• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Tanita Tikaram is from Basingstoke.

Yep, that'll do. Though my thorough research suggests that Sharon Davies, David Wilkie and Duncan Goodhew are Bracknellers.
There are plenty of famous people in the area. Just not born there.

I seem to recall there being a very nice Bejam (could be a false memory).

There was one in Barnes too. That begins with a 'B' as well - but this time I know Tinita Tikaram doesn't come from there :)

" A band hag ??"

Oh no, that's Yoko Ono.

Sorry; did the garden today and think I might have sunstroke.

We visited Bracknell probably 15 years back sister in law was high up in the met office there
and we were staying with her, some relation of the wife had written a book about the area
and we decided to visit the liberty to see if they had one we could look at, we explained
what we wanted and much to our surprise not only did they treat us very well they gave us
a copy of the book to keep, I was most surprised.

Ive been reading this oldish thread. Its very interesting btw, and seems to have much love for the use of cash over cards. The discussions point out that in the event of say, an emp or internet failure (or localised nuclear bomb) that electronic money is useless and cash is king.

But now with covid19 most places have banned using cash or at least would really not like us to. The tap n pay limit was hastily increased by the banks when they realised it was too low for people doing a big shop once a week.

Im wondering how many of us cash fans will go back to it?

Ive got money in my purse that has literally been sat there since march 26th (co-op, bacon, bread, chocolate, uht milk and the last packet of paracetamol, was my last cash shop).

I paid by card for something costing 88pence the other day!

Of all the banking fails we would think of, no one really gave much thought to a disaster involving not being allowed to touch cash!

Except @Spookdaddy that is who back in 2016 said
but in the hypothesised meltdown it would probably be better used as toilet roll. In fact toilet roll would probably be a more effective currency (and I'm not being entirely flippant - ask anyone who has ever run out).

Well played.

Except @Spookdaddy that is who back in 2016 said
but in the hypothesised meltdown it would probably be better used as toilet roll. In fact toilet roll would probably be a more effective currency (and I'm not being entirely flippant - ask anyone who has ever run out).
In that case... I'm rich!

Science fiction or documentary?

Worryingly, I'd say documentary. :(

In regard to the supposed covid risk of paying with cash, I read something recently which summed it up nicely:
  • In a supermarket, customers touch their shopping when they pick up their goods to put them in the trolley.
  • Then touch them again to put them on the conveyor belt.
  • The cashier then touches the items whilst scanning them through.
  • Then finally the customer touches the items again to put them in their shopping bags.
... and they're worrying about handing over some cash? :rolleyes:

Why have people never worried, in the past, about catching flu from handling money? It's suddenly just a problem now, which, if I put on my
conspiracy beret*, seems to me to be an awful lot like a hidden agenda. (Or perhaps not so hidden!)

The problem is, as with so many things nowadays (electric cars, etc) - "cashless society" might well sound good to someone living in a big city, using their smartphone to pay for everything, etc. etc. But in the real world, people live in smaller places. In remote places. There are people who still have coin-operated electric meters in their homes. People who pay their local tradesmen in cash. And no doubt other examples which I can't think of at the moment.

* that's still the raspberry-coloured one.

Slot machines. Giving money to my family (or receiving it). Cheques are used a lot too.
Paying tradesmen.
Giving money to homeless people.

I knew there were more! :)

Funnily enough, I thought about mentioning cheques, then thought they're not cash as such but you're right, still the same non-digital payment concept.

We still use cheques actually.

The cashiers here are wearing gloves now. However while the shopping items will be touched by both cashier and customer, the cash might well be handed over by one customer and then later be handed over to a new customer.

The cashiers here are wearing gloves now. However while the shopping items will be touched by both cashier and customer, the cash might well be handed over by one customer and then later be handed over to a new customer.
But they put the gloves on at the start of the shift and then take them off at the end. This is literally no different, to the customer at least, as them not wearing gloves. And from the staff point of view I bet they take them off just like normal gloves thus handling all the accumulated crud over the day.

Went to our usual shopping centre today and went to take out money from the atm.
In the last couple of days they have taken out all the bank ones and replaced them with those ones where they charge you $2.50 for using them.
Guess I will have to do a cashout in the supermarket although that is limited, or trek to the outside at the other end and go into the bank ones there.

Went to our usual shopping centre today and went to take out money from the atm.
In the last couple of days they have taken out all the bank ones and replaced them with those ones where they charge you $2.50 for using them.
Guess I will have to do a cashout in the supermarket although that is limited, or trek to the outside at the other end and go into the bank ones there.
It's a deliberate and concerted effort to stop us using cash.

Why have people never worried, in the past, about catching flu from handling money? It's suddenly just a problem now, which, if I put on my
conspiracy beret*, seems to me to be an awful lot like a hidden agenda. (Or perhaps not so hidden!)
I don't necessarily see a hidden agenda. In a way, the move to a cashless system is probably inevitable, though I think we're some way off yet.

The anti-cash feeling in the Covid months has probably been as much about reassuring people as it has about actually protecting them. All the points about cashiers handling groceries etc are good ones.

I have to say, based on my own experience, that shops seem a lot happier accepting cash in the last couple of months. I think we've all realised that there are far higher-risk activities than passing a bit of paper or metal from one person to another.

I don't necessarily see a hidden agenda. In a way, the move to a cashless system is probably inevitable, though I think we're some way off yet.

The anti-cash feeling in the Covid months has probably been as much about reassuring people as it has about actually protecting them. All the points about cashiers handling groceries etc are good ones.

I have to say, based on my own experience, that shops seem a lot happier accepting cash in the last couple of months. I think we've all realised that there are far higher-risk activities than passing a bit of paper or metal from one person to another.

The hidden agenda is, in future, they can introduce a small charge every time you use your card. If they can charge for atm withdrawls, I can see things heading this way.

The hidden agenda is, in future, they can introduce a small charge every time you use your card. If they can charge for atm withdrawls, I can see things heading this way.
If they do that then maybe the Government won't have go on a tax spree to cover the 2 Trillion dept because of pandemic ?

If they do that then maybe the Government won't have go on a tax spree to cover the 2 Trillion dept because of pandemic ?
They'll just suck more out of our pockets!

Back