As others have stated, we have too much traffic, urban sprawl is real and now people are talking about having to deal with it now, not in another 30 years.
People who aspire to have a career in politics need votes. Our voting seasons are every four years for every level of government. People who want to stay in politics pander to those who will vote and some who have money that will come with their votes (political contributions).
The majority of people who can vote, don't. That is why you may have 40% of voting public (and these numbers are decreasing) and end up with 20% of total voting population making the decisions for the other 80%. Even these percentages do not account for the full population of a town or country.
WHO, WEP exist because that is one of the only ways that some of our problems as humans worldwide can even start to be addressed. We, ourselves feel like very little fish in a pond. But our role, I think, is to be aware of the functions and functioning of these entities. They need to remain global without a person within these groups gaining from them personally.
The opposite and, to me, odd reaction is that many mainstream people now are going with the conspiracy theorists and giving up their autonomy to an unknown and definitely not society minded entity.
I think that this, in part is due to social media manipulation as well as the apathy that most people have shown towards the world issues. @Trevp666
has mentioned the NIMBY response and yes, people will say "this needs to be done, but, by the way, not here".
Just as an example, Ontario tried to lower automobile emissions and did have a program where every 5 years people would have to provide a certificate from a Drive Clean testing facility. The vehicle owner paid for this test.
The problems? Only cars and only gas driving ones were targeted. Trucks and diesel were exempt. So along came the auto industry who invented SUVs. They were not classified as cars. Guess what became the biggest selling vehicle?
The other stupid thing the government did? The testing equipment cost the host company a pretty penny, but the cost they could charge for the testing was mandated by the government (of course because it made the program). The cost, in no way covered the expense of the equipment nor time taken to do the test. So there were some shady things that some companies did in trying to recoup their costs.
I had a vehicle tested one year at a place I can't remember. It was driving fine when it was taken in, but it failed the test. So I have to fix whatever was deemed to be the problem and retest. Ok. Except when I drove it after this, it gobbled fuel. This was noticed immediately by the fuel gauge dropping quickly, not a few weeks later.
My husband looked under the hood, and also asked my brother, who is a diesel mechanic to have a look. He found a wire that may have been snipped, but you can't prove it. Even my brother agreed as there was no corrosion on the wire and the car certainly was using fuel. The cost to have this repaired (because it wouldn't pass the test) could have been several hundred dollars. My husband went to a used auto parts dealer and was able to get only the wire and fixed it.
We then went to another Drive Clean testing centre to have it tested. Everyone knew that you never took your vehicle back to the same testing facility as the one which failed your car. Nor did you use them for your repairs.
So ideas can be good, but applying them without good forethought is the problem.