live" world map in an FB group. Ideas? google maps must do it somehow but the How To I found is from about 10 years ago lolololol Any ideas? pointers?
It's usually done with Javascript. In Google maps, it uses the Google API and requires a bit of programming knowledge.
There might be a Facebook API app that somebody has written...I have no idea, sorry.

I'm running Win 10 on a relatively new HP laptop...it was fine until about a week ago when it started shutting down instead of going into sleep mode which is the setting I have been using. I went into the power settings and clicked on sleep with no shutdowns at any time ,but after a certain time it still turns off...I then went into advanced power settings and did the same commands there. It seemed better but after inactivity of about an hour or less or if I close the lid...it turns off. I read online this is a common problem with win 10.....help!

Well..wouldn't the laptop feel or seem hot...it doesn't.

Apparently this has happened on several different brands that have win 10 in them....someone online said it;s an update problem that screws up this feature...but I don't understand the fixes that were posted.

We have had problems with our laptop too after a windows 10 update. Very annoying.

Well..wouldn't the laptop feel or seem hot...it doesn't.

Apparently this has happened on several different brands that have win 10 in them....someone online said it;s an update problem that screws up this feature...but I don't understand the fixes that were posted.

It happens on my pc tower too. I've done what you've done and disabled sleep, still happens very occasionally but not so much as to be a bother.

I have set it to never turn off in the power settings and one hour to sleep....but it still turns off after an hour and shut downs...should I just completely disable that whole mode and how does one do that?

I have set it to never turn off in the power settings and one hour to sleep....but it still turns off after an hour and shut downs...should I just completely disable that whole mode and how does one do that?

Perhaps set everything under Power & Sleep to Never.

Thanks guys...I'll put it all under 'never' and see what happens...how do i access the screensaver graphics card place,...
?

Start button > Settings > Power & Sleep > Additional power settings > High performance - Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Power Options > Display > Turn off display after

^Thanks.....I'll go in there and change the settings....hope it works....

Well....I changed all settings to turn off and sleep never but it still shuts down eventually....the sleep mode just doesn't seem to work at all. After no use for awhile it turns off...didn't do this until about a week ago........could win 10 updates have caused this...?

Well....I changed all settings to turn off and sleep never but it still shuts down eventually....the sleep mode just doesn't seem to work at all. After no use for awhile it turns off...didn't do this until about a week ago........could win 10 updates have caused this...?

It seems a lot of Windows laptop users have run into sleep / shutdown problems. Some of these result from hardware-specific control implementations (e.g., closing the laptop lid) clashing with whatever Windows 10 is expecting.

Others have to do with anomalies with the Hibernate mode (which some users either don't use, thought was disabled, or didn't know existed).

Have you checked the HP help page on Sleep / Hibernate issues in Windows 10?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03383935

Do a file search on the hibernation record file name:

hiberfil.sys

... to see if your system is performing the Hibernate routine.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-enable-or-disable-hibernate-in-windows-10/

It seems a lot of Windows laptop users have run into sleep / shutdown problems. Some of these result from hardware-specific control implementations (e.g., closing the laptop lid) clashing with whatever Windows 10 is expecting.

Others have to do with anomalies with the Hibernate mode (which some users either don't use, thought was disabled, or didn't know existed).

Have you checked the HP help page on Sleep / Hibernate issues in Windows 10?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03383935

Do a file search on the hibernation record file name:

hiberfil.sys

... to see if your system is performing the Hibernate routine.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-enable-or-disable-hibernate-in-windows-10/
That sounds like it could be the problem....but I need a step by step guideline since I'm pretty lame when it comes to this stuff. I'll read those links.

Hmmm. It does sound like a machine/brand-specific issue.
Hopefully, a future Windows update will fix it.

I changed all the settings again last night..and did not close the lid....it did not shut down or go into sleep....it still had the same screen image this morning....it seems like it happens mostly if I close the lid.
From what I have read it happens on some laptops due to win 10 update issues.....I'lll have to live with it unless I make those program changes that some have posted.

I changed all the settings again last night..and did not close the lid....it did not shut down or go into sleep....it still had the same screen image this morning....it seems like it happens mostly if I close the lid.
From what I have read it happens on some laptops due to win 10 update issues.....I'lll have to live with it unless I make those program changes that some have posted.
You can't feasibly leave it on. There may be a setting for the lid closing (but I don't know what it is).

