• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
We used to get a ship in here a few years back Lion I think the name was
but you could ear it 3 or 4 miles out, the noise was the engine room ventilators
you alway knew when she was about.

We used to get a ship in here a few years back Lion I think the name was
but you could ear it 3 or 4 miles out, the noise was the engine room ventilators
you alway knew when she was about.
Lower frequencies of sound do travel further in water (in general in any media, the high frequencies get rolled off quickest), but I wonder if that was the reason?

I wonder if some kind of inversion effect creates an air layer over the water's surface which gave the sound extra carry. I've experienced this at night on quite large lakes where the people over the lake can be very clearly heard, but your mate in the next pitch on your side can't be heard.

A friend lives on a Scottish Loch and when he is on the phone you can ear a generator
of the Donk - Donk- Donk verity that is over 3 miles away powering a house on a island.

A friend lives on a Scottish Loch and when he is on the phone you can ear a generator of the Donk - Donk- Donk verity that is over 3 miles away powering a house on a island.
That reminds me of old fashioned hydraulic water-rams which generally can be heard at quite some distance off.

That reminds me of old fashioned hydraulic water-rams which generally can be heard at quite some distance off.
They were quite a clever bit of kit not heard one running for years.

FT 371 reports a mystery whistle/hum that sounds for two seconds at a time every four minutes in the Dutch town of Leerdam. Might be coming from an old water tower. Can't find an English report online, alas, so don't know if it's still going on.

Yes, I heard a precis of that story (or read it, or whatever) and tried to find out more. I had no joy either :-(

I remember the hum in the 1970's. I think I only heard it at night because there was no other noise. It would build up, last a few seconds and then fade away. This happened quite often and it became annoying.
It's a shame that I never thought to try and record it.

What is the mysterious 'global Hum' – and is it simply noise pollution?

Up to 4% of people are said to hear a strange low-pitched noise known as the Hum, but no source has ever been found.

Whenever I wake up it is there and it is unbelievably loud. When nobody else can hear it you think you are going nuts, and it just wears you down,” says Simon Payne, 55, from Cambridgeshire. Payne is a hearer of the mysterious global phenomenon known as the Hum. “I have been desperate to get away from it, so I have stayed with friends – and even moved house.”

The Hum is experienced as a consistent, low-pitched noise, much like the sound of a large truck idling in a nearby parking lot. Hearers tend to report experiencing it in urban areas – leading some to conclude that it is, in fact, a form of noise pollution screened from most people by the general city soundscape.

It is said to cause symptoms that range from insomnia to headaches to dizziness. But because its actual source is unknown, it is impossible to discern its effects accurately.

The earliest reliable reports of the phenomenon date from the UK in the early 1970s, according to a 2004 investigation by the geoscientist David Deming, a Hum hearer himself. Deming was unable to find a source, urban or otherwise, but despite the tantalising nature of the mystery, his is one of the few formal studies that exist.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/...rious-gl-hum-and-is-it-simply-noise-pollution

maximus otter

Earthquake, rumble or something else? Seismologist says [Florida] Space Coast rattle remains unidentified.

A mysterious rumble that rattled patio doors and shook houses across the Space Coast Friday evening was not an earthquake, said the U.S. Geological Survey. But a seismologist with the agency is hard-pressed to say exactly what it was that shook homes from Cocoa to Merritt Island.

“We looked into this and we didn’t see any evidence of a tectonic earthquake. It could have been something that didn’t originate in the ground,” said Paul Earle, a seismologist with the USGS, the scientific agency that monitors earthquakes across the globe.

“It could be something like a hypersonic jet, munitions…or a sonic boom. Unfortunately, we can't give a definitive answer on exactly what it was,” said Earle, based in Golden, Colorado.

The deep rattling was not detected by the USGS but was reported by residents – many of whom are familiar with the occasional sonic boom from overhead military jets or consistent shaking that follows a rocket launch – on social media about 6 p.m. Friday.

“I felt my sliding doors vibrating for a solid two and a half minutes. I left my bedroom and I went to the front door to look for a rocket .. but I thought I might have missed it,” said Milenka L Smith, a Satellite Beach resident who posted on Facebook about the Friday shaking.

If the strange rumblings had been detected, it would have been the first of its kind, seismic activity for the area since 2006.

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/...nt-hit-space-coast-not-ground-rel/3131001002/

maximus otter

Way back when, maybe 20 years ago, one of the first issues of fortean times I bought had an article about the Hummandruz. I no longer have any of the magazines but I remember this one really intrigued me.

High pressure gas pipelines - it's an interesting theory if not totally convincing..

Are there any recordings of any of these hums? I watched the video - there's lots of talk about hums but no audio. If people can hear it, a quality microphone should pick something up.

I'm not sure what information you could extract from a recording but it would show something's happening..

Unless it's an ultra low subsonic frequency which is felt rather than heard. Some people may have extraordinary hearing which makes them able to hear frequencies lower than the norm, lowest of which is around 50hz as an average. Low frequency sound can travel a long distance because of it's long wavelength.

