• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

That One Time in Taos, New Mexico

Austin Popper

Emperor of Antarctica
Colorado, where the gold is still elusive
One of the most interesting characters, to me, in the UFO field is that astute philosopher and commenter on humanity, Glenn Campbell. Of course, given the nature of the UFO field, that is saying something. He has said he is an agnostic when it comes to UFOs and aliens. If aliens are visiting Earth with any frequency, then they seem to be doing quite a good job of minding their own business at least for the most part. He doesn't have enough information to make an intelligent guess as to who they might be or why they might be here, so he shrugs and goes on with things he finds more interesting. I'm generally in agreement with Glenn on most things, and I find his attitude about aliens refreshing and useful. His writing on a vast array of topics is easy to find and worth reading. I suspect he and I are from the same home planet.

This is one of my best weird stories. It's from my tour bus driving days, a time of rich experience for me and one I look back on with great fondness. I met a lot of interesting people, and saw a great deal of the country from where the rubber meets the road, er, so to speak. The job took me to 48 states, the District of Columbia, and several Canadian provinces. It was a blast, a lot of hard work, and a much-needed break from the life I led previously.

The people in the bus tour business who are usually known as Tour Directors, or Tour Guides, are an odd lot. Some are brilliant, adept at keeping a long road trip interesting for the passengers, helpful in many ways, and highly competent at handling whatever situation confronts them. Others, not so much. The TD who figures in this story was one of the more colorful characters doing the job in the Southwestern US in the early 90s. Drivers either loved her or hated her, it seemed. I could see reasons for either opinion after working with her a couple of times, but she was a good soul. I didn't particularly like her, but I had to respect the job she did from the passengers' point of view. They generally loved her, which was reflected in the tips I got. That didn't hurt. I'll call her Jen.

Near the end of an eleven day tour of the Four Corners area, near the end of a long season of tours, we rolled into Taos one evening. Jen and I were both tired, worn out is probably more like it. The hotel staff were extra kind and helpful that evening, relieving us both of some chores we would normally have done ourselves. I took the opportunity to lie down for a quick nap as soon as I got checked in to my room. I may have been listening to music with some headphones, which I often did in order to unwind. Soon it was obvious I was not going to get a snooze, but whatever. Then I became aware of an annoying presence, at least in my mind. I had a mental image of half a dozen or so beings milling around, with no apparent purpose. What the hell was that about? They seemed like your typical grey alien. They had an aura about them that was not particularly malevolent, but quite dark and not at all friendly. I had not been reading on any weird topics in the previous weeks, mostly because I just didn't have the time. I had heard no references made to aliens or the like during the previous few days. Why this image? It felt more like an unseen presence. I tried a few techniques for banishing such random crap, including addressing them directly and telling them in no uncertain terms to get lost. Nothing worked. Finally I gave up, got up off the bed, and went out to tackle my remaining chores for the evening.

I had to clean the bus, fill the fuel tank, and catch up on my paperwork. As it happened, from the driver's seat I was facing the door to my hotel room. Very soon after I started the engine, the door to the room next to mine opened, and out came Jen. She looked disheveled. She walked toward the bus, with a hotel towel held up to her face. She came to the door and climbed in, obviously agitated. None of this was in character for her. Indeed, just about the last place any TD wanted to be after work was back on the bus. The towel had blood on it. She complained of a nosebleed. "I haven't had a nosebleed since I was a kid," she said. She asked if I was going down to the truck stop for fuel, and I said I was. She asked if she could go along. "Sure," I said, thinking she must be desperate for company if she asked such a thing. The truck stop was no oasis, like some, but really just a large convenience store with diesel pumps and a large lot adjacent. Diesel fuel was not available on every third street corner the way it is these days.

"Could you do me a favor?" Jen asked as we pulled in to the fuel island. "Could you get a copy of the National Enquirer? There is a new one out today." I said I would. Normally, I would sooner buy food at Walmart than even look at the Enquirer, let alone purchase one, but I felt so bad for her I gritted my teeth and bought the stupid thing. By the time I got back to the bus, Jen had pretty well regained her composure and her nose had stopped bleeding. There was never any mention of the evening's weird goings-on, and I never told her of my perceptions or whatever they were from about twenty feet away as she was getting her nosebleed. I never had another episode of repulsive little creeps invading my awareness like that. As I recall, that was the last time I worked with Jen. She would sometimes mention UFOs or aliens in her patter while doing her job, but I never got into any real conversation with her on the topic.

