• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Alien Movies

A

Anonymous

Has anyone seen Alien-Directors Cut.
Seen the DvD excerpt clips, and the new ad....
Seems to only show the Dallas cocoon scene.
Personally looking forward to the Alien 3-kind of directors cut, that is coming out at Xmas-apperantly....it has the King face hugger and some more....

Anyone go to Alien Expierience at the Glasgow/London centres?

Alien Director's Cut

Great treat to see it on the big screen, with a greatly cleaned print; you could see the Nostromo and everything!
As for the 'additional' scenes, most of them are just a second or two long, and for the most part, add to the suspense, as with a shot of the Alien lurking in the shadow above Brett, or build character, like Lambert slapping Ripley.
The biggest new scene, that of Ripley finding a cocooned Dallas, while being interesting, adds nothing to the movie, and, really, you can see why Scott left it out.
Worth going to see though, if only for the vastly improved sound.

Alien Vs Predator

Anyone else see it? Was thier a trailer for Alien Vs Predator? I now there is in the states? God knows what they will do with that franchise orgy. I've read a review of the script and although predictable it looks like it could be OK. The casting of Lance Henrickson (Bishop in 2 and 3)as the original founder of Weyland Yutani (The Company) is either inspired or just a ploy to keep the fanboys happy or both. Anyways the image of 3 teenage Predators battling 1000's of Aliens has already got this fanboy excited!!

Aliens vs Predator

I don't have high hopes for this one since it is being directed by Paul Anderson. Let's hope I'm proven wrong.

:smokin:

I don't have high hopes for this one since it is being directed by Paul Anderson.
Yeah, but he did direct Soldier, which was a pretty good movie.
In answer to Redneck, yeah the trailer was on with the movie, but it was just a teaser, with no indication of what the movie was about.
If they would only adapt the original AvP comic mini-series, by Dark Horse, then they would be on to a winner.

AVP/SOLDIER

Regarding AVP the movie, it does have a wink to the Darkhorse series with a character called Veridihan after the comics author Mark Veridihan. You know it was only recently that the script got changed. It was based on the original AVP series ( the first one with the spacecowboy ranchers on a desert planet, Ruishi)it was in Development hell for years. I don't mind the new script.
It started filming in Prague 2 weeks ago and it due for release in a mere 8/9 months which is quite short considering Paul Anderson isn't relying on CGI(!!). It will be interesting to see how he does 1000's of aliens(!!!!).
By the way I read somewhere that Paul Anderson said Soldier was set in the Bladerunner universe-anyone else heard that, it didn't spring to mind when I saw it I have to say.
Liked Event Horizion quite a lot, and didn't think Resident Evil was bad at all, so Anderson may pull it off in a predictible way I imagine.
I guess how AVP does at the box office has all sorts of implications for both franchises. Some are even calling it a prequel to Alien.......

By the way I read somewhere that Paul Anderson said Soldier was set in the Bladerunner universe-anyone else heard that, it didn't spring to mind when I saw it I have to say.
I haven't seen it in a while, so I'm working from memory here, but the one refrence I can remember is: one of the battle scenes at the start is caption Tanhauser Gate, which is mentioned by Roy at the end of Bladerunner.

I had forgot about Event Horizon. Yeah, I liked that too.
And I like the sound of AvP being based on the comic.
The movie could be great. No, we certainly do not need it, but if he pulls it off, it should be brilliant fun! I like the sound of the thousands of Aliens.

One fanboy qubbile. It couldn't really be a prequel to Alien, as that was the first encounter with one of those creatures by a human, wasn't it?

And what do you think about the news that Scott and Weaver want to do another Alien movie together, with the intention of killing off Ripley properly?

rac said:
One fanboy qubbile. It couldn't really be a prequel to Alien, as that was the first encounter with one of those creatures by a human, wasn't it?

Perhaps not, as the Company sent the Nostromo to the planet, remember? They were woken by the computer to answer the "beacon" which was actually a warning, and the computer had plotted their course to go to/past that planet.

