• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Help needed here, did you pay for it or did you get it free if you signed up for prime? I dont want to sign up for Prime, I want to pay for it, but i cant find where I do that

I can’t find any way of paying for it short of signing up for Prime, BUT you can pay monthly for Prime, so if you signed up for a month you could binge watch it... It’s definitely worth it. And it gets better episode by episode.

Help needed here, did you pay for it or did you get it free if you signed up for prime? I dont want to sign up for Prime, I want to pay for it, but i cant find where I do that

It's a BBC production, so you could just wait until it's on TV in a few weeks.

Really enjoyed the first two episodes of Good Omens this evening. It seems reasonably faithful to the book. Tennant and Sheen are perfectly cast, and almost everyone else is pretty on the button too. Not sure about the American Anathema Device, I'd had a very clear picture of her from the book. But we can't expect it not to have a few changes, although that seems a perplexing and unnecessary one.

Really enjoyed the first two episodes of Good Omens this evening. It seems reasonably faithful to the book. Tennant and Sheen are perfectly cast, and almost everyone else is pretty on the button too. Not sure about the American Anathema Device, I'd had a very clear picture of her from the book. But we can't expect it not to have a few changes, although that seems a perplexing and unnecessary one.

Suspect it’s so they can sell it to the American audience.... I’m not keen on her, or God as an American... Gabriel, however, is perfect....
So many little moments of utter perfection in this series, it’s very special.

Just watched episode 2 - this is good stuff! Apart from Michael McKean's Scottish accent, that was... not so good.

Just watched episode 2 - this is good stuff! Apart from Michael McKean's Scottish accent, that was... not so good.
If memory serves, Shadwell's accent is described as unplaceable in the novel. I don't recall whether he was ever stated to be Scottish, but his accent was supposed to be reminiscent of various places.

If memory serves, Shadwell's accent is described as unplaceable in the novel. I don't recall whether he was ever stated to be Scottish, but his accent was supposed to be reminiscent of various places.

Looks like you're right:
Accent-a-rama

Except Michael really was trying a Scottish accent. David Tennant said he liked it, but he's a nice man, didn't want to hurt any feelings.

It is just over £17 to buy, when they release it, so I may wait

Looks like you're right:
Accent-a-rama

Except Michael really was trying a Scottish accent. David Tennant said he liked it, but he's a nice man, didn't want to hurt any feelings.
Well then it may be a happy accident that the accent isn't quite right. Anyway, I'm willing to overlook such shortcomings in what has so far been (I've still only seen the first three episodes) an excellent adaptation.

Well then it may be a happy accident that the accent isn't quite right. Anyway, I'm willing to overlook such shortcomings in what has so far been (I've still only seen the first three episodes) an excellent adaptation.

Yeah, it hasn't ruined it for me or anything. It is supposed to be funny, after all.

Dont watch BBC, no licence. I am quite prepared to pay for it to have it forever and ever :p

Finished bingewatching it tonight! Very good, quite faithful to the book, some great overacting from David Tennant, lots of cameos from "Oh it's that person from that show". Last episode seemed a bit drawn out but had some nice twists. And Anathema, a highly educated witch, doesn't know how to pronounce "thorn".

And there's shedloads of easter eggs/references throughout!
SPOILERS
And just spotted more references (in a released still from last year) that aren't listed on that page...
SPOILER 1 + SPOILER 2

Finished bingewatching it tonight! Very good, quite faithful to the book, some great overacting from David Tennant, lots of cameos from "Oh it's that person from that show". Last episode seemed a bit drawn out but had some nice twists.
Yeah, I felt they kind of rushed the finale from the book in order to add a load of anticlimactic unnecessary stuff. But as a whole the series was a triumph. I'm sure long time fans of the much loved book may have a spectrum of feelings, but that fanbase includes my partner who loves the series. I read the book only a few months ago for the first time, and I felt the series respected it, and did justice to the characters.

They did it as a single series? That's good, they usually drag these things out, are they going to continue it?

Its in six parts, you can watch them all at once on Amazon

They did it as a single series? That's good, they usually drag these things out, are they going to continue it?
I think this is all we're getting. Neil Gaiman has said he doesn't want to break a pact he made with Terry Pratchett not to work on any continuation of Good Omens without him, which obviously is now impossible in this life. In addition, some of the material used to bulk out this adaptation came from ideas they'd intended for a potential sequel to the novel. So, unless some Hollywood studio had somehow acquired the rights to make it into a movie, I think it's time has ended. There's always fan fiction I suppose. If you can stomach Aziraphale saying things like 'I could of sworn...' and characters constantly holding their heads in their hands exasperated by other characters.