For those not versed in the alien abduction literature of the time, nosebleeds were frequently reported as part of the abduction experience. I don't know what happened with Jen, of course, in the adjacent room while I was dealing with my "intruders" on a mental level, but the correlation to the typical abductee experiences of the time are obvious. I don't have an opinion about what happened that evening, and don't need one. I've never had trouble sleeping at night. I know there is the inevitable flurry of attempts at a "rational explanation" coming down the thread, and that is the right of the participants here, no matter how tiresome it might be for me. I'm just saying I usually don't pay much attention to that sort of thing when it involves a story like this, so to those who will cook up things like, "Sleep paralysis caused by temporal lobe epilepsy was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the infrasound that must have been present for some reason," I'll just make a blanket response here: Yep, that's probably what it was.

I'm happy to clarify any details or context. Dealing with 40 or more people all day long, in an area smaller than a typical American living room is a fascinating experience and one I don't mind revisiting. I've considered getting back into the business as a Tour Director, but at this point I'd have to spend a few thousand dollars for training first. I'm sure glad I didn't spend the time and money doing that recently, since Covid has made a hash of that business. Tour buses are selling for peanuts these days. One can buy a nice bus with fairly low miles for less than a comparable sedan would go for. It's tempting to buy one to make a motorhome out of, but the maintenance and operating expenses are eye watering in comparison to current purchase prices.

Where's the mystery? :dunno:

The ephemeral etheric Greys couldn't successfully link up with your mind. They wanted something, but you wouldn't "let them in." Miffed at being repulsed, they drifted next door and targeted Jen - punching her in the nose first to ensure they got the damned human's attention the second time around. That worked, and they psychically drove Jen to come out and join you on the bus, ride along to the truck stop, and accomplish their objective ...

Greys are nothing if not vain, and they regularly checked National Enquirer to see whether they were maintaining their status as a hot topic in the non-traditional press. They also got a kick out of the Bat Boy stories ...

:evillaugh:

Last edited:
One of the most interesting characters, to me, in the UFO field is that astute philosopher and commenter on humanity, Glenn Campbell. Of course, given the nature of the UFO field, that is saying something. He has said he is an agnostic when it comes to UFOs and aliens. If aliens are visiting Earth with any frequency, then they seem to be doing quite a good job of minding their own business at least for the most part. He doesn't have enough information to make an intelligent guess as to who they might be or why they might be here, so he shrugs and goes on with things he finds more interesting. I'm generally in agreement with Glenn on most things, and I find his attitude about aliens refreshing and useful. His writing on a vast array of topics is easy to find and worth reading. I suspect he and I are from the same home planet.

This is one of my best weird stories. It's from my tour bus driving days, a time of rich experience for me and one I look back on with great fondness. I met a lot of interesting people, and saw a great deal of the country from where the rubber meets the road, er, so to speak. The job took me to 48 states, the District of Columbia, and several Canadian provinces. It was a blast, a lot of hard work, and a much-needed break from the life I led previously.

The people in the bus tour business who are usually known as Tour Directors, or Tour Guides, are an odd lot. Some are brilliant, adept at keeping a long road trip interesting for the passengers, helpful in many ways, and highly competent at handling whatever situation confronts them. Others, not so much. The TD who figures in this story was one of the more colorful characters doing the job in the Southwestern US in the early 90s. Drivers either loved her or hated her, it seemed. I could see reasons for either opinion after working with her a couple of times, but she was a good soul. I didn't particularly like her, but I had to respect the job she did from the passengers' point of view. They generally loved her, which was reflected in the tips I got. That didn't hurt. I'll call her Jen.

