• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
To steal and adapt a line from the comments to the ensuing article, if Death turns up and accepts a challenge for your soul, this may well be your go-to board game (assuming you can't find Twister):

iyh5s7dgcbtwtgfdo1cm-2.jpg

It’ll take you about 1,500 hours (or 62 days) to complete a full play of The Campaign For North Africa. The game itself covers the famous WWII operations in Libya and Egypt between 1940 and 1943. Along with the opaque rulebook, the box includes 1,600 cardboard chits, a few dozen charts tabulating damage, morale, and mechanical failure, and a swaddling 10-foot long map that brings the Sahara to your kitchen table. You’ll need to recruit 10 total players, (five Allied, five Axis,) who will each lord over a specialized division. The Front-line and Air Commanders will issue orders to the troops in battle, the Rear and Logistics Commanders will ferry supplies to the combat areas, and lastly, a Commander-in-Chief will be responsible for all macro strategic decisions over the course of the conflict. If you and your group meets for three hours at a time, twice a month, you’d wrap up the campaign in about 20 years.

Elsewhere:

The thick, black-and-white rulebook packaged with every copy of the 1979 war-game The Campaign For North Africa is full of obtuse decrees, but the tabletop community always had a special appreciation for entry 52.6 - affectionately known as the “macaroni rule.” The Italian troops in World War II were outfitted with noodle rations, and in the name of historical dogma, the player responsible for the Italians is required to distribute an extra water ration to their forces, so that their pasta may be boiled. Soldiers that do not receive their “pasta point” may immediately become “disorganized,” rendering them useless in the field. It’s a fact of life really: if the Italians can’t boil their pasta, the Italians may desert.

Continued:

https://kotaku.com/the-notorious-bo..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The man who wrote it has never played it and it seems to revolve around complex cycles of maintenance and supply. It would probably be simpler and more rewarding to get a job in a military commissariat.

The map, incidentally, is 10' long.

z3hgswszaly7neyciymn.jpg

To steal and adapt a line from the comments to the ensuing article, if Death turns up and accepts a challenge for your soul, this may well be your go-to board game (assuming you can't find Twister):

View attachment 6223

It’ll take you about 1,500 hours (or 62 days) to complete a full play of The Campaign For North Africa. The game itself covers the famous WWII operations in Libya and Egypt between 1940 and 1943. Along with the opaque rulebook, the box includes 1,600 cardboard chits, a few dozen charts tabulating damage, morale, and mechanical failure, and a swaddling 10-foot long map that brings the Sahara to your kitchen table. You’ll need to recruit 10 total players, (five Allied, five Axis,) who will each lord over a specialized division. The Front-line and Air Commanders will issue orders to the troops in battle, the Rear and Logistics Commanders will ferry supplies to the combat areas, and lastly, a Commander-in-Chief will be responsible for all macro strategic decisions over the course of the conflict. If you and your group meets for three hours at a time, twice a month, you’d wrap up the campaign in about 20 years.

Elsewhere:

The thick, black-and-white rulebook packaged with every copy of the 1979 war-game The Campaign For North Africa is full of obtuse decrees, but the tabletop community always had a special appreciation for entry 52.6 - affectionately known as the “macaroni rule.” The Italian troops in World War II were outfitted with noodle rations, and in the name of historical dogma, the player responsible for the Italians is required to distribute an extra water ration to their forces, so that their pasta may be boiled. Soldiers that do not receive their “pasta point” may immediately become “disorganized,” rendering them useless in the field. It’s a fact of life really: if the Italians can’t boil their pasta, the Italians may desert.

Continued:

https://kotaku.com/the-notorious-bo..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The man who wrote it has never played it and it seems to revolve around complex cycles of maintenance and supply. It would probably be simpler and more rewarding to get a job in a military commissariat.

The map, incidentally, is 10' long.

View attachment 6224
I'll be Rommel.

I played Risk for the first time ever last weekend. That took over 5 hours. But 1500 hours! Jesus, it would be quicker to actually invade North Africa than play the game.

You'd be 750 hours through when your mum would pop her head around the door of your room and say 'I've tidied up that stuff on the table in the cellar and put it back in the box, you need to tidy up when you've had friends round, wait why are you crying?'

I'll be General Neame--that way I get an early bath in a cushy Italian POW camp, my family owns a large brewery and I have already got a VC so nobody can be too pissed off that I got captured in the first place.

I'll be General Neame--that way I get an early bath in a cushy Italian POW camp, my family owns a large brewery and I have already got a VC so nobody can be too pissed off that I got captured in the first place.
...taking it too seriously again. :rolleyes:

I played Risk for the first time ever last weekend. That took over 5 hours. But 1500 hours! Jesus, it would be quicker to actually invade North Africa than play the game.
I have to say, Risk was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the thread title. Mind you, as an adolescent, I occasionally managed to ward off my swooning admirers for long enough to set up a game of Car Wars. Each phase in that game represented one tenth of a second of game-time, yet you still couldn't be sure that you'd finish in a day. 1500 counters sounds about right for CW, too. Fun times.

I can imagine a group of bearded and unkempt men, covered in dust, emerging from a room after three months and shielding their eyes against the glare of the sun.

"Nigel won."
Unusual use of the word 'won'.

:rofl2:

Now Monopoly has a reputation for running to seemingly interminable durations.

Here's an article on the 'longest' (it went on for five days and they gave up) and shortest games.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200219-why-monopoly-is-such-a-bad-game

The shortest, involving seven very specific rolls, a certain card, thirteen seconds and one bankruptcy is staged here:

Back