• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The African Rainforest Must Be Doing Well.

A

Anonymous

As long as people believe that there are living dinosaurs in the African rainforest, there must be an enormous amount of acreage still standing. If the rainforest, in Africa anyway, was "in danger of disappearing," then how could there be enough of it left to allow people to believe that there are one or more species of prehistoric reptiles with essentially hundreds of individuals per species lurking in the foliage. I've never heard deforestation of the past or present used as an argument against living dinosaurs. What do you think?

There are surveillance satellites and aircraft that ought to be able to detect large animals in lakes or fairly open country. Has this been tried, anyone know?

80% of the congo hasnt been explored. I dont know how the forest is disapearing if its not been explored. Perhas its different forests that are depleting and not the congo where these living dinosaurs like mbmebe and kasai rex are supposed to live. I know that the forests where the gorilla and chimps live are under threat from locals and westerners but as far as i know the deep congo jungle is untouched.
Rynner, about satalites being used, im not sure of that but there was one guy who flew over the congo in a plane and he saw a large creature swimming in the river and took a photograph of what he saw, the picture isnt ground breaking but it does clearly show a large object in the water. I suppose it could be an elephant but the pilot claims it definately wasnt.
Some times in cases like this the photographs taken dont prove anything. I saw a bald eagle above my house soaring high in the sky about a week ago, i took a picture and i was disapointed to find that it showed up as a small black dot in the picture :( when i was looking at it i could make out its whole shape white head dark body and white tail, it was amazing. I should imagine this could be related to many UFO and cryptid pics taken when the picture shows nothing unusual but when you see it with your eyes you are in no doubt of what you had seen.

I agree Tang.

There is that short length of video, shot from a helicopter over the South Amerikan, rain forest, apparently showing a huge snake snatching a bird out of the air. But when you look at it, it still remains inconclusive.:(

statistics are a wonderful thing

Consider... you have 100 square metres of forest which nobody has ever seen before - 100% unexplored right? Now, 10% of this forest is explored and in the process the trees are removed... so how much unexplored forest remains?

I'll leave you to ponder.

Jane.

Re: statistics are a wonderful thing

mejane said:
Consider... you have 100 square metres of forest which nobody has ever seen before - 100% unexplored right? Now, 10% of this forest is explored and in the process the trees are removed... so how much unexplored forest remains?

I'll leave you to ponder.

Jane.

True jane but i dont think that this is the case with the Congo, perhaps the amazon where logging is common but the congo has (to my knowledge) very few loggers. I think its too dangerous as you have wild animals and angry natives with poisonous darts to contend with

David said:
I agree Tang.

There is that short length of video, shot from a helicopter over the South Amerikan, rain forest, apparently showing a huge snake snatching a bird out of the air. But when you look at it, it still remains inconclusive.:(

You wouldn't happen to know where I could download this video would you?

Lupus Yonderboy said:

Regret no!!!!:(

Just had a section of it taken off of a TV program & some stills of the same in a book on unknown creatures.

Lupus Yonderboy said:

Yes..I'd like to have a look at this video/photo myself.

Ivan Sanderson often said that some parts of the world are actually less well known than they were 100 years ago, because people fly over wilderness areas that used to have to be crossed on foot.

Ah yes, I've seen that pic before. Actually have it on my hard drive. Was really hoping it would be a different snake, although one must wonder just how many 40-50 foot long snakes one really needs to have running around. :eek:

I remember (or think I remember) seeing as a child a photo of a giant snake that has stuck with me ever since (the memory not the snake). It was a carcass with several pygmies (I think) standing across the top of it with spears, which must of given the animal the girth of a couple of feet at least. I have a feeling it was included in David Attenborough's excellent children's series "Fabulous Animals". Anyone else remember this, or able to point out to me that I have hopelessly confused something else with this?

The thought had crossed my mind. Funnily enough, I thought the helicopter photo was something I'd surely imagined seeing as a child, a la thunderbird photo, until I saw it for myself again yesterday, courtesy of this message board.

Back