• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Atlantis Thread

Timble2 said:
When asked Tolkien once said that the events of LOTR were about 10,000 years ago, I don't think looking for the ruins of Mordor would be very useful...
I don't know - I drove through Moseley the other day...

On a slight side note,tolkiens tale of numenor was inspired by atlantis and by a dream of a huge wave engulfing him which ceased when he finished the story.

Last time I went to Santorini the diggings at Akrotiri were closed for safety reasons, which was a bit disappointing- but they have a nice museum in Fira with full-size reproductions. The fresco wiith the fleet of ships is fascinating - a cartoon strip showing Bronze Age sea-going technology in some detail.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... agment.gif

This was a major civilisation on Thera, not just an obscure Minoan colony.

Lost city of Atlantis, swamped by tsunami, may be found

By Zach Howard Zach Howard – Sat Mar 12, 11:36 am ET

NORTHAMPTON, Mass (Reuters) – A U.S.-led research team may have finally located the lost city of Atlantis, the legendary metropolis believed swamped by a tsunami thousands of years ago in mud flats in southern Spain.

"This is the power of tsunamis," head researcher Richard Freund told Reuters.

"It is just so hard to understand that it can wipe out 60 miles inland, and that's pretty much what we're talking about," said Freund, a University of Hartford, Connecticut, professor who lead an international team searching for the true site of Atlantis.

To solve the age-old mystery, the team used a satellite photo of a suspected submerged city to find the site just north of Cadiz, Spain. There, buried in the vast marshlands of the Dona Ana Park, they believe that they pinpointed the ancient, multi-ringed dominion known as Atlantis.

The team of archeologists and geologists in 2009 and 2010 used a combination of deep-ground radar, digital mapping, and underwater technology to survey the site.

Freund's discovery in central Spain of a strange series of "memorial cities," built in Atlantis' image by its refugees after the city's likely destruction by a tsunami, gave researchers added proof and confidence, he said.

Atlantis residents who did not perish in the tsunami fled inland and built new cities there, he added.

The team's findings will be unveiled on Sunday in "Finding Atlantis," a new National Geographic Channel special.

While it is hard to know with certainty that the site in Spain in Atlantis, Freund said the "twist" of finding the memorial cities makes him confident Atlantis was buried in the mud flats on Spain's southern coast.

"We found something that no one else has ever seen before, which gives it a layer of credibility, especially for archeology, that makes a lot more sense," Freund said.

Greek philosopher Plato wrote about Atlantis some 2,600 years ago, describing it as "an island situated in front of the straits which are by you called the Pillars of Hercules," as the Straits of Gibraltar were known in antiquity. Using Plato's detailed account of Atlantis as a map, searches have focused on the Mediterranean and Atlantic as the best possible sites for the city.

Tsunamis in the region have been documented for centuries, Freund says. One of the largest was a reported 10-story tidal wave that slammed Lisbon in November, 1755.

Debate about whether Atlantis truly existed has lasted for thousands of years. Plato's "dialogues" from around 360 B.C. are the only known historical sources of information about the iconic city. Plato said the island he called Atlantis "in a single day and night... disappeared into the depths of the sea."

Experts plan further excavations are planned at the site where they believe Atlantis is located and at the mysterious "cities" in central Spain 150 miles away to more closely study geological formations and to date artifacts.

SOURCE: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_tsunami_atlantis

EnolaGaia said:
Lost city of Atlantis, swamped by tsunami, may be found

By Zach Howard Zach Howard – Sat Mar 12, 11:36 am ET

NORTHAMPTON, Mass (Reuters) – A U.S.-led research team may have finally located the lost city of Atlantis, the legendary metropolis believed swamped by a tsunami thousands of years ago in mud flats in southern Spain.

SOURCE: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_tsunami_atlantis
More:

http://first-news.blogspot.com/2011/03/has-university-of-hartford-professor.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycKF-bOGnUA

Lost city of Atlantis 'buried in Spanish wetlands'
The lost city of Atlantis is buried under marshland on the South Atlantic coast of Spain, a new documentary has claimed.
By Edward Owen in Madrid 4:41PM GMT 14 Mar 2011

The film, Finding Atlantis, was screened by the National Geographic Channel in the US on Sunday and fronted by Professor Richard Freund, from Hartford University in Connecticut.

Professor Freund explained how he led a pursuit to find the lost civilisation, believed by many to be an ancient Greek myth, by using deep-ground radar, digital mapping and satellite imagery.

[...]

His film company, Associated Producers of Canada, added: "Besides identifying the location of the city, they discovered a stele that may have stood at the entrance to the ancient civilisation. It records the long lost symbol of Atlantis."

The film's claims however were on Monday dismissed as having no reliable basis in scientific fact and of misinterpreting partial results [from] an investigation by a team of distinguished Spanish scientists. Since 2005 they have been working on the site at a huge national park and bird sanctuary near Cadiz.

