• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Televangelists

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
American TV evangelist asks for $54m to buy private jet, with the justification that 'it's what Jesus would have done'. Okay, I'm not a biblical scholar but that's crock of the highest order, a complete stinking pile of malodorous bulls**t. Hogwash. Crap. And those are the cleaner versions of my feelings on the matter.

That man must have balls of steel to get up and ask for that - though I wouldn't be surprised if he gets given it. Little surprises me these days...

(He's part of the Kenneth Copeland Ministry. And I always think of Kenneth Cope-Land when I see the name, which I picture as a fourth-rate theme park dedicated to Kenneth - Marty Hopkirk - Cope).

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...n-7x-louisiana-kenneth-copeland-a8374316.html

We don't seem to have a dedicated thread, so I've started one (earlier posts merged in).

I've always found them grimly fascinating as a peculiar fusion of the ancient and the modern (spiritual hucksters being perhaps older than organised religion). One of the greatest criticisms that is levelled at the high-profile ones is the hypocrisy displayed in the discordance between their pleas for charity and frugality and the lavish lifestyles they lead.

See the experts at work here, then, justifying the ownership of private jets:

In just 5m 16sec count the justifications:

1) The plane was graciously given by God. (By donating you were following God's will).
2) Flying alone permits personal communion with God that would be impossible on commercial airliners.
3) 90% of their spiritual work would be impossible without a private jet.
4) Time in the air alone is 'sanctuary' that allows purer communion with the Almighty.
5) Their great work begets fame, and fame brings recognition and distraction from their task.
6) Modern life is so polluted that flying by airliner with the public is like being in a 'long tube full of demons'.
7) Commercial flight can medically harm their hearts.
8) The criticism of their being fat cats stems from the Devil.
9) Their nation (and the world) is dying and only private jets can get to all the places they must reach.
10) Commercial pilots themselves admit that the schedule they keep is impossible via commercial flight.
11) With such a hectic schedule, sleep is precious and only private jets offer the chance for real rest.
12) Most nebulous: you must go upward; to remain cruising at the same 'level' invites a 'crash'.

American TV evangelist asks for $54m to buy private jet, with the justification that 'it's what Jesus would have done'. Okay, I'm not a biblical scholar but that's crock of the highest order, a complete stinking pile of malodorous bulls**t. Hogwash. Crap. And those are the cleaner versions of my feelings on the matter. ...

Precisely the sort of hypocrisy Hooters targeted over 30 years ago ...

Precisely the sort of hypocrisy Hooters targeted over 30 years ago ...

A bit of Tammy Faye and Jim Bakker going on there (Jim's presently selling water bottles at $150 for six. What gives with this world?!)

Rarely - if ever - has the question been asked: "Which corporate Jet would Jesus buy?". But thanks to Televangelist Jesse Duplantis, we now know the answer: It's a Dassault Falcon 7X.

Duplantis, a 68-year-old New Orleans native, has been preaching since 1976 and is credited with 11 books and one film. He says that if Jesus were alive today, "He wouldn't be riding a donkey."

http://www.jdm.org/wp_thisweekwithjesse.aspx?source=TWITTER

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/news/article_5c3230f8-635a-11e8-8844-137f1a7cb649.html

Duplantis, a 68-year-old New Orleans native, has been preaching since 1976 and is credited with 11 books and one film. He says that if Jesus were alive today, "He wouldn't be riding a donkey."
Which is true, Jesus drove a Honda.

jesus-drove-a-honda-but-didnt-talk-about-it-for-14129786.png

Which is true, Jesus drove a Honda.

jesus-drove-a-honda-but-didnt-talk-about-it-for-14129786.png

Here's a list of biblical motor vehicles -

God drove Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden in his Fury

pursue your enemies with your Tempest and terrify them with your Storm. - Psalm 83:15

For I did not speak of my own Accord... - John 12:49

the roar of Moses' Triumph is heard in the hills.

Joshua's Triumph was heard throughout the land.

The Apostles were in one Accord. - Acts 5:12

Sic Transit gloria mundi.

Here's a list of biblical motor vehicles -

God drove Adam and Eve out of the Garden of Eden in his Fury

pursue your enemies with your Tempest and terrify them with your Storm. - Psalm 83:15

For I did not speak of my own Accord... - John 12:49

the roar of Moses' Triumph is heard in the hills.

Joshua's Triumph was heard throughout the land.

The Apostles were in one Accord. - Acts 5:12

Don’t forget the animals went in 2x2 because the 4x4 wasn’t invented until the Russell Crowe version.

The Magi were led by an Astra. Or possibly a Nova. And the shepherds tended their Jeep.

Anyway, will Copeland's pilot be called Pontius?

The Magi were led by an Astra. Or possibly a Nova. And the shepherds tended their Jeep.

Anyway, will Copeland's pilot be called Pontius?

I find it difficult to believe an Astra could tow a Caravan across the desert.