Near the end of an eleven day tour of the Four Corners area, near the end of a long season of tours, we rolled into Taos one evening. Jen and I were both tired, worn out is probably more like it. The hotel staff were extra kind and helpful that evening, relieving us both of some chores we would normally have done ourselves. I took the opportunity to lie down for a quick nap as soon as I got checked in to my room. I may have been listening to music with some headphones, which I often did in order to unwind. Soon it was obvious I was not going to get a snooze, but whatever. Then I became aware of an annoying presence, at least in my mind. I had a mental image of half a dozen or so beings milling around, with no apparent purpose. What the hell was that about? They seemed like your typical grey alien. They had an aura about them that was not particularly malevolent, but quite dark and not at all friendly. I had not been reading on any weird topics in the previous weeks, mostly because I just didn't have the time. I had heard no references made to aliens or the like during the previous few days. Why this image? It felt more like an unseen presence. I tried a few techniques for banishing such random crap, including addressing them directly and telling them in no uncertain terms to get lost. Nothing worked. Finally I gave up, got up off the bed, and went out to tackle my remaining chores for the evening.

I had to clean the bus, fill the fuel tank, and catch up on my paperwork. As it happened, from the driver's seat I was facing the door to my hotel room. Very soon after I started the engine, the door to the room next to mine opened, and out came Jen. She looked disheveled. She walked toward the bus, with a hotel towel held up to her face. She came to the door and climbed in, obviously agitated. None of this was in character for her. Indeed, just about the last place any TD wanted to be after work was back on the bus. The towel had blood on it. She complained of a nosebleed. "I haven't had a nosebleed since I was a kid," she said. She asked if I was going down to the truck stop for fuel, and I said I was. She asked if she could go along. "Sure," I said, thinking she must be desperate for company if she asked such a thing. The truck stop was no oasis, like some, but really just a large convenience store with diesel pumps and a large lot adjacent. Diesel fuel was not available on every third street corner the way it is these days.

"Could you do me a favor?" Jen asked as we pulled in to the fuel island. "Could you get a copy of the National Enquirer? There is a new one out today." I said I would. Normally, I would sooner buy food at Walmart than even look at the Enquirer, let alone purchase one, but I felt so bad for her I gritted my teeth and bought the stupid thing. By the time I got back to the bus, Jen had pretty well regained her composure and her nose had stopped bleeding. There was never any mention of the evening's weird goings-on, and I never told her of my perceptions or whatever they were from about twenty feet away as she was getting her nosebleed. I never had another episode of repulsive little creeps invading my awareness like that. As I recall, that was the last time I worked with Jen. She would sometimes mention UFOs or aliens in her patter while doing her job, but I never got into any real conversation with her on the topic.

For those not versed in the alien abduction literature of the time, nosebleeds were frequently reported as part of the abduction experience. I don't know what happened with Jen, of course, in the adjacent room while I was dealing with my "intruders" on a mental level, but the correlation to the typical abductee experiences of the time are obvious. I don't have an opinion about what happened that evening, and don't need one. I've never had trouble sleeping at night. I know there is the inevitable flurry of attempts at a "rational explanation" coming down the thread, and that is the right of the participants here, no matter how tiresome it might be for me. I'm just saying I usually don't pay much attention to that sort of thing when it involves a story like this, so to those who will cook up things like, "Sleep paralysis caused by temporal lobe epilepsy was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the infrasound that must have been present for some reason," I'll just make a blanket response here: Yep, that's probably what it was.

I'm happy to clarify any details or context. Dealing with 40 or more people all day long, in an area smaller than a typical American living room is a fascinating experience and one I don't mind revisiting. I've considered getting back into the business as a Tour Director, but at this point I'd have to spend a few thousand dollars for training first. I'm sure glad I didn't spend the time and money doing that recently, since Covid has made a hash of that business. Tour buses are selling for peanuts these days. One can buy a nice bus with fairly low miles for less than a comparable sedan would go for. It's tempting to buy one to make a motorhome out of, but the maintenance and operating expenses are eye watering in comparison to current purchase prices.
The thing about nosebleeds, is that if you are not from a high altitude with an arid climate you can get them easily when you are in high altitude. Taos is higher in altitude than most of Denver and it is considered high desert which means arid climate (dry). The nose bleed may not have had anything to do with what you experienced, or alien abductions.

Maybe so. Of course it could be a weird coincidence. Jen's behavior that evening was not at all normal, and I have a hard time imagining her being so rattled by what is essentially an annoying situation. She dealt with far worse on a daily basis (people on vacation are insane). As for being acclimated to the altitude, that was not an issue for any of us "crew" as we basically lived in the high desert all summer. This would have been in September, I think. Jen lived in Colorado at the time, at a similar altitude to that of Taos (~7000 feet).