Juan Villarías-Robles, an anthropologist with the Spanish government's scientific research body, CSIC, says Professor Freund appeared [to have] sensationalised their work.
Mr Villarías-Robles was part of a team investigating ancient geomorphology and settlements in Donaña, Europe's largest wetlands.
He said satellite photos of Donaña's massive wetlands, west of Gibraltar, seemed to show buried rectangular buildings and concentric circles of a buried city near a beach.

"Richard Freund was a newcomer to our project and appeared to be involved in his own very controversial issue concerning King Solomon's search for ivory and gold in Tartessos, the well documented settlement in the Donaña area established in the first millennium BC.
"He became involved in what we were doing and provided funding for probes through his connections with National Geographic and Associated Producers.
"He left and the film company told us the documentary would be finished in April or May. But we did not hear from him and are very surprised it has appeared so soon and makes such fanciful claims."

Mr Villarías-Robles, who also dismissed claims of the "memorial cities", said his team planned to offer their own conclusions later this year

The theory that Atlantis is buried in the Spanish wetlands is the latest in a long line of suggested locations. In 2004, US ocean researchers said they were convinced they had found evidence of Atlantis off the coast of Cyprus. Others include various Mediterranean islands, Central America and even Antarctica.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... lands.html

ATLANTIS
Today on BBC1 London from 9:00pm to 10:00pm

Based on the latest scientific research, this factually based drama tells the story of the greatest natural disaster to shake the ancient world, the destruction of the island of Thera (modern day Santorini) around 1620 BC. This volcanic eruption and its catastrophic impact on Europe's first great civilisation, the Minoans, is now believed to have inspired the legend of Atlantis. With Stephanie Leonidas, Reece Ritchie, Langley Kirkwood, Isadora Verwey, and Natalie Becker

I thought that was an illustrated history/science lecture.
And it was better than I expected! ;)

rynner2 said:

Yeah, it looked like they had spent some money on it. CGI wasn't too bad.
Acting started out a bit badly, but improved over the length of the program.

Atlantis: The Evidence - A Timewatch Special
Today on BBC2 from 7:00pm to 8:00pm

In this Timewatch special, historian Bettany Hughes unravels one of the most intriguing mysteries of all time. She presents a series of geological, archaeological and historical clues to show that the legend of Atlantis was inspired by a real historical event, the greatest natural disaster of the ancient world

rynner2 said:
I enjoyed the reconstruction based on the evidence part, but the drama part seemed really anachronistic. No nonsense local businessman takes on ruling priest-class. Gods not amused.

I kept expecting the blue police box to turn up.

rynner2 said:
Atlantis: The Evidence - A Timewatch Special
Interesting,but not particularly stunning. But then, I've been familiar with the Thera = Atlantis theory since the 60's (and the idea wasn't even new then, although we have got much more geological and archaeological evidence since).

But it was nice to see Bettany Hughes parading her Earth Mother physique...

(rynner snorts like a Minoan bull... can I mention aurochs? ;) )

It's not often that a candidate Atlantis actually gets removed from consideration.

A Google Earth map that raised rumors of the lost city of Atlantis has gotten a much-needed update, ridding the seafloor of a gridlike pattern that some vigilant users suspected were sunken streets from the mythological underwater city.

In fact, Google Ocean, an extension of map program Google Earth, was merely displaying a data artifact from the sonar method that oceanographers use to map the seafloor. This week, Google updated the application with new seafloor data from the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD), the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and other groups.

"The original version of Google Ocean was a newly developed prototype map that had high resolution but also contained thousands of blunders related to the original archived ship data," David Sandwell, a Scripps geophysicist, said in a statement. "UCSD undergraduate students spent the past three years identifying and correcting the blunders."

The students also incorporated new data into the archive that Google uses to create its map of underwater topography. Researchers create this data by using sonar, or sound waves, that bounce off the seafloor and return information about its shape, not unlike how a bat uses sonar to "see" bugs. When Google uses lots of these surveys together, they sometimes overlap, creating strange gridlike patterns.
That's what happened in 2009, shortly after the launch of the extension. Eagle-eyed Google Ocean explorers spotted a large grid on the seafloor that looked strikingly like the streets of a well-organized small town. Immediately, "Atlantis" rumors started flying.

In fact, the grid was merely caused by overlapping datasets, according to NOAA. Besides that, the grid that looked like a little town actually covered an area of ocean more than 100 miles (161 kilometers) wide — not exactly small-town proportions.

The updated Google Ocean has been scrubbed of this Atlantis artifact. ...

SOURCE: http://news.yahoo.com/google-earth-eras ... 02529.html

Monty Halls and Japan's Lost Atlantis

Episode 3
Today on Channel 5 from 9:00pm to 10:00pm

Documentary series in which explorer and marine biologist Monty Halls investigates the world's greatest underwater mysteries. Monty and his team travel to a remote Japanese island to try to discover whether an underwater structure is the remains of a city lost to the waves or a creation carved by nature itself.

