• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Almasty Thread

He sadly died recently.
Oh what a shame ! So sorry to hear that.

I loved the fact that he was interested in finding out exactly what these creatures around the world are. Unlike other mainstream scientists who stay clear from Cryptid research.

In the prog other night he tested DNA from Yeti hair. One sample turned out to be Polar Bear hair. As there are no Polar bears in the Himayalayas , he hypothesised that the "yeti" is a relic bear population that's a hybrid of brown/polar bear. With the bear being a type from 10, 000+ years ago , it looks different to a modern bear, hence the Yeti legend was born.

They also had a taxidermied specimen of a "Yeti" that had been locked away for 80 years, it came back from a nazi expedition , when they thought the aryans originated in Nepal. It looked a funny kind of bear , and completely fits the Neanderthal era bear theory of Dr Brian's.

RIP Dr Brian Sykes.

( I can't find a pic online of the nazi stuffed yeti/bear)

Edit - found one. Going to start new thread.

Oh what a shame ! So sorry to hear that.

I loved the fact that he was interested in finding out exactly what these creatures around the world are. Unlike other mainstream scientists who stay clear from Cryptid research.

In the prog other night he tested DNA from Yeti hair. One sample turned out to be Polar Bear hair. As there are no Polar bears in the Himayalayas , he hypothesised that the "yeti" is a relic bear population that's a hybrid of brown/polar bear. With the bear being a type from 10, 000+ years ago , it looks different to a modern bear, hence the Yeti legend was born.

They also had a taxidermied specimen of a "Yeti" that had been locked away for 80 years, it came back from a nazi expedition , when they thought the aryans originated in Nepal. It looked a funny kind of bear , and completely fits the Neanderthal era bear theory of Dr Brian's.

RIP Dr Brian Sykes.

( I can't find a pic online of the nazi stuffed yeti/bear)

Edit - found one. Going to start new thread.
That research turned out to be flawed, possibly contaminated. The specimens he examined in that film were all bears but not polar bears. The yeti is not a bear. Being a biped the yeti has outwards facing shoulder bones that give it wide shoulders, unlike bears. They also have an opposable grip and can hurl rocks and swing clubs. The yeti has a flat, gorilla-like face, unlike the protruding snout of a bear. The ears are at the side of the head not on top like a bear. Some DNA found recently in Bhutan was found to be from a primate that shared 98% of it's genetic make up with man, meaning it was as closley related to humans as a gorilla is.

Some DNA found recently in Bhutan was found to be from a primate that shared 98% of it's genetic make up with man, meaning it was as closley related to humans as a gorilla is.
Was that DNA found to be markedly different from any known primate species?

Where has the Bhutan data been published?
Not to my knowledge. She couldn't afford to do further work on it. Spygen wouldn't let the CFZ have the sample to run further tests and it ended up getting destroyed.

So they had some possibly revolutionary samples, nothing was published, no further work was done and the evidence doesn't exists anymore? That seems an odd sequence of events.

Yes, it was closer to man than anything that should have been in the area. There are no known apes in Bhutan only monkeys who are geneticaly further removed than.
OK, that does sound significant.
As Xanatic says, once again, exciting evidence has been destroyed.

Back