• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Militant Or Closed-Minded Skeptics

Wombat68

I'll be chilling at Booya Moon
Today I ventured onto a site with a name that sounds like slumspet to look at there Unexplained threads. I do read these things with a healthy dose of scepticism all though I have had unexplained things happen to me. Well everything was lovely until a raving harridan came on to tell us that they know there is nothing supernatural in this world whatsoever and we must be of very low intelligence to think there is, which was nice. I merely asked what made them come to this conclusion and be able to definitely state this as a fact. Cue more raving and threats of reporting me to the admins :oops::oops: I do wonder why people who feel like this venture onto a thread called Unexplained!!

Today I ventured onto a site with a name that sounds like slumspet to look at there Unexplained threads. I do read these things with a healthy dose of scepticism all though I have had unexplained things happen to me. Well everything was lovely until a raving harridan came on to tell us that they know there is nothing supernatural in this world whatsoever and we must be of very low intelligence to think there is, which was nice. I merely asked what made them come to this conclusion and be able to definitely state this as a fact. Cue more raving and threats of reporting me to the admins :oops::oops: I do wonder why people who feel like this venture onto a thread called Unexplained!!
Some people are just angry and want something to rant about or someone to rant at. Often there's no rational about it either and any attemted form of debate usually just ends with more ranting and huff and puff.

There are some people on there who are - I hate to say it - incredibly credulous ('my son put his toy dog in his bed and when I came in in the morning it was on the floor - do you think we've got a poltergeist?' type of credulous), and others who are very hard-line sceptic. Because it's not a site like this lovely one here, dedicated to reasoned and rational discussion of the Fortean, the sceptics seemed determined to wade in with their 'it's all a load of bollocks' opinions whenever anyone raises the subject.

I was on there the other day, saying that complete denial was really a manefestation of fear of the unknown. That went well...

I am always naturally cautious when people are very adamant about anything. It strikes me that they could easily be ‘riding for a fall’, to use an old-fashioned expression. By and large, folks in here are open-minded and reasonable, and veer away from being harsh or strident, even when they are of differing opinions. Having never ventured onto ‘Slumspet’ - mainly as I am not a ‘slum’ - though I guess anyone can go on there? - I have to say what I heard has disinclined me to sample it.

Some people are just angry and want something to rant about or someone to rant at.
That's the only reason that we allow Trev on here. He saves us from taking our anger out on anyone else.

It does make the old mind boggle though, as to why someone with such a hatred (and not mere scepticism) of a particular subject would bother to go on that thread in the first place.

I go onto Slumspet even though I am not a Slum, it's not the law. I like the woo threads. You do get the whole range of people on there because it has such a huge membership. They have some great stories to tell, especially haunted workplaces.

Yes there are some nice posters on the site I just don't understand how some seem absolutely certain that anything a bit woo is all rubbish and not true
They want to believe that. Anything else being real would threaten their world view and force them to have to adjust their thinking so, like many sceptics, they like to leap in to try to talk down anyone that thinks differently. And over on Slumsnet there are, as I said, some rather credulous beings who post 'It Must Be A Ghost!!!!' (or demon, if they're American), when there is an obvious and straightforward explanation, which gives the sceptics a perfect platform.

There's a site with both unexplained and mysteries in its title with a forum for things unexplained and virtually every poster believes all things are not only well explained but they personally have the answers. If you argue with them the moderators will close the thread.

I can kindda understand how some people believe everything is known but how can they delude themselves into believing they have all the answers. The older I get the fewer answers I have and I started out with fewer than most. In my experience most people with all the answers don't even understand high school physics. They're always willing to lecture you though.

There's a site with both unexplained and mysteries in its title with a forum for things unexplained and virtually every poster believes all things are not only well explained but they personally have the answers. If you argue with them the moderators will close the thread.

