• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

That 3 AM Feeling

If there's something special about 3am, does it change with daylight saving so 'the darkest hour' is actually 4am for 6 months of the year?

crystophalax said:
If there's something special about 3am, does it change with daylight saving so 'the darkest hour' is actually 4am for 6 months of the year?

Maybe it's more of a state of mind...

Going off topic a little bit, daylight saving is something I've never understood anyway. I'm still waiting for someone to explain it to me properly. I mean, all that messing about with time; you can't really get an extra hours daylight you know, however much you fiddle the books!

crystophalax said:
Going off topic a little bit, daylight saving is something I've never understood anyway. I'm still waiting for someone to explain it to me properly. I mean, all that messing about with time; you can't really get an extra hours daylight you know, however much you fiddle the books!
That's what I've been saying for years!

Days are longer in summer, shorter in winter - just live with it!

See eg, Tory MP Proposes 'Berlin Time' for UK

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 13#1043413

Going back on topic, but still rambling about daylight saving. When people quote a stat. like 'most people die at 4am', are they factoring in the clock changes over the year? Do they mean 'most people die at 4am GMT'? It's a bit of stretch to think that people would die an hour later because the clocks had just gone forward, but maybe that is the case. I don't know.

I did a search on most people dying at 4am, but didn't come up with much, though Google lists a post in a thread on the Fortean Times website - hey! Anyway, might be an urban myth.

Back