• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It's affecting pie shops now that's just not on, I am wondering if this
is a bad software update on the servers or some kind of attack, I am
always suspicious when normally reliable robust and secure systems
start to have problems. :dunno:
The two most likely things to bring the UK to it's knees are disabling
it's pie shops and it's bogs, not many computerised bogs about so
are they going for the pie shops?:)
:omr:

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-03-20/greggs-shut-after-it-outage-affects-payment-systems
Traffic lights next. Now that would be fun.
(Unless you're in Egypt, where they are pretty much ignored anyway).

They would fix that vulnerability then the hackers would start again looking for another way in,
and so it goes on.

The government may fine them under data protection but the customers end up with the
sticky end of the stick and having to pay the fine through higher prices to boot.

We have had several ransomware attacks on our smaller hospitals and municipal offices. It is rarely publicized. It takes these services a long time to restore what has been taken.
A large majority of UK Universities have had major attacks over the last few years. Worst I know of was Loughborough Uni had all their IT financial systems hijacked and completely drained.
I "believe" but can't verify that Gov stepped in on the quiet and reimbursed - the public explanation was it wasn't that bad - this was definately covered up. It caused a huge panic amongst all University and higher education IT departments in the UK.
All student, staff and anyone that had ever had contact with them - all their details were breached and anyone paying money to the University was actually paying the hackers for a short period.
Most staff in higher education had our pension details hacked about a year ago as well - I'm still having to use Experian etc to keep an eye on this.
It's very widespread and the media and powers that be tend to try and keep a lid on it, so as not to alarm the public or cause a loss of faith in banking systems I assume.

Had a Facebook memories pop up from 2016, which made me think of this thread.
To quote myself:
So, earlier today I was stood in a queue in a shop.
The dude in front of me was spending a significant amount, all in cash.
The girl at the till made some comment about the wedge and said dude went into a long ramble about how he only ever dealt in cash cos he knew "...the Jews and their New World Order..." wanted everyone to use cards so we could be controlled, and he would *never* cede control or his money to the Jews...
The shop we were in...?
M&S...

Or would inform potential hackers that it was possible.
Let me be blunt, as an IT professional for 40 years with specialties in data analysis / data protection. A sufficiently motivated black hat hacker will always be ahead of the security systems. Recently in a relatively peaceful world only individuals have had that motivation. Hence the Dark Web and the horrible things that go on there.

Now, with global conflict stirring, whole nations will be trying to disrupt, and Russia and Israel are two countries who already have exceptionally good IT people with the right skills.

Which is why the trust put in AI/Cloud/robots , no matter how currently fashionable, is naïve and irresponsible. You MUST have human checks on what is going on and human centric backup positions.

Don’t worry. Your money’s safe.
2F6C8CC4-863E-4CE2-A6CC-7AC27EACBB40.jpeg

Barclays meltdown: Bank apologises after error left customers locked out of their mobile banking accounts - with company 'working to fix' the glitch​

Barclays has apologised after a glitch caused a meltdown, leaving customers locked out of their mobile banking accounts.

The major bank added that it was 'working to fix' the error which saw some users unable to receive wages and pay bills.

The issue, which was first reported at around 9.15pm on Tuesday, affected Barclays's online transaction system and its telephone banking service, BBC News reported.

The bank later confirmed, in an update on X, formerly Twitter, that it had sorted out the errors on its app and its online banking system.

Card transactions and cash withdrawals were not affected by the meltdown, according to Barclays.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ses-error-mobile-banking-technical-issue.html

Frankly. the banks will be looking at ALL the legal ramifications.

Yeah.
Has-been actor meme PROVES financial mismanagement.
Not sure if that’s referring to my whimsical addition of the great Jim Bowen but he was a teacher turned stand up comedian who presented a darts show that gave out cash in tiny amounts and prizes like teasmades, hostess trolleys and music centres that always seemed old tech even then. His catchphrases were ‘Your money’s safe’ and ‘You get nothing in this game for two in a bed’. Old episodes of Bullseye are shown on Freeview and show how the working classes were fairly clued up on politics, literature and general knowledge. Highlights include teams from the Midlands winning speedboats even though they couldn’t be further from the sea and the losers being taunted by the ending ‘Look what you could have won’ as Jim wheeled them towards a brown Allegro as the more sombre, mocking version of the theme music was played. Perfect Sunday afternoon family viewing.

Yup.
He's the one.
I recall being forced by the family to watch Bullseye many a time. My personal favourite 'piss take' was "You'll go choo-choo-choo with this toy train set!" and "You've won a top-of-the-range wheelbarrow!"
Your point is ... ?*

* "Whimsical" I'll grant you, but I still don't understand the connection. I'm dense so it needs explaining.

We should have a Bullseye topic. It's bizarre how it, possibly one of the lowest rent TV game shows ever, still has a following and is constantly reshown when other much more sophisticated game shows of the time have disappeared without trace.

I used to wonder how many times the two winning contestants ended up in a life long feud over how they split up their prizes.

Like the speedboats won on Sale of The Century.
So coming from Norfolk ... er ... Anglia TV, they had a great sponsor. I wonder if they benefited from the deal?

Yup.
He's the one.
I recall being forced by the family to watch Bullseye many a time. My personal favourite 'piss take' was "You'll go choo-choo-choo with this toy train set!" and "You've won a top-of-the-range wheelbarrow!"
Your point is ... ?*

* "Whimsical" I'll grant you, but I still don't understand the connection. I'm dense so it needs explaining.
Ok. How about Reg Varney - Stan Butler from On the Buses was the first person to use an ATM in the UK. That’s relevant to a cashless society.

Back