Luke 2:44

but supposed Him to be in the caravan, and went a day's journey; and they began looking for Him among their relatives and acquaintances.

We’ve all been there.

We don't seem to have a dedicated thread, so I've started one (earlier posts merged in).
I've always found them grimly fascinating as a peculiar fusion of the ancient and the modern (spiritual hucksters being perhaps older than organised religion). One of the greatest criticisms that is levelled at the high-profile ones is the hypocrisy displayed in the discordance between their pleas for charity and frugality and the lavish lifestyles they lead.

Think of all those secretive comedians flying around the world in private jest..

The televangelist phenomenon is hard to understand for those of us who are not involved but it combines ideas that we might recognise from other contexts.

As a teenager, I was talking to my friend's father w . ho was an accountant. He had just bought a brand new car. It is well established that the most economical way to run a car is to buy a good used one and run it for a long time. I asked him why his clients would accept financial advice from someone who had made such a poor investment decision himself.

He explained that when people saw that he had been successful and made a lot of money, they would assume that he had done so by helping other people to make a lot of money, and that he could do the same for them. He was of course correct.

So with the televangelists: the outward trappings of success, wealth and fame demonstrate that the evangelist is good at what he does, that other people have shown faith in him already (and therefore it is safe and socially acceptable to do so) and that God has indeed smiled on him.

Very few people pray to God to make them humble ascetics. Most pray for the sort of things that society recognises as desirable. (Little realising that God is too busy helping a boxer to win a fight, or rescuing one individual from a disaster that killed thousands.)

The other side of it is the "big enough lie". (Godwin's Law alert!) If Hitler had told the German people that Jews were all shoplifters or pick pockets, they would have thought about the Jews they knew and realised that it was untrue. However, by telling them the much bigger lie about the alleged international financial conspiracy, he was able to whip up hatred. (I simplify, of course.) Similarly, if an evangelist goes on the radio and asks for enough money for a medium sized hatchback, people will be suspicious. If he goes on TV and asks for a private jet, they will believe him.

Jim Bakker is at it as well:
SCAM

Selling special water (i.e. water) he says will cure the virus in hours. Seems to have forgotten the moneylenders and vendors in the temple part of the Bible.

Think of all those secretive comedians flying around the world in private jest..

The televangelist phenomenon is hard to understand for those of us who are not involved but it combines ideas that we might recognise from other contexts.

As a teenager, I was talking to my friend's father w . ho was an accountant. He had just bought a brand new car. It is well established that the most economical way to run a car is to buy a good used one and run it for a long time. I asked him why his clients would accept financial advice from someone who had made such a poor investment decision himself.

He explained that when people saw that he had been successful and made a lot of money, they would assume that he had done so by helping other people to make a lot of money, and that he could do the same for them. He was of course correct.

So with the televangelists: the outward trappings of success, wealth and fame demonstrate that the evangelist is good at what he does, that other people have shown faith in him already (and therefore it is safe and socially acceptable to do so) and that God has indeed smiled on him.

Very few people pray to God to make them humble ascetics. Most pray for the sort of things that society recognises as desirable. (Little realising that God is too busy helping a boxer to win a fight, or rescuing one individual from a disaster that killed thousands.)

The other side of it is the "big enough lie". (Godwin's Law alert!) If Hitler had told the German people that Jews were all shoplifters or pick pockets, they would have thought about the Jews they knew and realised that it was untrue. However, by telling them the much bigger lie about the alleged international financial conspiracy, he was able to whip up hatred. (I simplify, of course.) Similarly, if an evangelist goes on the radio and asks for enough money for a medium sized hatchback, people will be suspicious. If he goes on TV and asks for a private jet, they will believe him.

Yup, Hitler is supposed to have said 'If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.'

My Mum chatted with an old lady on a bus today. She mentioned that she had a colloidal silver spray and was sure that it would keep her free of the virus, because of its antibacterial properties. I told my Mum that it's of no use on a virus at all and that it's fringe 'medicine'.

Kenneth Copeland can heal people of the coronavirus, which is jolly nice of him.

Now he has Heaven's Mandate to rule.

Who needs a government when you have The Watchman running the show?

Kenneth Copeland, the 85-year-old bug-eyed megapreacher with hundred of millions of dollars, private jets, and luxury cars, is behind The Watchmen a group of people who have declared war against the United States by stating, "we have been given legal power from heaven and now exercise our authority."

Sample declarations from The Watchman Decree:

– We decree that our judicial system will issue rulings that are biblical and constitutional.
– We declare that we stand against wokeness, the occult and every evil attempt against our nation.
– We decree that we take back and permanently control positions of influence and leadership in each of the *Seven Mountains.
*Seven Mountains of Influence include media, business/finance family, education, politics, arts/entertainment, and religion.

https://boingboing.net/2022/07/14/k...ee-is-straight-out-of-the-handmaids-tale.html

Back