• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

Worked it out.

The problem is the way Firefox uses cookies.

Used Avast Browser and got through first try.

INT21

Mobile phones, don't ya just love them ?

I recently changed my cell phone. It still works, but the buttons have broken up and buttons on the side have broken up and can't be used. It's a BlackBerry Curve.
Anyway, my brother had a spare Blackberry Curve 8900 that he gave to me.(while muttering that he bought it from his son. But I could have it; he's like that) I was looking at the handbook that came with it. And in the back is this exhortation..

Page 35:

You BlackBerry device may not come with a holster(body worn carrying solution equipped with an internal belt clip).If you wear the device on your body, always put the device in a holster with an integrated belt clip supplied or approved by Research In Motion (RIM). Carrying solutions, including RIM approved carrying solution that do not come equipped with an integrated belt clip, should not be worn or carried on the body.

I've always carried mine in my shirt breast pocket.

I'm gonna die.....

INT21.

Mobile phones, don't ya just love them ?

I recently changed my cell phone. It still works, but the buttons have broken up and buttons on the side have broken up and can't be used. It's a BlackBerry Curve.
Anyway, my brother had a spare Blackberry Curve 8900 that he gave to me.(while muttering that he bought it from his son. But I could have it; he's like that) I was looking at the handbook that came with it. And in the back is this exhortation..

Page 35:

You BlackBerry device may not come with a holster(body worn carrying solution equipped with an internal belt clip).If you wear the device on your body, always put the device in a holster with an integrated belt clip supplied or approved by Research In Motion (RIM). Carrying solutions, including RIM approved carrying solution that do not come equipped with an integrated belt clip, should not be worn or carried on the body.

I've always carried mine in my shirt breast pocket.

I'm gonna die.....

INT21.
It may be an arse-covering exercise in case the batteries overheat.

,,It may be an arse-covering exercise in case the batteries overheat. ..

I see what you did there.

;)

I do have a mobile phone holster, it looks like a proper gun holster the ones that go on both shoulders and attach to the belt

The approved one that comes with the BlackBerry is just large enough to hold the phone and has a belt clip on the back of it.

I'm so sorry to hear that - I love mine (I'm on my third!) What aren't you getting on with? (and maybe we should hive this off to the Tech Help thread...)
I love editing and fiddling with photos and I haven't found anything comparable to PhotoShop or gImp compatible for Chromebook, just dull inadequate apps with stupid filters. Please shift this to Tech if I can get some good suggestions!

Can anybody deliver specifics on this? I've generated it multiple times this week, clicking on links from here.

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 22.34.37.png

I'm not clicking OK without a good reason--and I've never heard of OATH (crap name).

Can anybody deliver specifics on this? I've generated it multiple times this week, clicking on links from here.

View attachment 15664

I'm not clicking OK without a good reason--and I've never heard of OATH (crap name).

It's ok, just the equivalent of accepting their cookies etc. You shouldn't have to do it more than once before you flush your cookies again.

Oath is a media-oriented umbrella or holding entity established by Verizon to house and integrate the various services (AOL, Yahoo, HuffPost, etc.) Verizon has been buying up for the last few years.

Recent actions on the cross-service integration front haven't gone well. Oath is taking on water, and it's killing Verizon's financials. Insider buzz has it that Verizon's looking to spin off the whole unit and get out of the ad-heavy media / streaming market sector.

A question about USB hubs.

I have a rather underpowered Lenovo Ideapad laptop with a 1.3GHZ processor and 2 GB of RAM. It's always been rather sluggish despite keeping it as lean as possible.

Plugged into it I have two Seagate external hard drives which are powered from the USB ports. These store several thousand mp3 files that I've ripped from my CD collection or downloaded, plus some DVD rips.

The laptop has two USB 2.0 ports. One hard drive is plugged directly into one. I've plugged an unpowered USB hub into the other, and into that are plugged the other hard drive, the mouse, and an external CD drive.

My laptop is rather slow reading folders on the external drives, and occasionally Windows Explorer freezes up entirely and I have to reboot to get things working again.

I'm tempted to buy a USB hub with a mains supply as I've read these run devices attached to them much more reliably since they aren't overtaxing the power supplied by the laptop USB port itself.

Would this make any tangible difference? Or would my drives remain sluggish simply because it's such a low spec laptop?

A question about USB hubs.

I have a rather underpowered Lenovo Ideapad laptop with a 1.3GHZ processor and 2 GB of RAM. It's always been rather sluggish despite keeping it as lean as possible.