Possibly a repeat?

MH did a documentary on fishing in Cadgwith, and worked closely with one particular fisherman there, whom I've met, so that's one degree of separation between me and MH!

Isn't this site also the subject of one of Graham Hancock's interesting theories? I seem to recall him starting with "there are no straight lines in nature" and jumping pretty quickly to "therefore this is a lost civilisation"...

Atlantis Discovered in "Google Earth."

Recently scientists associated with the Scripps Institute of Oceanography released new overlays for "Google Earth." The "Vertical Gravity Gradient" overlay add new features to the ocean floor.

http://topex.ucsd.edu/grav_outreach/

Using this new overlay I have a site for Atlantis next to the Cape Verde Islands. See these two images, and a YouTube video for the site.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tViSbPZ-0eI

Image Credit; David Sandwell, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego

How about buying a submersible and giving tours of the site? I'll go halfs!

I think theres a thread for this.

Recent evidence of pre-European civilisation in The Azores, along with their volcanic origins, being in the correct location according to Plato's account and the discovery of enigmatic structures such as the underwater pyramid (which would have been above sea level 10,000 years ago), surely make these islands the firm favourites for the location of Atlantis? If the pyramid, currently under investigation, is confirmed to be of artificial origin, that would surely clinch it.

Finally watched the History Channel's 2015 documentary 'Atlantis Found" last night.

The case for Santorini was made very forcefully, particularly in reconstructing its appearance, complete with "ship canal" prior to the volcanic eruption. I was disappointed though that they dismissed the Canary isles in such a perfunctory manner and did not even consider The Azores. Problems persist with the programme's conclusion though; Santorini (aka Thera) is far too small to tally with Plato's account and is certainly the wrong side of the "Pillers of Hercules" (straits of Gibraltar).

Delighted to see the Kirchner map featured though https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantis which would depict Atlantis as extending roughly from the Canaries to the Azores. Given the dramatic rise in sea level over the last 10,000 years, I remain convinced that the volcanic Canaries and Azores may well be the mountain tops of old Atlantis.

Last edited:
Delighted to see the Kirchner map featured though https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantis which would depict Atlantis as extending roughly from the Canaries to the Azores. Given the dramatic rise in sea level over the last 10,000 years, I remain convinced that the volcanic Canaries and Azores may well be the mountain tops of old Atlantis.
It's certainly an interesting idea.
That would make it a huge landmass, but if you look at Google Earth, there doesn't seem to be any hint of such a landmass (even if it had somehow mysteriously sunk).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Azores, Portugal/@33.0664254,-19.1339575,1469520m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0xb467f1e11e43b05:0xe2911b674bce0c1d

Mind you, the Azores does seem to be at a place where tectonic plate fractures occur. Maybe the ground opened up and swallowed it?

I'll have to revisit the Plato account, but didn't he compare Atlantis in size to Asia Minor and describe it not as a contiguous land mass, but a series of roughly circular islands?

Last edited:
I'll have to revisit the Plato account, but didn't he compare Atlantis in size to India and describe ut not as a contiguous land mass, but a series of roughly circular islands?
That would be more realistic than it being a single huge island as depicted in the map, I think.

I'll have to revisit the Plato account, but didn't he compare Atlantis in size to Asia and describe it not as a contiguous land mass, but a series of roughly circular islands?
I believe it was described as an island greater in size than northern Africa (Libya) and Asia Minor together, with various islands under its domain that were used as stepping stones in the attempted invasion of Europe. However, I didn't pay much attention to the details as, by the time I read Plato, I'd long since arrived at the conclusion there was never any such place.

National Geographic Teams with Simcha Jacobovici to Find Atlantis in Sardinia
9/17/2016

When Rupert Murdoch bought National Geographic, there was deep concern among lovers of science that the Fox News magnate would send the magazine and its affiliated cable channel into the gutter. Murdoch’s son James, who now National Geographic and its TV channel through his management of 21st Century Fox, had his flunkies go on a media blitz promising that under his leadership, NatGeo properties would emphasize high-quality science with the production values of HBO. James Murdoch claimed that the new National Geographic Channel would be a high-end destination for wealthy viewers looking for real science. “It’s better shows, it’s bigger talent,” National Geographic Channel CEO Courteney Monroe told Business Insider.

So naturally the new and improved NatGeo hired Holy Bloodline conspiracy theorist Simcha Jacobovici for a splashy new documentary about finding the “real” Atlantis. In Sardinia.

According to The Star, the documentary is a sequel to the terrible 2011 Finding Atlantisdocumentary that aired on NatGeo. That film, which I reviewed at the time, claimed that Atlantis was located in Spain, earning the ire of Spanish archaeologists, who felt that their legitimate work on Bronze Age Spain had been hijacked by a religious crank who dropped in, spouted nonsense about Atlantis being the source of King Solomon’s wealth, and claimed credit for their work. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/n...imcha-jacobovici-to-find-atlantis-in-sardinia

Back