Just been catching up on this, got as far as episode 4.

A little up itself but much better than I expected.

Reminds me unduly of THGTTG but with 90s student humour instead of 70s.

Good Omens. I watched it. Wasn’t impressed with the first episodes but it sort of grew on me at the end.
It tried to be Hitchiker’s but the arrows fell way short of the target.

One question. Why was Tennant doing an impression of Bill Nighy all the way through?

Foaming at the mouth Christian nutbags petition Netflix to ban Good Omens despite it being on Amazon Prime. No nutcase like a god nutcase
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progr...DFyOfZXNsjBAsDICmHRHsxt_WDf8LT7THcbOAxJXyRFvQ
The stupid, it burns: More than 20,000 ignorant Christians have signed a petition demanding Netflix cancel the program “Good Omens.” The only problem: “Good Omens” is an Amazon series, and Netflix has nothing to do with it.

Adding insult to injury, the series is already completed. It was a limited series based on the book, and so there is no series to cancel. It’s already made and done.

The Guardian reports:

More than 20,000 Christians have signed a petition calling for the cancellation of Good Omens, the television series adapted from Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman’s 1990 fantasy novel – unfortunately addressing their petition to Netflix when the series is made by Amazon Prime.
The six-part series was released last month, starring David Tennant as the demon Crowley and Michael Sheen as the angel Aziraphale, who collaborate to prevent the coming of the antichrist and an imminent apocalypse.​
The petition, sponsored by a Christian group called Return to Order, and titled “Tell Netflix: Cancel Blasphemous ‘Good Omens’ Series,” claims that the series is “a mockery of God’s order and religion,” and expresses anger that “an angel and demon are good friends,”and that “God is voiced by a woman.” In addition, the petition complains that “he Antichrist…is portrayed as a normal kid that has special powers.”

The petition complains about the attempt “to make Satanism appear normal, light and acceptable,” and concludes with a demand to “Stop promoting evil!”

In an attempt at damage control, the petition has since been deleted by the Christian-led Return to Order campaign.

:bish::eek:nick:
So, they didnt bother Amazon yet then?:violin:, and why didn't they get on their high horses over the book?

:bish::eek:nick:
So, they didnt bother Amazon yet then?:violin:, and why didn't they get on their high horses over the book?

Looks like the parent organisation of Return to Order, American TFP, is hardline Catholic and is no stranger to protesting stuff they deem blasphemous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ameri..._of_Tradition,_Family_and_Property#Activities

Could be that the book slipped under their radar at the time as it didn't get the same huge media attention as films like Dogma and The Last Temptation of Christ. If they protested it now everyone would be "Dudes, why are you protesting a 29-year-old book? Bit late to the party there". So they're protesting the TV adaptation, being new and in the public eye. Also, Return to Order seems to be a new group - could be they're using the Good Omens protest to get publicity.

They've relaunched the petition, btw (although they haven't changed the URL which refers to Netflix). Doubt if it'll do much except give Amazon publicity.

https://www.returntoorder.org/petition/tell-netflix-to-cancel-blasphemous-good-omens/

P.S. They must love Lucifer and Preacher - the comics and the based-on TV versions...

All the real evil shite going off in the world and they are worried by a mini series

All the real evil shite going off in the world and they are worried by a mini series

Presumably because you feel you can control a TV show, as many an internet troll has tried (and not just with TV shows). Guaranteed to generate publicity for your cause, though I think they'll find any support they gain is strictly preaching to the choir.

Try campaigning against war or human trafficking instead, fundie so-called Christians, do something useful instead of bitching and moaning about a spot of light entertainment that never did you any harm.

I've finally got around to watching Good Omens. yeah, not as good as i hoped, although it did improve towards the end.

sometimes it felt like a really well funded kids film, although with swearing and fire and nooky.

david tennent and micheal sheen were excellent as were the other demons and angels but i thought most of the human characters were rubbish cliches, including the children.

i suspect those cliches worked better in the book (which i've never read). in all, it was OK.

Brian May must have been a fan, they did good to get permission for all the Queen music, although I don't think the show ever explained the book reference?

Edit: Brian not Brain

Last edited:
Back