I can kindda understand how some people believe everything is known but how can they delude themselves into believing they have all the answers. The older I get the fewer answers I have and I started out with fewer than most. In my experience most people with all the answers don't even understand high school physics. They're always willing to lecture you though.
''The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing''
Maximus Otter.

I mean Socrates, Socrates said it, not Maximus. I'm always getting those two mixed up.

It is weird, isn't it? A lot of the respondents on Slumsnet (and similar fora) purport to be well-educated and rational. Yet if anyone posts about something inexplicable (at least, to them) that happens, you can practically guarantee the entire thread will be peppered with posts like 'well, the supernatural doesn't exist, so it must be something explicable, mustn't it?'

It's as though they absolutely HAVE to believe it.

Years ago I worked in a job, and myself and a colleague were discussing whether the Ancient Egyptians had electricity, perhaps generated from a battery.
I offered the view that it was probable they had some form of it, though very limited compared to today's world.

A colleague at the next desk overheard us, and instead of politely asking to join in the discussion, snapped that he though I was talking rubbish.
He said it with a real anger in his voice, then proceeded to point me out to various people in th eoffice and tell them "This idiot thinks the Ancient Egyptians had electricity".

He carried this on for a few days, and I could feel a very angry vibe around him.

He made no attempt to offer any explanation behind his viewpoint or his anger.

Other than that all I knew about him was that he was cheating on his wife with a woman who worked in the office, and did little to hide it.

I left the company about a month later, for reasons not connected to this.

But it shows how some people simply are not reasonable.

I don't know why this is.

Last edited:
Years ago I worked in a job, and myself and a colleague were discussing whether the Ancient Egyptians had electricity, perhaps generated from a battery.
I offered the view that it was probable they had some form of it, though very limited compared to today's world.

A colleague at the next desk overheard us, and instead of politely asking to join in the discussion, snapped that he though I was talking rubbish.
He said it with a real anger in his voice, then proceeded to point me out to various people in th eoffice and tell them "This idiot thinks the Ancient Egyptians had electricity".

He carried this on for a few days, and I could feel a very angry vibe around him.

He made no attempt to offer any explanation behind his viewpoint or his anger.

Other than that all I knew about him was that he was cheating on his wife with a woman who worked in the office, and did little to hide it.

I left the company about a month later, for reasons not connected to this.

But it shows how some people simply are not reasonable.

I don't know why this is.

I've mentioned the Egyptians knew ice and gotten the same response but the writing refers to hail storms so of course they knew ice. It gets cold enough they could make it through an evaporative process but everyone thinks ancient people were idiots.

They were also familiar with the the hydraulic cycle and actually describe it in the writing!

They also describe in excellent scientific detail how rainbows are formed. By the by the Great Pyramid angle is the color red in the secondary rainbow and the angle down the corners is the color red in the primary rainbow. They refer to the water droplets as the "light scatterer of the sky" which create "steps of light".

You can't tell these people anything and they look right through you.

They not only knew that lightning was electricity but apparently suspected the nervous system and the control of the heart worked similarly.

324a. To say: N. is a heart-beat, son of the heart of Shu,
324b. wide-outstretched, a blinding light.
324c. It is N. who is a flame (moving) before the wind to the ends of heaven and to the end of the earth,
324d. as soon as the arms of the lightning are emptied of N.

Every indication is this was written before 3000 BC and was definitively earlier than 2250 BC.

The meaning remains somewhat enigmatic but everyone believes they understand it perfectly. No two Egyptologists agree on the meaning of anything.

I believe ancient people were a different species and we are homo omnisciencis because we think we know everything.

''The only true wisdom is knowing that you know nothing''
Maximus Otter.

I mean Socrates, Socrates said it, not Maximus. I'm always getting those two mixed up.

giphy.gif

maximus otter

Arthur Koestler questioning the unexplained. What a low intelligence idiot.

I would turn a question on its head to any hard line sceptic with such intolerance and ask them 'just what is it you are so afraid it's that something outside of your world view may be factual but not understood.

Back