• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Testing the Nation?

A

Anonymous

Last night the BBC had special show in which they attempted to carry out what they described as the largest IQ test performed in the UK.

Did anyone see it? (I was out attempting to lower my own IQ by a couple of pints, sorry points.;))

Was it any good?

The results on the Beeb website seem to me to be pretty trivial. (A few maps, and then comparisons of IQs for different astrological signs, and football club supporters.) I had thought that the Beeb were playing this as a (vaguely) scientific exercise. (Though IQ itself is a source of rather heated debate.)

Any thoughts?

The time it took to answer the questions wasn't taken into consideration; isn't that usually a fairly important variable?

A Rant

Didn't see it, didn't want to see it.

I score well in them so this isn't envy (140 currently)

IQ tests are one of the biggest pseudo scientific pieces of bunkum ever to be perpetrated on the general public. They rank right up there with lie detectors and E metres

What do they test? They test your ability to do that particular form of IQ test - no more. They can be fun but bear no relation to anything of use to man or beast.

They are culturally biased, they used to be sexually biased.

Factoid, what is considered to be the mean score for a population (100) is updated on a regular basis because people are always getting better at the tests. Extrapolate that backward and Newton must have been a moron and Socrates couldn't have argued with a lizzard.

Grrrrrrr.

The wealthiest people dont appear to have the highest IQ appart from the sartorialy challenged Carole Vorderman.

We certainly did watch and play the game along with plenty of cider. And of course you want to know our results :D
Well my wife rated 128 (out of practice from her one time 140), the boys came in at 112 110 and i rated just above the dog at 108. The guinea pigs refused to play!
Quite right, iq is more or less meaningless except to gov. and employers who want to apply an exclusion rule :blah:

Re: A Rant

intaglio said:
Extrapolate that backward and Newton must have been a moron and Socrates couldn't have argued with a lizzard.

Grrrrrrr.

Ah, but would he have been able to spell it?;)

I guess this answers my question as to why whenever I flicked by that channel they seemed like they were doing some IQ-test. And it went on for hours.

I think that anyone who fell for this piece of bunkum, and did it, should really be checking out their EQ (Emotional maturity Quotient). What an insecure bunch we are these days.

Maybe it's all just a bit of fun. But, hey! Supposing you only managed double figures. Would you be blowing about it?

Don't forget, even the most `objective' test has to include a huge ballast of cultural weighting and bias. Old Charles Fort would laugh his socks off at the very idea!

I didn't do it but the rest of the family did. Hubcap says there were different scores for different ages, the older you were the higher you got. How the F does that work? The highest you could get was 140 and you had to be over 50 or 60 or something to get it. So I'm glad I didn't do it as I got 153 twenty five years ago. Hubcap only got 127 and he can do hard sums. I would have registered as sub normal. :( Mind you it explains the mother in law registering as normal, must be her age. :)

I was in hospital on Saturday and had to endure the whole evening - hours and hours of Anne Robinson.... aaaaaaggggggghhhhhh!!!!! with no possibility of escape :mad:

Jane.

I got 126 on that one on saturday, less 10 for putting up with Anne Robinson:rolleyes:

I tried to do it online, but after answering Question 1, my computer chose to transmit the results to IQ HQ and tell me the test was over.

I got the question right, though. That's 100 per cent in my money. Thus I feel like a very clever Cursed, with a very stupid computer. :)

It did seem at odds with most other IQ tests: I normally get 140 odd but only managed 124 on this one: my missus got 94 (!), surprisingly low for an intelligent graduate: she normally gets in the 120 - 130 range. I think IJ was right about the time factor thing: speed of reaction isn't as important as getting the answer right in the first place.

Most IQ tests are just timed over-all, allowing for variations (ie get some answers instantly, others a little longer) but I suppose given TV time restraints this was the only practicable method (despite the fact it would yield false results).

I normally get 140 odd but only managed 124 on this one: my missus got 94 (!), surprisingly low for an intelligent graduate: she normally gets in the 120 - 130 range

Do you have children? There's nothing better for fusing braincells and shrinking the grey matter. From personal experience, I know this to be true.

AndroMan said:
Do you have children? There's nothing better for fusing braincells and shrinking the grey matter. From personal experience, I know this to be true.

Yes, two, young.

That's the answer!

Thanks, Andro:)

i was sad enough to do the national IQ test, an i really wished i hadn't!!

lol it didnt show me as the highly intelligent person that i really am:rolleyes: :D

it was those damn maths questions! when ever a maths question was asked i just kinda stared at the screen with mouth open wide and blinked alot:D

Back