• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Telephone Telepathy' Does Exist

CuriousIdent

Not yet SO old Great Old One
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1983703.html

'Telephone telepathy' does exist

A scientist claims 'telephone telepathy' - the feeling you get when you know someone is about to call - really does exist.

Parapsychologist Dr Rupert Sheldrake insists the phenomenon is not just coincidence.

In tests, he claims 45% of volunteers correctly "guessed" which of four randomly picked callers was about to phone them.

Repeated hundreds of times, the odds against this happening were "1000 billion to one", said Dr Sheldrake, from Cambridge University.

But his research, together with that of two other paranormal investigators, sparked huge controversy at the BA Festival of Science in Norwich.

Some leading members of the research community did not think they should have been allowed a platform at the meeting, organised by the British Association for the Advancement of Science (BA).

Dr Sheldrake has previously spoken of his theory of "morphic fields" which he believes psychically connects people who have close relationships.

He said the new findings supported the idea that extra sensory perception works best between individuals with an emotional bond.

I get this feeling all the time from family members and friends. Anybody else?

CuriousIdent said:
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1983703.html

'Telephone telepathy' does exist

A scientist claims 'telephone telepathy' - the feeling you get when you know someone is about to call - really does exist.

Parapsychologist Dr Rupert Sheldrake insists the phenomenon is not just coincidence.

In tests, he claims 45% of volunteers correctly "guessed" which of four randomly picked callers was about to phone them.

Repeated hundreds of times, the odds against this happening were "1000 billion to one", said Dr Sheldrake, from Cambridge University.

But his research, together with that of two other paranormal investigators, sparked huge controversy at the BA Festival of Science in Norwich.

Some leading members of the research community did not think they should have been allowed a platform at the meeting, organised by the British Association for the Advancement of Science (BA).

Dr Sheldrake has previously spoken of his theory of "morphic fields" which he believes psychically connects people who have close relationships.

He said the new findings supported the idea that extra sensory perception works best between individuals with an emotional bond.

no surprise to see BA objecting to the psychic ideas. is he still saying he ain't getting on this plane?

if you see me in the street feel free to punch me.

CuriousIdent said:

All the time, I'll look more closely at "Morphic Fields". 8) :D

But critics said that the effect was more likely to result from flaws in Dr Sheldrake's methods. In one set of studies, the subjects lifted the received before making their choice, allowing possible clues to the caller's identity from the quality of the line.

It was also possible that people got clues from the time of the call. "If the subject knows four people well, they will know who tends to be on time, who tends to be late and who early," said Richard Wiseman, Professor of Psychology at the University of Hertfordshire. "If they call me at 11.02 not 11, I'd likely guess it was going to be my late friend."

"He is reporting results that are far higher than those usually found by parapsychologists, and there is good reason to be sceptical. The design of the experiments are more messy than most in the field, and so the results could be due to participants picking up subtle cues from the callers - it is important that other scientists attempt to replicate the alleged effect."

http://www.forteantimes.com/phpBB2/view ... hp?t=27640

-

Rrose_Selavy said:
..."If they call me at 11.02 not 11, I'd likely guess it was going to be my late friend."...

-
At which point, you call Randi and claim your 1 million dollars for communicating with the dead...

mines the one in white, with the buckle design up the back...

The BA's annual Festival of Science is always good. I used to take my kids and their mates when it was in reasonable travelling distance. :D

I get text telepathy. I have quite often been thinking of someone and they text me a minute or two later. Mostly a certain special someone, but sometimes other random people. The other day infact I was thinking about my friend Cathy who I haven't spoken to in months and I got a text message from her about 5 minutes later saying we should meet up!

Sure, phone telepathy seems to work, but when I round it up it's certainly not all the time, pretty rarely really.

Maybe the act of phoning someone is similar to projecting thought - our latent psychic selves send a call sign when we're trying to make contact over distance :D

When I was a student I couldnt afford a phone. My friend Alex would always turn up whenever I thought about getting him to come round. the first thing he would say as he came in was "You Called".
Alas he was the only friend I could summon in such a manner so I had to get a phone. Though I know seem to know if my irritating neighbour stalker type person is on his way down to my door. I spring up, lock the door so he cant invite himself in and ignore the bell till after half an hour later he stops calling my name and gives up.

I must admit, I have had strange experiences with phones and close friends. Just last week, I was thinking of phoning my ex (still a good friend) but thought better of itas it was a bit late and she might have been trying to sleep. Within a minute or two the phone rang and you guessed it.... Double glazing salesman. Only kidding, it was her - happens quite often really.

But I think it is more likely to be coinkydink as i hadn't spoken too her for a couple of days.

Similar phenomenon to the cup of tea telepathy my parents seem to have.

Not exactly on-thread, but it amused me -

A few years ago, when texting from the 'net was new, I decided to try it out by sending a mate a silly message. I settled on 'Put that sausage down, you don't know where it's been!' and after I'd sent it, forgot about it.

I saw her some time later and she told me I'd scared her stiff. She had heard her phone's message tone in her pocket, and had finished eating before she read it.
She was eating a sausage bap... :shock:

I enjoyed the mental picture of her spinning around in the street looking for my hiding place!

Completely off topic, but good on ya Escargot for using the term Bap! Good to know somone can use English propperly, like what I does! :p

In a similar vein, I dreamt I started work back at my old workplace yesterday morning, and then a couple of hours later found I'd received a myspace message from an ex-colleague there that I'd not spoken to or heard from in two years...

i think maybe not just telephone telepathy but whole network telepathy can exists. I am friends with many different types of people. But every 10 years I seem to have a rush of bumping into a mirriad of people I have not seen in ten years plus people of the same ilk that are new to me as friends.
I also have those fallow years where i just am too caught up in work or somthing that I dont see anyone, just work people.. :?

miss_scarlet said:
i think maybe not just telephone telepathy but whole network telepathy can exists. I am friends with many different types of people. But every 10 years I seem to have a rush of bumping into a mirriad of people I have not seen in ten years plus people of the same ilk that are new to me as friends.?

The Bokononian/Vonnegut idea of the Karass in action?

Late last Saturday afternoon, about 4.30 - 5.00, I'm out and one of the kids answers the phone. It's my brother. 'No problem,' he says, 'I'll phone back later.' Of course, he doesn't, he rarely does.

Anyway, the next day, Sunday, at breakfast, about 11.00 - 12.00, My partner suddenly says, 'Did your brother phone back yesterday?'

'No.' Says I, 'But, then he never does.' She agrees.

Ten seconds later, the phone goes. We look at each other. Yes. It was him. :lol:

Have you ever been in a taxi cab or on a bus, where the driver seems to know when traffic lights will change? Have you ever intuitively avoided an argument with a relative at a certain time of the month?
Maybe it is the in built human timer which runs a quick calculation and figures out the possible identity of a caller on an anonymous landline or pre-empts when that caller shall ring?

Back