• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Yes, it's definitely high weirdness, even though not necessarily enough proof of some arcane conspiracy.

If the coincidence of a man looking like Capt Richard Scobee, being a similar age as Richard Scobee would be now, being called Richard Scobee wasn't an amazing enough coincidence - being the CEO of a company whose website that opens with a rocket launch and then a swirl of white smoke against a blue sky. Regardless of how much you pass it off as coincidence that is one hell of a freaky coincidence. Anyone who says the caterpillars of swirling smoke against the blue sky isn't the first visual image they have when thinking of the Challenger explosion is a liar.

Regardless, the number of coincidences combined to create a scenario whereby four members of the seven crew could have doppelgängers with the same name, at the right age and whom have curious/coincidental links to the Challenger story... That is something in itself, whatever it is.

I don't think there is independent confirmation of the story posted on the website. If there was (as I said before) the press would be all over it.

Is the website story 'one hell of a freaky coincidence', or an example of creative writing?
It's only a 'freaky coincidence' if it's true, but not if it's pure fiction, made up to create a hoax.

Americans (and the world) should be really interested in this, but I don't see the interest outside of a website. How do the families of the dead astronauts feel about this? Or are they part of the hoax too?

Too many things just don't add up.

It's a hoax in poor taste.

If you can't click on the links I've already posted to independent websites that verify the names and/or coincidental stories surrounding the people then I can't do much more for you...

No, no major news source has run with the story, but then at present it is just a theory posted on a 'crank' website. Expect to read the EXCLUSIVE in the Express in about two years.

No, no major news source has run with the story, but then at present it is just a theory posted on a 'crank' website. Expect to read the EXCLUSIVE in the Express in about two years.
I may not live that long...

Ah well, it's been a good life! I'd like to state that should anything happen a. I am far too scared of dying to commit suicide, b. far too happy with my life to just disappear, c. drive quite carefully and have my car serviced regularly to make sure that things like brakes are always in good working order, d. apart from caffeine and alcohol (in moderation) don't do drugs of any sorts - I'll rarely take a paracetamol or ibuprofen, e. hate heights so avoid climbing up towers, driving over high bridges, etc.

So you've just told them all the ways not to bump you off. It will be sudden natural causes that takes you...

I presume if she replies and says "Sorry, I am most certainly not Judith Resnik of the Challenger crew..." we are going to take her word and never speak of this again? ;)

Let's hope she says a bit more than that.

Anyway, things to watch out for as seen in Capricorn One: the brakes being cut in your car so you drive off a bridge, drugs planted in your home so you're arrested, visit a Wild West theme park and you'll be shot at with real bullets, armed black helicopters that can only be stopped with a Telly Savalas. Know your enemy.

Scobee-Dooby-Doo! Who are you? :D

Let's hope she says a bit more than that.

Anyway, things to watch out for as seen in Capricorn One: the brakes being cut in your car so you drive off a bridge, drugs planted in your home so you're arrested, visit a Wild West theme park and you'll be shot at with real bullets, armed black helicopters that can only be stopped with a Telly Savalas. Know your enemy.

I think that could be going a tad too far. Especially when a burst laser could cook your brain from orbit in a gazillionth of a second.

On a more serious note regarding this case. Would changing your name create a more legally documented paper trail than keeping it as it is?

On a more serious note regarding this case. Would changing your name create a more legally documented paper trail than keeping it as it is?

Depends who is changing it for you.

If we were to believe the CIA, or some other organisation, took these people direct from the NASA Space Centre and sent them off with new identities to live in anonymity I guess there would be no paper.

That this didn't happen - if the crew were stooges in a faked crash - is what makes the story so weird. To look at, the evidence is impressive and the theory plausible. In reality, it just flies against all we would believe to happen in a conspiracy like this.

Yes. And to go back to the original point, if wrong, it is extremely bad taste and disheartening for the relatives of those who suffered the loss of loved ones on that mission.
However... I can't help but look at the pics and the names and their job roles and think ...HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

If you disappear or have an unfortunate accident, then we'll know it's not a hoax...

Well not really. I know where I can get quite a good likeness for a replacement avatar.
url

Sesame Street's Big Bird could've been on that flight! :eek:

Caroll Spinney celebrates 45 years as Sesame Street's Big Bird

He has performed alongside countless movie stars, musicians and politicians.

And he was even offered a seat as Big Bird on the ill-fated Space Shuttle Challenger in 1986 in a bid to get children more interested in the NASA program when Star Wars was all the rage.

But there wasn't enough room for the costume, which is more than eight feet tall, sparing Spinney from the tragedy that saw the Challenger break apart 73 seconds into its flight, killing all seven people on board.

"We were taping another episode of Sesame Street at the time it went up and they said, 'The ship is about to take off so we’re going to punch the broadcast of the takeoff onto the monitors on the set.' So we stopped working and watched the monitors and when we saw it blow up, it was like my scalp crawled," recalled Spinney.

"I couldn’t believe how horrible that was and we were grieving for the pilots and the teacher [Christa McAuliffe], for their families and them losing their life like that. So tragic."

Caroll Spinney...another American man with a woman's name...:D

It gets worse. Or better, depending upon which way round you hold the telescope.

Remember: we are Forteans. Or we wouldn't be here. My perspective, restated again, is that I am skeptical about everything...whether that be Official Narratives, or outlandish theories.

And whilst you mull that over, remember also back to the second Shuttle disaster. Is this photograph just evidence that the genetic commonalities between those that make the grade to become part of The Right Stuff will create a clan of lookalikes?

