• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Texas honor student jailed for missing too much school

FelixAntonius

Justified & Ancient
One of those things where you wonder if the judge is so far up his own arse he is unable to temper the aplication of the law with a little comon sense:-

Texas honor student jailed for missing too much school.

By CBSAtlanta.com Web Staff

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, TX (CBS ATLANTA) -
An honor student in Texas was thrown in jail after she missed too many classes at her high school.

A judge issued Diane Tran, 17, a summons Wednesday for her excessive truancy after she missed class. She was arrested in open court.

Last month, Tran was issued a warning by the judge for missing school.

Tran said she works both full-time and part-time jobs, in addition to taking advanced and college level courses.

But the judge said Tran's case was bigger than the individual situation of one student.

"If you let one run loose, what are you gonna' do with the rest of 'em?," said Judge Lanny Moriarty. "Let them go too? A little stay in the jail for one night is not a death sentence."

But Tran's classmates said she had a lot more to juggle than the average teen.

"She goes from job to job from school. She stays up until 7 a.m. in the morning doing her homework," said Devin Hill, a classmate and co-worker.

On top of that, Tran said her parents spilt up and moved away, leaving her to support her younger sister.

The judge admitted that he wanted to make an example of the teen.

Tran had to spend 24 hours in jail and had to pay a $100 fine

Source: http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/1862660 ... ve-truancy

Now run this past me again...`Just` who is looking after this kid?

WTF? :(

What a stupid thing to do. I feel sorry for the young woman, why doesn't the judge ask her parents what they think they are playing at!

Maybe the judge needs assessing for dementia?

Or maybe he just needs to be taken out and given a good kicking followed by being urinated on and having a 9mm round put through his face. :(

I find the 9mm round more than a bit harsh. Who knows what personal situation, or problems, the judge might be having to deal with in their private life?

:(

Ok, i'm not having the best day ever.

if he's jailing people inappropriately because of his personal problems, that's hardly an acceptable situation.

I think this is yet another case of `we dont care less what mischief the oiks get into so long as we can find a decent soul who has done something petty to slam.`

This goes on a lot in this country.

Children go to prison for truancy in Texas and for drinking under age. Where do the police and courts find the time to prosecute such "crimes"?

FelixAntonius said:
One of those things where you wonder if the judge is so far up his own arse he is unable to temper the aplication of the law with a little comon sense:-

Texas honor student jailed for missing too much school.

Texas. An honor student named Tran. Yeah. More than a little racism from that judge. And typical, too.

With worldwide outpouring support for Diane Tran against the outrageous ruling of judge Lanny Moriarty, http://helpdianetran.com/ has raised more than $ 100,000 from 49 states and 18 countries and Change.org petition has collected more than 250,000 signatures within 5 days.Judge Lanny Moriarty has come to his sense by signing an order that vacates the contempt of court conviction that sent Diane Tran to jail last week at the request of Montgomery County District Attorney.Diane Tran’s hard work and sacrifices have touched people’s hearts and hopefully life will be kinder for her from now on. http://eyedrd.org/2012/05/jud?ge-lanny- ... tran.h?tml
comment on link from OP.

Back