• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

Can't see anything. Do you have a link ?

Having problems with supplying a link that won't resolve into a video...

No worries.

Maybe a general title and I'll Google it.

Here's the YouTube identifier for the video's webpage:

pwzHurzTNTY

Go to youtube.com and enter this identifier in the search box to be shown an entry for the webpage.

NOTE: FYI:

The forum is currently configured to auto-embed media (e.g., videos) from allowable media sources such as YouTube.

The good news is that this makes it convenient to insert links affording immediate access to digital media items without having to decipher or wrestle with URL / link vagaries.

The bad news is that any (allowable) media link posted on the forum gets converted into such directly embedded form whether you want it or not.

My guess is that INT21's client-side settings prohibit browser acceptance of indirectly linked content incoming from third party sources.

Now I'm confused. What is the date beside each posting? I assumed they were all GMT but I am currently 11:23 am mountain savings time ( Eastern daylight savings less 2 hours) or whatever they call it here and I see a post for 9:22 am. Thanks.

Now I'm confused. What is the date beside each posting? I assumed they were all GMT but I am currently 11:23 am mountain savings time ( Eastern daylight savings less 2 hours) or whatever they call it here and I see a post for 9:22 am. Thanks.

I checked your user account record, and its time context was set to the Eastern time zone. I changed it to the Mountain time zone.

I checked your user account record, and its time context was set to the Eastern time zone. I changed it to the Mountain time zone.
Thanks, can I change this back when I return home? So all times I see are adjusted to "my" zone?

Thanks, can I change this back when I return home? So all times I see are adjusted to "my" zone?

Yes - you can set your time zone yourself. Click on your username in the header atop any page, then click on "Preferences" in the drop-down menu that appears.

COMPLETE DISAPPEARANCE OF FACEBOOK!

Help me, people!

So Facebook has completely vanished at my end. Not just my page but everything Facebook related. So I try to go to Log in but ll I get is a blank white page with the address Facebook home.com/ in the top left hand corner. If I type in a Facebook page or friend that I know with Facebook it's the same. Nothing. I've tried different search engines and its the same. Nothing. It's the same on my phone too - so it's not just on my computer.

I have not consciously deleted my Facebook account - and even if I had surely I would be able to see and acess other Facebook pages?

This began last night - I first became aware of it about 10 pm my time and is still ongoing this morning, my time.

I've never known anything like this. Can anyone tell me what's going on and what I should do about this?

Thanks in advance.

Many thanks for that Enola! Good to know at least that it's not a purely personal problem.

It can't be all over the city as I texted a friend here about it and he said his FCBK site was working as normal. Ironically, the expat techie people I would normally turn to in this situation are available...only through a Facebook page!

What is an `outage` exactly and what causes it?

I'm no huge fan of Facebook - to say the least! -but, what with living abroad, it is my only means of contact with quite large swathes of people and I've already lost Skype and can't seem to get back on.

... What is an `outage` exactly and what causes it? ...

It's techie-talk for a service disruption (broadly defined).

It means the service is inaccessible, unresponsive, or dysfunctional.

The cause can be any number of things - e.g., hardware level, comm level, or software level issues.

Detection of a "down" or "out" state may result from direct monitoring / polling or field reports.

I'm no huge fan of Facebook - to say the least! -but, what with living abroad, it is my only means of contact with quite large swathes of people and I've already lost Skype and can't seem to get back on.
You can disable Facebook but still keep messenger. I've had a similar situation. Of course the Facebook company can still keep tabs on you and sell your data that way.

Nobody give anything to Zeke to take care of, he's already lost FB and Skype :p

Least you haven't lost FT ;)

For those who want to build an old-style XT PC using new tech:
That's cool. With this I can play Leisure Suit Larry authentically like it was supposed to. I remember running it on a PC emulator for Atari ST in 1990.

Nobody give anything to Zeke to take care of, he's already lost FB and Skype :p

Least you haven't lost FT ;)

Ha, ha. Facebook is back on. The loss of skype is something of an issue for me. I was somehow thrown of it after having problems with my computer. To get back on you need to provide details of all your contacts addresses- but, I mean who remembers those? Then it won't let me set up a new account because it recognises me whatever address I use and thinks I'm someone trying to hack into my own account, or something.

If anyone knows a way out of this one, let me know!

I not very techy, i would have obliterated the skype account, then downloaded it again

Did it not ask for a PW? at least then you can request another one.

Zeke:

My (informed, based on checking your record) guess is that you're attempting to access Skype from an IP address different from the one from which you registered, and that's why you're being suspected of being a third party hacker.

This might also result from having moved to a new email address or even a different device (not the one you had when your first registered).

I've no idea what (if any) additional / different security procedures Skype may have imposed on subscribers in your neck of the woods.

I don't know what the contact address bit is about.

Shady's asked the obvious question - don't you know your prior password? Haven't you tried the "forgot my password" routine?

My laptop keyboard has suddenly started playing up. It is missing letters. I suspected a virus since I haven't spilled anything on it and shut it down to open up in safe mode. However, I couldn't open it in safe mode as the enter key is one of the ones that is missing (meaning I pressed f5 in startup, selected safe mode but nothing happened when I pressed enter). Does that mean it can't be a virus as surely that would only operate in Windows and not in DOS?

My laptop keyboard has suddenly started playing up. It is missing letters. I suspected a virus since I haven't spilled anything on it and shut it down to open up in safe mode. However, I couldn't open it in safe mode as the enter key is one of the ones that is missing (meaning I pressed f5 in startup, selected safe mode but nothing happened when I pressed enter). Does that mean it can't be a virus as surely that would only operate in Windows and not in DOS?

I can't help on Windows / DOS specific weirdness, but ... No - the continued inability to use any keys on the keyboard does not rule out a virus or malware.

You can try a virus scan by using a virtual keyboard
This is for Windows 8
To type without using the keyboard

Open On-Screen Keyboard by clicking the Start button
11899_en-us_8

, clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking On-Screen Keyboard

Have you got a separate USB keyboard? Try that.

I'm having similar problems with my laptop. I might give it a try with a plug-in keyboard sometime.
It could be that the keys are just wearing out.

I'm having similar problems with my laptop. I might give it a try with a plug-in keyboard sometime.
It could be that the keys are just wearing out.

I'm having problems with the touchpad, too smooth so I scored it, also requires extra pressure to click at times.

Back