We've noticed a hum recently. I reckon it's from some nearby bouncy castle/garden pool set-up. Kids play noisily in it all day with breaks for meals. When they're not playing there's still the hum.

It's nice to hear the children having fun with their pals.

Only between 2 and 4 percent here this? Why am I so lucky? :yuck:

I've heard it when I've been staying in a room on the ground or basement level or someone else's home. Mostly I've heard it in the summer. I'm trying to recall if I've ever heard it in the winter. I've heard it in California and in the midwest. It sounds like a giant fan, and throbs like an engine. Often towards dawn it dies down. It's really maddening. It's not just the sound but there's an uncomfortable pressure on my eardrums as well. My understanding is that the older you get, the more likely you are to hear it. I didn't hear it when I was younger, but I didn't stay overnight in many ground floor rooms either.

Long but very interesting article on that subject from "The Atltantic":

Why Everything Is Getting Louder
The tech industry is producing a rising din. Our bodies can’t adapt.

Karthic Thallikar first noticed the noise sometime in late 2014, back when he still enjoyed taking walks around his neighborhood.

It was during one of his strolls that Thallikar first became aware of a low, monotone hum, like a blender whirring somewhere in the distance. It was irritating, but he wrote it off. Someone’s pool pump, probably. On another walk a few days later, he heard it again. A carpet-cleaning machine? he wondered. A few nights later, there it was again. It sounded a bit like warped music from some far-off party, but there was no thump or rhythm to the sound. Just one single, persistent note: EHHNNNNNNNN. Evening after evening, he realized, the sound was there—every night, on every street. The whine became a constant, annoying soundtrack to his walks.

The full article at the link: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/11/the-end-of-silence/598366/

Maybe Karthic Thallikar has tinnitus?

The Golden Gate Bridge is now vying to be the world's biggest "hummer" ...
What's causing a spooky hum to fill parts of San Francisco?

The Golden Gate Bridge hums now.

San Francisco residents shared recordings of the sound on social media last week and over the weekend as high winds swept through the Bay Area. One Twitter user described the sound as a "three-tone dissonant soundtrack," and others reported hearing it from as far away as 3 miles (4.8 kilometers). ...

SF311, which provides non-emergency services and information for San Francisco residents, tweeted that slats installed along the bridge's bike path were responsible for the noise, citing the Golden Gate Bridge sergeant, an officer with the California Highway Patrol. ...

The local National Weather Service office tweeted that west-northwest winds of 30 to 35 mph (48 to 56 km/h) had been reported in the area, with gusts up to 43 mph (67 km/h). Even higher winds were reported in nearby counties. ...

KQED reported that the slats were added as part of a "necessary" long-term effort to make the 83-year-old bridge more aerodynamic and insure its long-term structural integrity. Wind tunnel models of the retrofit had already shown the slats might hum under certain conditions. ...

The effect has turned the bridge into a giant wind instrument — maybe the world's largest — as one Twitter user noted. ...

FULL STORY (With Multiple Videos):
https://www.livescience.com/golden-gate-bridge-hum.html

From mid-April to mid-May we had a strange low volume but discernable hum in North West London.
It was low pitched, rather like an engine idling, and would happen mainly from midnight until 9am.
The noise would last about 8 to 10 seconds, then stop for 2 seconds, then start again.
Annoying, not just a noise, but vibrations one could feel.
My only guess was that it was related to engineering works on nearby train lines.

Here's one in North Wales -

The mystery low humming noise over parts of North Wales that's making people's life a misery

Flintshire Council is investigating the cause of the sound which started six weeks ago and is keeping families awake at night
A mysterious low humming noise is making life a misery for residents in Deeside

The sound over Connah's Quay, Flintshire, first started around six weeks ago and has got more intense over the last month.

It got so bad that local man Richard Field says he's had to leave his home to stay with his girlfriend some nights to get some respite.

He described it as a "humming noise, around 50htz with pressure as if your ears need to pop".

Mr Field, 45, said it usually lasts up to an hour before it stops and then restarts around an hour later, all throughout the night.

etc

I think it is a well known fact by now that some people can hear things that others can't.

Some people can hear themselves blink, some people can hear lamp posts.

I think it is a well known fact by now that some people can hear things that others can't.

Some people can hear themselves blink, some people can hear lamp posts.
My hearing used to be that good when I was young. I can still hear myself blink now, even though I am fairly deaf in one ear.

Another hum. This one is in a village we cycle through on way to the Cheshire Peak District.

Probe launched into 'Haslington hum' that's giving people sleepless nights

An investigation has been launched following complaints of a strange humming sound reportedly being heard across a Cheshire East town.

A Facebook group - called the Haslington Hum - has been set up by residents who have reported hearing the strange sound.

Some neighbours say the "constant hum" has led to sleepless nights, unproductive work days and left many at their wits' end.

However the source of the noise is yet to be found.

Back