• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Teeth Found In Dental Clinic Walls: LOTS Of Teeth

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
For at least the third time, construction workers in Georgia have opened up the walls of a former dentist's office only to discover thousands of teeth in the wall cavity.

The latest discovery was made at Valdosta, Georgia's TB Converse Building, built in 1900, in a dental office occupied by Dr Clarence Whittington and then Dr Lester G Youmans, from 1900 until the 1930s.

Previous troves of entombed teeth have been discovered in old dentists' offices n Greensboro and Carrolton.

https://boingboing.net/2018/10/27/poor-r-value.html

(Would be great for Halloween costuming, Gothic jewellery and leaving behind at crime scenes)

Why would anyone do this? One can imagine a time when teeth were a valuable commodity (for making dentures) so they'd be kept, but you'd expect them to be gathered in a container. Anyway, these teeth date from a bit later than then.

Maybe the dentist just chucked them into a crack in the wall for some reason. They's stink though.

What normally happens to a tooth when the dentist extracts it? Is it just thrown in the bin or incinerated? Do they have to account for them for when they bill patients? What I mean is, if they send an invoice for a tooth extraction, would they have to show a matching receipt for the tooth's disposal?

I'm imagining a dentist working cash-in-hand to make some work cheaper. And the evidence of the extractions just discarded in to the walls to destroy the evidence.

whats the big deal, was just a cavity wall
henry wins the award for best dentist joke. He should get a plaque.

I'm trying to come up with a tooth fairy joke but failing. Any help?

What normally happens to a tooth when the dentist extracts it? Is it just thrown in the bin or incinerated? Do they have to account for them for when they bill patients? What I mean is, if they send an invoice for a tooth extraction, would they have to show a matching receipt for the tooth's disposal?

I once had a very intact surplus-to-requirements tooth removed and asked for it. Then I cleaned it, nailvarnished it, mounted it on thick copper wire and leather to make a rather nice ring. Not sure where it is or I'd photo it.

The last tooth I had extracted, I asked for - so I could inspect it. I can clearly see the hairline fracture that caused all the trouble.

I save all of our kids teeth in a plastic container. At first I whimsically imagined making something from them. But then the idea seemed terribly macabre and so now I'm just stuck collecting teeth and can't bring myself to throw them away. Some of then have fallen into two pieces so I have a container of tiny, partially broken teeth.

My oldest lost a tooth yesterday and complained today that the tooth fairy hadn't visited (even though she knows fine well what the deal is). So I'll sneak in tonight and remove said tooth. I can't decide if I should leave a coin or some random object (to teach the greedy bugger a lesson).:p

I save all of our kids teeth in a plastic container. At first I whimsically imagined making something from them. But then the idea seemed terribly macabre and so now I'm just stuck collecting teeth and can't bring myself to throw them away. Some of then have fallen into two pieces so I have a container of tiny, partially broken teeth.

My oldest lost a tooth yesterday and complained today that the tooth fairy hadn't visited (even though she knows fine well what the deal is). So I'll sneak in tonight and remove said tooth. I can't decide if I should leave a coin or some random object (to teach the greedy bugger a lesson).:p
Leave a tiny tube of toothpaste or bottle of mouthwash.

Let us know the reaction! Say 'the fairies are trying to tell you something'.

What normally happens to a tooth when the dentist extracts it? Is it just thrown in the bin or incinerated?

I needed a rear molar extraction last year and my Dentist in London gave me the option of a referral to the Eastman Dental Hospital. The treatment was free provided I donated the tooth to Eastman for Research and dental Training purposes. It was a magnificent specimen, roots like Yggdrasil.

I sense you are now wondering where to obtain a squashed fairy, or a reasonable fake facsimile thereof.
F4LN1P4HZ88NC1A.LARGE.jpg

Sure, she "lost" one. That's why you don't give them money.
That reminds me of me. After I'd pulled out my last kiddy tooth, my Dad told me to stop doing it! Otherwise I'd be pulling out my last set of teeth.

I've got a little box with all my milk teeth in. Except for the one I still have in my head.
You still have a milk tooth? In your mouth, or somehow embedded in your head?

A guy in my high school had never gotten any adult teeth.

They were a bit small, yes.

Two of my adult teeth went a bit off course so had to be removed from up under my nose when I was 14. They took out the deciduous teeth at the same time but rebellious teenage Carse refused to have any artificial replacements or braces to close up the two resulting gaps in my upper jaw. It lends an air of menace to my (rarely seen) smile.

Back