• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The American Right & the Occult

Kingsize Wombat

Justified & Ancient
I am not sure if this deserves a new thread, but I couldn't find one that combined the USAmerican right and its ties to the Occult.

It's not something that I had thought to put together until I came across this article the other day:

Steve Bannon and the occult: The right wing’s long, strange love affair with New Age mysticism
When my book “Occult America,” a history of supernatural religions in the U.S., appeared in 2009, I was surprised to receive an admiring phone call from a conservative documentarian and financier. He professed deep interest in the book’s themes, and encouraged me in my next work, “One Simple Idea,” an exploration of positive-mind metaphysics in American life. His name was Stephen K. Bannon.

Ronald Reagan, a hero of his, was not dissimilar. As I’ve written in the Washington Post and elsewhere, Reagan, from the start of his political career in the 1950s up through the first term of his presidency, adopted phrasing and ideas from the writings of a Los Angeles-based occult scholar named Manly P. Hall (1901-1990), whose 1928 encyclopedia arcana “The Secret Teachings of All Ages” is among the most influential underground books in American culture.

You can find the full article here:
http://www.salon.com/2017/04/23/ste...g-strange-love-affair-with-new-age-mysticism/

Back