Why can't i leave it on? I can put it into sleep mode each night but it shuts down then ,and I have to turn the power button on.

Well, you could, but parts of the laptop would begin to wear out.
Cooling fan(s). Hard disk. Monitor. Power supply. Battery won't hold a charge.

Well, you could, but parts of the laptop would begin to wear out.
Cooling fan(s). Hard disk. Monitor. Power supply. Battery won't hold a charge.
I understand.....well for now then I'll have to let it shut down at night until I can figure out a way to correct the sleep mode.

Every Windows machine I've ever used requires you to press the Power button to wake it from sleep mode.

So I'm guessing it is going to sleep. The boot will be slightly quicker than after a full shut down.

Every Windows machine I've ever used requires you to press the Power button to wake it from sleep mode.

So I'm guessing it is going to sleep. The boot will be slightly quicker than after a full shut down.
Not the case with all of mine .....both my current desktop at work and my old laptop went into sleep mode and you merely had to hit any key or move the mouse to 'wake it up'....that's the definition of sleep mode so you don't have to reboot it. If you shut down then you need to turn the power on again...or if you restart it ,but sleep mode shouldn't have to require one to push the power button.
When I first got my current laptop it was set by my daughter for sleep mode and it never turned off unless I did it by manual command...but now if one puts it in sleep mode it turns off...this is not what it should be doing.
According to online reports it's an error in win10...but I'm not versed enough about programs to correct it.

There are a number of sleep states for Win 8/10...

System Sleep States
In this post, we will see the different System Sleep States in Windows. MSDN explains this quite well.

System Power State S0 – This is the Working State, where your Windows PC is awake. This is not a Sleep state.

System Power State S1 – In this sleep state, the CPU is stopped and your computer is in standby mode. If the next S3 state is note supported, this S2 is the default state on most hardware. The Processor clock is off and bus clocks are stopped. In this state, the power consumption could be between 5 – 30 Watts.

System Power State S2 – This state is similar to S1 except that the CPU context and contents of the system cache are lost because the processor loses power.

System Power State S3 – In this state, data or context is saved to RAM and hard drives, fans, etc. are shut down. The power consumption is usually less than 5 Watts. Wake-On-LAN is supported from S3 (Sleep) or S4 (Hibernate) state in Windows 10/8.

System Power State S4 – In this state, data or context is saved to Disk. It is also known as the Hibernate state and is useful for laptops. Your PC saves the contents of RAM to the hard disk. The hardware powers off all devices. Operating system context, however, is maintained in a hibernate file that the system writes to disk before entering the S4 state. Upon restart, the loader reads this file and jumps to the system’s previous, pre-hibernation location. Power consumption is again less than 5 Watts.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/system-sleep-states-windows-8

Total change of subject - not having Sky TV, and mostly happy with what Freeview has to offer, I'm nevertheless considering and Amazon Firestick or similar, as I'd like to be able to access, for example, iPlayer through my TV.

I've probably asked this before (couldn't find anything with a basic search - sorry), but can anyone sum up the features, and pros & cons, of this type of device? I guess I would be effectively turning my "dumb" TV into a smart one, but would I need a minimum broadband speed and/or download limit to make it work? I see Amazon and Netflix channels advertised with the Firestick - would I still have to pay a further subscription for these?

Many thanks.

Total change of subject - not having Sky TV, and mostly happy with what Freeview has to offer, I'm nevertheless considering and Amazon Firestick or similar, as I'd like to be able to access, for example, iPlayer through my TV.

I've probably asked this before (couldn't find anything with a basic search - sorry), but can anyone sum up the features, and pros & cons, of this type of device? I guess I would be effectively turning my "dumb" TV into a smart one, but would I need a minimum broadband speed and/or download limit to make it work? I see Amazon and Netflix channels advertised with the Firestick - would I still have to pay a further subscription for these?

Many thanks.
As I understand it you need at least 2mb download speeds to get decent service for any streamed content.

You'll have to pay for Amazon, Netflix and Now TV, but you'll get the BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, All4, UKPlay and whatever the Channel 5 one is for free.

I guess you might get a free trial to Amazon when you buy the stick though.

Do you have a games console? Most (if not all) of those services can be accessed that way which will save you a few quid.

Thanks, both. 2MB shouldn't be a problem, even with the crappy broadband here. Console-wise, nothing newer than a Wii, so no web access there!

You used to be able to use Netflix and the iPlayer on a Wii...they might have removed the functionality though. And it won't be HD.

Back