• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

I just tried to upload a photo that is 2.45 mb. Got a message that said it was too large for the server. Is this this fortean server or the !@#$%^ Spectrum server?

Thx

I just tried to upload a photo that is 2.45 mb. Got a message that said it was too large for the server. Is this this fortean server or the !@#$%^ Spectrum server? ...

An image file of 2.45 Mb is too large to be uploaded as an attachment here, and it's large enough to represent a significant download burden forsome members.

An image file of 2.45 Mb is too large to be uploaded as an attachment here, and it's large enough to represent a significant download burden fro some members.
This seems to be how my android phone saves things - don't see an obvious way to make it smaller, should I be finding one?

This seems to be how my android phone saves things - don't see an obvious way to make it smaller, should I be finding one?

Do you not have any app for image manipulation on your phone or other device?

Perhaps more importantly ... Is this image relevant enough to justify additional hassles in placing it onto the forum? If so ...

Place it on a Web-accessible site (e.g., a photo sharing site where you have an account) or copy the URL (Web address) where you found it, and PM me with the address where I can access the photo.

Do you not have any app for image manipulation on your phone or other device?

Perhaps more importantly ... Is this image relevant enough to justify additional hassles in placing it onto the forum? If so ...

Place it on a Web-accessible site (e.g., a photo sharing site where you have an account) or copy the URL (Web address) where you found it, and PM me with the address where I can access the photo.
No it's not a critical fortean question. But should I come across one, it sounds as though I can't unless I learn how to manipulate photos, which I have never learned how to do. Thanks.

No it's not a critical fortean question. But should I come across one, it sounds as though I can't unless I learn how to manipulate photos, which I have never learned how to do. Thanks.

It's not rocket science ... All you need is a graphics / photo app that allows you to change an image's size and save it.

Alternatively, you can use the Insert Image feature in the post editing window to insert the URL (Web address) of the image so that it will be dynamically called, downloaded (by the reader), and displayed whenever anyone accesses your post where you've (virtually) placed the image.

This approach puts the onus on a reader, who has to (a) be able to download the image from wherever it's actually stored and (b) accept whatever delay is involved in downloading the image just to see the entirety of your post. This approach also has the disadvantage of being entirely dependent upon the image being available somewhere other than this forum. If the image isn't available at the address you inserted anymore, it can't appear in your post. If the loss of the image renders your post cryptic or unintelligible, the post will be deleted.

A third option applies if the image is already online embedded in some webpage (e.g., a blog or news site). Just post a link to the site, explain / describe the relevance of the image, and invite readers to go there if they want to see it.

Thanks. I know photo editing should be easy, I've just never learned it. Now if you want data manipulated, I'm your girl. What basic software should I put on a pc? I have anything that microsoft gives out for free with computers, I just probably never found and opened it. My program list sayts I have Photos, Windows Photos Viewer, and Paint. I've posted links before.

Thanks. I know photo editing should be easy, I've just never learned it. Now if you want data manipulated, I'm your girl. What basic software should I put on a pc? I have anything that microsoft gives out for free with computers, I just probably never found and opened it. My program list sayts I have Photos, Windows Photos Viewer, and Paint. I've posted links before.
Paint .NET should do. It's free.
https://www.getpaint.net/

Thanks, but this software seems to want me to add a chrome extension, which I avoid.
Hmmm. I've never had to do that. You do need to have .NET installed, though.

Well, you could install GIMP. The UI is needlessly confusing, though.

Since I don't know what that is I probably don't. I'm perfectly able to use my computer, but I have so far avoided having to spend a lot of time tinkering with it and adding things I don't perceive that I need,, so many other things to do. There is an adobe photoshop express offered as free in the windows store, do you think that would do it?

... There is an adobe photoshop express offered as free in the windows store, do you think that would do it?

Yes - Adobe Photoshop Express includes an image resize (and then save) feature.

Since I don't know what that is I probably don't. I'm perfectly able to use my computer, but I have so far avoided having to spend a lot of time tinkering with it and adding things I don't perceive that I need,, so many other things to do. There is an adobe photoshop express offered as free in the windows store, do you think that would do it?
Probably.

Hang on a sec - if you just want to resize an image, use Paint. It's already installed!

Is there not a way to resize/compress server-side? I always have the same issue, I'm not able to resize photos on my phone and they're always too big to put up here.

any phone with a camera will let you resize/decrease quality

or use whatsapp

Is there not a way to resize/compress server-side? ...

Forums in General: Yes, it's possible.
This Specific Forum: For all practical purposes - No.

Back when the former FTMB was hosted by a corporate entity (i.e., up through 2018) there were such server-side accommodations for pretty much anything you bothered to attach.

Now that we're something of a rogue independent enterprise we don't have (or can't presume ...) the sort of operational wiggle room or technical investment to be as blithely receptive to whatever you wish to drag in.

Yes, there are attachments maintained here that greatly exceed the current limits - all of which were carried over from the halcyon days (daze?) when we didn't have to foot the bills.

You can always remote-link otherwise un-attachable images from an external site. Their ongoing accessibility will, of course, depend on how readily and how long that other site serves them up on demand.

If you think a particular un-attachable image is important enough be become part of this forum's ongoing core / serious content, it would be worthwhile to invest the effort in preparing them or finding a suitable substitute so they are attachable.

@EnolaGaia OoOOOO i like the word 'rogue independent enterprise' it makes us sound dangerous and unpredictable, anyway, im off to grab a cuppa tea and a crumpet

Hang on a sec - if you just want to resize an image, use Paint. It's already installed!
Carlos, the resize button in Paint just, well, resizes and aspect ratios. There are not too many buttons to play with. Am I in the right place?

And no, not my phone. It has three levels of pixel density but all come out 2.5.

This isn't a critical tech problem but would be nice to know.

Depends on the version of Paint. The latest version will save JPEG and PNG files, but older versions could only do BMP.

Carlos, the resize button in Paint just, well, resizes and aspect ratios. There are not too many buttons to play with. Am I in the right place?

And no, not my phone. It has three levels of pixel density but all come out 2.5.

This isn't a critical tech problem but would be nice to know.
You can put in a percentage size reduction or specify a size in pixels. That's probably enough.

Forums in General: Yes, it's possible.
This Specific Forum: For all practical purposes - No.

Back when the former FTMB was hosted by a corporate entity (i.e., up through 2018) there were such server-side accommodations for pretty much anything you bothered to attach.

Now that we're something of a rogue independent enterprise we don't have (or can't presume ...) the sort of operational wiggle room or technical investment to be as blithely receptive to whatever you wish to drag in.

Yes, there are attachments maintained here that greatly exceed the current limits - all of which were carried over from the halcyon days (daze?) when we didn't have to foot the bills.

You can always remote-link otherwise un-attachable images from an external site. Their ongoing accessibility will, of course, depend on how readily and how long that other site serves them up on demand.

If you think a particular un-attachable image is important enough be become part of this forum's ongoing core / serious content, it would be worthwhile to invest the effort in preparing them or finding a suitable substitute so they are attachable.
What is the max size we want to upload? thx.

Back