• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Thai Diners Flock To Flooded Restaurant

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Inundation by monsoon season water levels and tides has only served to boost the popularity of this Thai restaurant.

FloodCafe.jpeg
Thai riverside restaurant finds silver lining in floods

A flood-hit riverside restaurant in Thailand has become an unlikely dining hotspot after fun-loving foodies began flocking to its water-logged deck to eat amid the lapping tide.

Now, instead of empty chairs and vacant tables, the Chaopraya Antique Café is as full as ever, offering an experience the canny owner calls “hot-pot surfing.”

If you like your food washed down with plenty of water, this is the place for you.

Shortly after the water tops the parapet, the first diners arrive. Before long, the deck is crammed with carefree customers happily tucking in as if dining in a deluge is the norm.

The wait staff -– some clad in rubber boots — step gingerly through the swirl that quickly rises to more than 50 centimeters (20 inches).

The restaurant, in Nonthaburi near Bangkok, opened in February in a riverside location ...

But a recent severe tropical storm and heavy monsoon rains combined to raise the river’s water level. Add in the tides and the result has been daily inundation.

Coming straight after a months long coronavirus shutdown, it could have spelled disaster. Instead -– boosted by publicity in the Thai media -- it’s now so popular that customers need to make reservations. ...
FULL STORY (With More Photos): https://apnews.com/article/oddities...iland-floods-367adb4b24f53a90a5c6bd069d105d93

Some Brits did this in Leeds during flooding a few years ago. There were photos of them sitting at beer garden tables up to their waists in filthy-looking water with furniture floating past.

I s'pose it was only slightly worse than normal conditions in Yorkshire.

Some Brits did this in Leeds during flooding a few years ago. There were photos of them sitting at beer garden tables up to their waists in filthy-looking water with furniture floating past.
I s'pose it was only slightly worse than normal conditions in Yorkshire.
John Kelly and Steve Holt - Kirkstall Bridge Inn, November 2015 ...

FloodedPub-Leeds-2015.jpg
Leeds pub garden floods, men go for pint anyway
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-34836397

It could be the case that the Thai restaurant's sudden popularity is based on locals knowing it's the one place where they won't have to deal with foreign tourists. :thought:

I'd be more concerned about what was slithering around my feet under that muddy water. (I've lived in Thailand...)
It could be the next course in your gourmet meal ... :thought:

:willy:

Back