Or does this somehow become even stranger and less comprehensible yet?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Rg45rb4NaPM/UA3PlVeIHWI/AAAAAAAAAmo/C8dgvGSwQjU/s1600/image895_mcauliffe is clark.jpg
image895_mcauliffe+is+clark.jpg

They do look spookily similar.
They both have the regulation female astronaut hairstyle.

Is this photograph just evidence that the genetic commonalities between those that make the grade to become part of The Right Stuff will create a clan of lookalikes?

This, I think. Or something similar. I've seen plenty of examples of people who work in the same field having more than a passing resemblance to each other.

A funny example of this is when my brother went to visit the animation studio at Disney and the security guard showed him into the employee area, believing he worked there. When my brother told him of his error, he was surprised, and said "you look like an animator". The thing was, my brother was an animator...just not for Disney.

Something similar probably happens when pets and their humans begin to resemble each other. Though why all this should happen is probably another Fortean subject all together...

Ulalume said:
This, I think. Or something similar. I've seen plenty of examples of people who work in the same field having more than a passing resemblance to each other
Yes, undoubtedly correct. To the extent that there will likely be bell-curve conformity, within perhaps all professional tribes, on all sorts of levels. I do remember a British tv gameshow years back, run by Noel Edmunds (@Ulalume , I think BBC America will have spared you this delicacy) where vocationally-aggregated groups of clone competitors carried out pointless competitive team tasks for our entertainment. Kindergarten teachers versus Firefighters, you get the trope, I'm sure.

But there may be something else going on here, with these Shuttle crew comparisons. As an experienced omniskeptic observer of long standing, I say there is undoubtedly much that is constructively managed regarding NASA's depicted output. As a marketing (and proxy defense) arm of the richest and most powerful nation on earth, that should come as no surprise to anyone.

What may shock many, especially those who are members of the belief community that is scientific rationalism, who accept all technological accomplishments on trust, is the depth and extent to which this may be the case.

In times of war (declared, undeclared, or even real) the first and most enduring casualty is always truth. The second victim is certainty. But the eternal survivor is intention.

Either the numerous instances of perceptably-implausible NASA imagery are:

- real evidence of concealment / misrepresentation, or;
- harmless coincidences, or;
- cheese-scented chunks in mysterious mousetraps, or;
- weapons of mass distraction.

We should and must avoid being taken-in by anything we see, at all. I wish I had more time (in each day, and left to me) to explain this more, and also to continue trying to expand my own analysis and understanding.

Ulalume said:
Something similar probably happens when pets and their humans begin to resemble each other. Though why all this should happen is probably another Fortean subject all together...
Yes please. Irrespective of priorities, this deserves a full treatment. Has it not been already fielded upon these hallowed boards in days of yestergone?

It gets worse. Or better, depending upon which way round you hold the telescope.

Remember: we are Forteans. Or we wouldn't be here. My perspective, restated again, is that I am skeptical about everything...whether that be Official Narratives, or outlandish theories.

And whilst you mull that over, remember also back to the second Shuttle disaster. Is this photograph just evidence that the genetic commonalities between those that make the grade to become part of The Right Stuff will create a clan of lookalikes?

Or does this somehow become even stranger and less comprehensible yet?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Rg45rb4NaPM/UA3PlVeIHWI/AAAAAAAAAmo/C8dgvGSwQjU/s1600/image895_mcauliffe is clark.jpg
image895_mcauliffe+is+clark.jpg

The big mystery is how only seven years passed between 1986 and 2003!

A big issue for me is that I can't see any benefit, for the US government in general. for NASA itself, or anyone, really - in faking those astronaut's deaths. If they had wanted to cut the space program (the only reason I can see for doing such a thing ) all the government would have had to do is cut it - it's highly doubtful that the American people would have been hammering on the White House door demanding more space exploration. By 1986, the drama of the "space race" had long died down, and while Reagan had everyone paranoid about the Soviet Union, the focus then was all about missile defense, instead of besting the Russians by appearing to be on the forefront of scientific discovery.

Had they wanted more money for the space program, they could have used the same reasoning (missile defense). Again, no need to stage a public tragedy that made NASA look bad.

A conspiracy about the 86 explosion that I'm more likely to believe is that Reagan had intended to speak to the shuttle crew in space at his State of the Union address, and there was pressure to go ahead with the launch in spite of technical problems with the shuttle. Risking the crew to make a showy gesture to the country (and the world) - that, to me, is more believable.

As for the more recent shuttle explosion (which undoubtedly did happen, because my sister's family heard it and found a piece of the wreckage in their pasture) I can think of even less benefit to engineering such a charade. There simply would have been no point, either nationally or internationally. To put the supposedly dead astronauts back to work after such a sham would be nonsensical in the extreme, even by government standards.

I do think this particular conspiracy theory springs from our brain's tendency to find patterns and attribute meaning to those patterns. This tendency is something that helps us survive, but can become delusion when carried to extremes.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

Either the numerous instances of perceptably-implausible NASA imagery are:

- real evidence of concealment / misrepresentation, or;
- harmless coincidences, or;
- cheese-scented chunks in mysterious mousetraps, or;
- weapons of mass distraction.
After a lifetime of looking at NASA imagery I have never seen anything 'perceptably implausible'. This picture of McAuliffe compared to Clark is not in the slightest bit implausible.
Here's Laurel Clark
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...l_Clark,_NASA_photo_portrait_in_blue_suit.jpg
Here's Christa McAuliffe
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ristaMcAuliffe.jpg/640px-ChristaMcAuliffe.jpg
apart from the hairstyle (which is a different colour) they do not resemble each other.

Back