As for nosebleeds in general, I live at 8,000 feet or so now, and have lived at over 7,000 feet for the past six or so years. I don't recall the last time I was aware of anyone getting one, even a tourist of which we get millions every year. Jen's is the only nosebleed I recall during my time as a tour driver, and most of our passengers were from "normal" altitudes. Common symptoms of altitude problems are fatigue, nausea, heart attack, and so on. I had to deal with the latter one time. The guy died. That will test the mettle of the tour guide, as well as everyone else. Fortunately my coworker was a real pro, and had actually dealt with the death of a passenger before. Even with those advantages, it was a tough couple of days in the middle of a really nice tour.

Hi Austin Popper, thanks for sharing your intriguing experience. Have you researched the place where you stayed that night? Or could we research it for you? :) I will admit I'm not big on the grey alien ETH abduction hypothesis but it does feel to me as if you found yourselves in some sort of paranormal window area and I wouldn't be surprised if that location has a reputation for being haunted or such like...?

It was the Ramada Inn, on the south end of Taos. It is apparently still a Ramada, at least nominally, but the south edge of town has moved on. The building looks largely the same, but there is more vegetation around it these days. I believe the fuel station is there, but also different because of the growth of the town. I looked it up after starting this thread. I'll find a link when I get time.

Taos was a very interesting place. It has probably been at least fifteen years since I've been there, and reports are that it has been overrun with tourists, land speculators, house flippers and other opportunists lately. When I was frequenting the town, thirty or so years ago, it was still a very quiet little place with a plaza and other features of old Spanish towns, though gift shops and the like were popping up all over. This time of year, the smell of chiles roasting in portable contraptions is common. I love the food in New Mexico.

There is a haunted hotel in Cimarron, not terribly far away. I had lunch there a few times. The owners were trying pretty hard to capitalize on the place's wild west history, which is real. It was, apparently, a frequent stop for outlaws back in the day. That whole part of the state is gorgeous.

Well now I'm getting different results from Google. Interesting. There is a Ramada downtown, near the plaza, which is not it. The building in question now houses the Taos Valley Lodge, 615 Paseo Del Pueblo Sur, Taos, NM 87571, across the road from the Coffee Apothecary. I've dropped a pin where the bus would have been parked, the windshield facing a few doors on the inside corner of the L shaped building. We used to have to drive the buses around the back of the building in order to leave the property. It was really tight getting around there, but it looks like there is a bit more room for those maneuvers now.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/36%C2%B023'41.4%22N+105%C2%B034'42.9%22W/@36.394831,-105.5789083,147m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d36.3948402!4d-105.5785885

In this Street View, the white car is parked where the front of the bus would have been. My room was on the ground floor, probably behind the dumpster or whatever clutter is there. It was quite a nice place back then, with none of that stuff. Jen's room was adjacent, to the left. I had not known where her room was until I saw her emerge with the towel.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.395...4!1svVCnlDEjLEAp_gDbMm3Qnw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

It was pretty common for the driver and tour guide to be given adjacent rooms, sometimes (if you were lucky) some distance from the rest of the group. Sometimes, though, the driver got the room with the toilet that ran constantly, or the broken table, or the mysterious stain in the carpet. The tour guide filled out a "report" for each hotel or lodging every day, which was sent to their tour company. Hotel managers often knew about this practice, so the guides might get a suite with a hot tub on the fancier tours. The tour guide job is quite the racket for those who want to work the system.

Hi Austin Popper, thanks for sharing your intriguing experience. Have you researched the place where you stayed that night? Or could we research it for you? :) I will admit I'm not big on the grey alien ETH abduction hypothesis but it does feel to me as if you found yourselves in some sort of paranormal window area and I wouldn't be surprised if that location has a reputation for being haunted or such like...?
It is New Mexico. The whole state is in a constant state of paranormal events. I mentioned the altitude and dry air only to eliminate the mundane. My cousin lived in Angel Fire (close to Taos) and I visited once. I never could tell if the weirdness going on was because of her (I had experienced other things with her and she had quite erratic energy). It is a beautiful place though. Some people hear a constant hum in that area and others don't.

Back