• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The 37th Parallel

Indieanorak

Fresh Blood
Forgive me if there has already been a thread on this (being a newbie to the Forum). I've just finished reading Ben Mezrich's book which I was led to by the Hellier documentary. Both posit that something strange is happening along the 37th Parallel (N) especially in the USA, where the majority of USA sightings, cattle mutilations, military bases, Native American sacred sites, and places of high strangeness seem to be situated. I though I'd have a quick check to see which, if any, European sites are also situated on the 37th Parallel. The first one I checked, Gobleki Tepi turns out to be situated at 37.33 degrees north, as do Çatalhöyük a very large Neolithic and Chalcolithic proto-city settlement in southern Anatolia (37.66 degrees north) and Nevalı Çori - another early Neolithic settlement in Anatolia, Turkey (37.5 degrees north).
Does anyone know a database has been produced of all 37th Parallel sites, events etc worldwide? A huge task I know !

I'm not aware of any such data set / database. As far as I know such a locational reference has yet to be compiled.

To the extent anyone's collated any location data it's not clear that the alleged concentration of paranormal incidents around the 37th parallel is supported by the statistics.

For example ... This article on the Syracuse New Times blog describes a survey of 2018 US UFO sightings locations based on MUFON and NUFORC data and sorted by latitude. The 37th parallel ranks no better than 11th on the list of US parallels, and some of the others had 2 or 3 times as many incidents as the 37th.

https://www.syracusenewtimes.com/blog-37th-parallel-ufo-super-highway/

Interesting - thanks. It could be that Chuck Zukowski, the UFO hunter featured in Mezrich's book, was just concentrating on cases on the 37th Parallel so that's what he found. Once you are looking for patterns in the landscape you tend to find them - a bit like Henry Lincoln and his pentagrams in the landscape around Rennes Le Chateau.

Back