• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Technological Shenanigans

whiteoak

Junior Acolyte
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Does anyone remember a really old yarn about a teacher called Ken something and his girlfriend who claimed to have communicated with a 17th century spirit via the medium (pun intended) of a BBC Computer? I think it was back in the 1980's and the spook was supposedly a former inhabitant of their home. I also seem to recall that the claims were more or less completely rubbished but it was a damn entertaining story.

I was wondering if today's spirits have embraced modern technology. Anybody have any tales of bizarre computer/iphone happenings (excluding the usual technical boo-boo's) ?

Do a search on "Ken Webster" in the Ghosts forum and you'll find a bunch of threads, including a quite recent one. Seems to have caught the imagination of a lot of people over the years!

I read a story as a teenager about a man called Thomas Kempe who was a ghost and spoke to the people in his former home by means of graffiti in olde English and also by means of an early computer. Maybe someone or these people just plagarised that story?

Yeah, it seems to be the same story and I did manage to find a thread about it in the 'ghosts' part of the forum.
It was a good story, true or not.

‘My Watch Thinks I’m Dead’

FRISCO, Colo. — On a recent sunny Sunday morning, following a night of fluffy snowfall, tens of thousands of skiers flocked to the resorts of Summit County. Just minutes after the lift lines opened, sirens began blaring in the 911 emergency service center, where four staff members were taking calls and dispatching help.

Each jarring alert was a new incoming call, heralding a possible car crash, heart attack or other life-threatening situation.

One dispatcher, Eric Betts, responded to such a call. From the map on one of the seven monitors on his desk, he could see that the distress call originated from a slope at the Arapahoe Basin Ski Area. Mr. Betts tried calling back. A man picked up.

“Do you have an emergency?” Mr. Betts asked. No, the man said, he was skiing — safely, happily, unharmed. Slightly annoyed, he added, “For the last three days, my watch has been dialing 911.”

Winter has brought a decent amount of snowfall to the region’s ski resorts, and with it an avalanche of false emergency calls. Virtually all of them have been placed by Apple Watches or iPhone 14s under the mistaken impression that their owners have been debilitated in collisions.

As of September, these devices have come equipped with technology meant to detect car crashes and alert 911 dispatchers. It is a more sensitive upgrade to software on Apple devices, now several years old, that can detect when a user falls and then dial for help. But the latest innovation appears to send the device into overdrive: It keeps mistaking skiers, and some other fitness enthusiasts, for car-wreck victims.

Lately, emergency call centers in some ski regions have been inundated with inadvertent, automated calls, dozens or more a week. Phone operators often must put other calls, including real emergencies, on hold to clarify whether the latest siren has been prompted by a human at risk or an overzealous device.

https://dnyuz.com/2023/02/03/my-watch-thinks-im-dead-2/

maximus otter

It’s on YouTube somewhere, wasn’t there a dramatisation of it from the 90’s? I saw it only last yr. Cant link as travelling at the moment and hate this iPad. It would just bring up the YouTube app which has no url. Was it one of those strange but true type shows?

Back