AVP/Soldier

Rac, thanks for the Soldier info, so it looks like Anderson did set it in the Bladerunner universe even if it was only in referance/passing. Can't really remember much from this movie except big junkyard planets, huge space frieghters and genetic enchanced soldiers.....are replicants mentioned?
It would be great for Ridley Scott to do another Alien movie with Weaver. James Cameron has also mentioned an interest to do one with Scott(!!).
There are scripts around for Alien 5/6 and they look insane i.e The space jockey race flying around Earths stratosphere bombing earth with the alien menance!! Jez, thats an image I'd like to see on the silver screen. Also quite reminiscant of the Alien 1st 3 comic series (in particular Earth War).
It does in theory make sense that AVP could be a kinda of prequel, Weyland founded the company who as a result of the discovery of the Alien species now hunt them all over the universe, maybe AVP is the company's first taste of the apple, I mean Alien is set quite far in the future, AVP is set in 2010 or something, so maybe they grasped the apple tasted it and then for whatever reason lost until they discovered lv426 and it's warning beacon, then sent the Nostromo on it elusive mission.

Bladerunner/Soldier

They are set in the same universe because the same guy wrote both movies. David Webb Peoples helped write Bladerunner and wrote the script for Soldier. He also wrote 2 of my other faves, 12 Monkeys and Unforgiven. He also wrote another futuristic movie called The Blood of Heroes also starring Rutger Hauer. Not a bad resume.

:cool:

Oh, I like that idea, about the Company sending the ship into harms way on purpose. Which would also, I think, explain why Ash was placed with the crew..?
He also wrote 2 of my other faves, 12 Monkeys and Unforgiven.
Love unforgiven, but I never warmed to 12 Monkeys.

Here is what IMDB has to say on the matter:

Among the garbage on the planet is the USS Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the F-117X Remora from Executive Decision (1996), a spinner from Blade Runner (1982), and a piece of the Lewis & Clark from Event Horizon (1997).

Todd's service record, displayed on a computer screen, includes the following:

The battles of Tannhauser Gate and Shoulder of Orion (references toBlade Runner (1982))

Receipt of the "Plissken Medal" (reference to Escape from New York (1981) and its sequel Escape from L.A.)

Citations for the Nibian Moons Campaign, the Antares Maelstrom War and the War Of Perdition's Flames, locations referred to in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982).

Todd's weapons training record lists the "USMC Smartgun" and "M41A pulse rifle" (references to Aliens (1986)) and the "DOOM MKIV BFG," a reference to the computer game "Doom."

Writer David Peoples has said that Soldier is a "side-quel" to Blade Runner (which he also wrote) because it takes place in the same universe and in fact the vehicles used by the Blade Runners, spinners, are also used in Solider.

Wow. That seems to be rather thourough.

Also, according to the commentary on Dog Soldiers, the bodies hanging in the cellar are the same props used in Event Horizon.

Woah.....

Dudes, this thread gets better and better.....
Any pictures or sites with this sorta stuff.:blah:

Two words that just about manage to save Paul Anderson from the noose, Mortal Kombat. Still the best video game to movie conversion and some truly cool martial arts sequences. Admittedly a shonky story but it remained faithful to the game so you can't really complain about that.
If he can pull off this again then maybe I'll give AvsP a look.

As for Alien I'm waiting for the 9 disc DVD set with the new improved Alien 3 cut although I will be trotting off to the local cineplex if I get the chance.

The weirdest thing about the Alien head boxset is that Amazon recommend as its "perfect partner" buying the complete "Thin Blue Line" which, bizarrely, is a sit-com starring Rowan Atkinson. I'll give a gift-box full of kudos to anyone who can find a connection between these two. Frankly, I'm baffled!

The weirdest thing about the Alien head boxset is that Amazon recommend as its "perfect partner" buying the complete "Thin Blue Line" which, bizarrely, is a sit-com starring Rowan Atkinson. I'll give a gift-box full of kudos to anyone who can find a connection between these two. Frankly, I'm baffled!

Well, obviously the answer is the late great Brian Glover, who appears in Alien 3 and was probably in something with Rowan Atkinson in the past.