Plugged into it I have two Seagate external hard drives which are powered from the USB ports. These store several thousand mp3 files that I've ripped from my CD collection or downloaded, plus some DVD rips.

The laptop has two USB 2.0 ports. One hard drive is plugged directly into one. I've plugged an unpowered USB hub into the other, and into that are plugged the other hard drive, the mouse, and an external CD drive.

My laptop is rather slow reading folders on the external drives, and occasionally Windows Explorer freezes up entirely and I have to reboot to get things working again.

I'm tempted to buy a USB hub with a mains supply as I've read these run devices attached to them much more reliably since they aren't overtaxing the power supplied by the laptop USB port itself.

Would this make any tangible difference? Or would my drives remain sluggish simply because it's such a low spec laptop?
I think it probably would make a difference, yes.
A powered hub would reduce the strain on the laptop's USB bus. It would also give you more ports that you could use at the same time.
It might be an idea to buy one with separately-switchable ports, to manage power better.

Last edited:
It also sounds like the USB host controller driver might be a bit buggy. What OS Graylien? (Relevant as I may have a suggestion that could allow you to test the controller)

Cool, thanks. There have been reports of bugginess with the driver for that laptop's USB controller (Intel xHCI) in Windows, especially after the Windows Anniversary Update a few years ago.

My suggestion is that you try the laptop with a Linux live CD. Note, I am not suggesting that you switch to Linux, just that you use a live session to see if the performance is better under Linux. If it is, it is likely that the driver in Windows is not working well with your hardware. Your laptop's CPU is a little underpowered which could be the performance bottleneck if the driver wasn't thoroughly tested with such CPUs. There are some alternative drivers about that you could try if it does turn out to be the driver but installing these might prove tricky/time-consuming so it would be a good idea to test the performance using Linux first if you are able to.

If you want to learn more try searching for Intel xHCI Windows 10 but you will get a lot of irrelevant results about USB 3, so you'll have to refine the query.

Sorry in advance, but here's my latest in what must seem a long line of ignorant questions about Ebay:

I've been using Ebay to sell bits and bobs for a couple of years, nothing of huge value, but enough to generate a few pounds now and then. I don't bother checking my Paypal account that regularly, as I'd rather wait until I think I've got, say, £100 to draw down. Makes it feel like more money that way!

Anyway, I did recently log into Paypal, and found I'd got rather less there than I hoped. Digging deeper (again, not something I'd really bothered to do), I found a lot of money going as "authorised payments" back to Ebay. Checking my Ebay account, these charges aren't just final selling fees, as I'd thought, but listing fees as well, for every item I've got on B-I-N. Is this right? As a private seller, I thought that there were no listing fees. Have they started treating me as a business without my knowledge? If so, how would I go about challenging this? I don't want to close my Ebay account - as I say, it's underused, but I get some satisfaction from the slow trickle of "free" cash - but I also don't like feeling I'm being ripped off.

Sorry for throwing this out at you, but you've always come good in the past! I know I could search my Ebay account for more info, but I'm very tired tonight, and I know that you lot are probably more sympathetic and user-friendly than a multi-national behemoth.

Once you've listed more than 50 items, the fees kick in.
You could set up another account with a different email address, then max it up to 50. Rinse and repeat.

50, is it? Didn't realise the limit was that low. I thought you were allowed so many new listing per month. Also didn't realise I'd listed that much!

Thanks for the info, Myth. I'll have a bit of a cull ASAP.

It's the Buy It Now that's your problem.

You get charged a fixed rate every time you list something BIN, whether it sells or not.

I have loads of listings running all the time, never use BIN. I just stick everything at a low start price with free delivery and see what happens. I'm only ever charged sale fees.

It's the Buy It Now that's your problem.

You get charged a fixed rate every time you list something BIN, whether it sells or not.

I have loads of listings running all the time, never use BIN. I just stick everything at a low start price with free delivery and see what happens. I'm only ever charged sale fees.
Thanks for the tip. The stuff I have listed BIN lends itself to that method of sale, but I possibly need a rethink. In the meantime, I've had a cull and brought my listing down way below 50, so that should buy me some respite, according to Myth's advice.

I've only really played at Ebay thus far, but there's plenty more stuff I could list if I sat down and thought about it. It's good to get a few tips here - I'll never make my fortune at it, but a modest trickle of cash might be nice!

I used to list a lot of vinyl on eBay but it never sold very well. I've moved the music sales to Discogs and have a lot more success.

Back