Or something...

fquake said:
Well, obviously the answer is the late great Brian Glover, who appears in Alien 3
Was that the one that Ben Elton wrote the script for?

Peripart said:
fquake said:
Well, obviously the answer is the late great Brian Glover, who appears in Alien 3
Was that the one that Ben Elton wrote the script for?

Hell everyone wrote a script for Alien 3, they cobbled them together and made a mix of all of them.

Who has seen the 'special edition' of Alien 3 ? I have and the new cut is a great improvement on the hacked to pieces theatrical release. It substantially improves the film and puts it on a par with Aliens in terms of watchability (but still not as good as the original Alien - I mean, which one is?).

The 2 disc set also includes loads of info on the making of Alien 3 along with many of the production problems and studio interference. There' a good commentary track too, but if possible get the Region 1 set as the same commentary track is present on both the re-cut AND theatrical versions (on the Region 2 release said track is only on the theatrical release).

The re-cut Alien 3 is a very worthwhile buy - highly recommended.

The Alien Saga

Sun 30th Jul - 11:00PM

The Biography Channel

A compelling, behind-the-scenes look at the big screen's most terrifying monster, this two-hour documentary will examine all four Alien films: Alien (1979), Aliens (1986), Alien3 (1992), and Alien: Resurrection (1997).

After the enormous success of Star Wars in 1977, audiences were unprepared for Ridley Scott's darker and more nightmarish vision. Combining the best elements of classic sci-fi thrillers (The Thing) with the special effects wizardry of films like 2001: A Space Odyssey and, of course, Star Wars, Alien succeeded in reinventing the horror/sci-fi genres by presenting a biomechanical world unlike anything seen before. Utilizing the macabre and erotically compelling visual designs of H.R. Giger, Ridley Scott, and the talented ensemble cast of actors, forced audiences into a terrifying new environment, introducing them to one of the deadliest and most viscerally frightening creatures ever put on film.

http://www.thebiographychannel.co.uk/biography_story/1748:2161/1/The_Alien_Saga.htm

Yes the convoluted production history is interesting (its covered in more concise form in David McIntee's Beautiful Monsters) and I think that, truly mad version with the wooden moon would have been my pick.

It also underlines the fact they were pretty much making it up as they went along - the comic book sequels to the first two films, by Mark Verheiden, strike me as a better way to go.

Just a quick heads-up to say that Amazon UK are currently selling the 9-disc DVD set for £24.99, which is an utter bargain. As it happens, I bought mine last year when the price dipped to the frankly ludicrous £18.99, but since then, it's been hovering around the £35-£40 mark.

Sadly, you don't get the magnificent alien head for that price, but you can't have everything.

The original Alien film was on the other night and as I hadn't seen it for 10 years or so I decided to watch it again.
It had lost none of its horror in the years since it was released and I actually think it's a better film than its sequel, Aliens, which time and again recieves the plaudit of being one of the few sequels which is better than its predecessor.
Don't get me wrong, I think Aliens is very good, but personally I think there's too much "crash bang wallop" and not enough eerie "it's behind you" atmosphere.
Anyone agree/disagree (apologies if there's already a thread on this).

I watched it too. I must agree it's still an excellent film after all these years and the best of the whole series.

Intrigued by the up-coming Alien prequel though.

I think both alien and aliens are over rated,the aliens are superb but everything else is a bit poo,the aliens have never had the movie they deserve.

Over the last few months there have been a spate of Alien films on UK tv. I watched Alien3 a few nights ago.

Oddly, most of my friends rate the first film higher than the second. But personally I prefer the second. I totally appreciate the "crash bang wallop" element; Alien is much more spookier than it's sequel. But Aliens is just relentless as a "chase" movie and leaves you feeling completely drained by the end of it's 2 hours plus running time. Besides Aliens has one of the best film scripts ever (imho!).

Alien3 leaves me feeling divided about how successful it is. The overly obvious paralells from Fincher (just check out the crucifix littered landscape) fall some way short of intelligent cinema. But again the script is good and some of the Brit actors really save the film with blinding performances. It really does feel like it was a difficult film to make, even as you watch it!

I've seen the others as well and they are pap. Sadly.

Back