• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Attention Of Ghosts

A hot flush could be due to someone pissing on your grave.

We also use the phrase 'someone walking over my grave' very regularly.

I think it's a physiological thing, a sudden chill, the opposite of a 'hot flush' (which, disappointingly, nobody has ever had any kind of supernatural theory about_.
You ought to start one - every time you get a hot flush say something with a little foreboding like "oh, the Devil's stoking the coals", then see if it catches on.

You ought to start one - every time you get a hot flush say something with a little foreboding like "oh, the Devil's stoking the coals", then see if it catches on.
Well I would but - to my annoyance - I've never had a hot flush. I wish I did, I'd save a fortune on heating bills.

But there should be an equivalent saying. 'Someone's turned on my gas fire' would be a workable alternative.

Great thread.

I do not know exactly what ghosts are, though suspect they fall into different phenomena lumped into one:

Some being "stone tape" replays of events.

Others are confused "lost souls".

Some being temporary visits back to earth from the afterlife.

Yet others being malevolent demons of non-human origin.

Maybe being a ghost is a little like being stuck in dementia. Where you believe that you are a child, or living in your childhood home, or undertaking actions without really comprehending what you are doing, simply because they are actions you have undertaken regularly throughout your life?
So, sort of going through the motions without really knowing why?
I came across this just now, while reading Haunted Bedford by William H. King, p. 19., which I find both sad and vaguely horrific:

Bedford School
Between 1903 and 1909, the headmaster of Bedford School was Samuel Whitbread. Now, it is said, that at night his ghost haunts the corridors of the upper floor in the main building that he commissioned. People have reported that he has asked them for directions to get out of the building. Like a lot of ghosts, his appearance is indistinguishable from a living person (ghosts aren't usually tenuous, misty things), so much so that one boy actually led him to the exit only to discover that he had disappeared.

The thought of being stuck in his workplace down all the years, trying to get out and never making it... it kind of reinforces an idea that I have that being a ghost might be a bit like being stuck in a nightmare from which you are unable to awaken.

That also might demonstrate less a ghost and more a time-slip.
He might be seeing them as real people, asking them the way out.
Possibly, but I have huge doubts over time slips, which seem to be a recent anglophone fad. Also - it was his school, surely he would know the way out, indicating an alternate state of consciousness... let alone repeatedly asking the way out.

Last edited:
Those quite commonly-reported ghosts who apparently stand near or even sit upon a living person's bed, seemingly staring at the witness...what is going on in these incidents? Are the ghosts really aware of them? Do the ghosts truly see, and interact? I know little of science, but I doubt that ghosts actually see as we do, if at all (AFAIR this should be impossible, according to scientists - something to do with the eyes' facility for light). And that's before we consider whether ghosts are stuck in a particular timeline; perhaps their own, if any.

My wife is the ghost expert in our family, and she says that you can get the attention of a ghost by addressing it formally, thus:
"In the name of God, why troublest thou me?"

Mayhap it would work. You are welcome to try it, next time you see one.

My wife is the ghost expert in our family, and she says that you can get the attention of a ghost by addressing it formally, thus:
"In the name of God, why troublest thou me?"

Mayhap it would work. You are welcome to try it, next time you see one.
Similar approach to my mother when dismissing the apparent ghost of the little girl in the neighbour's house with "we don't want you here". Worked.

Similar approach to my mother when dismissing the apparent ghost of the little girl in the neighbour's house with "we don't want you here".
That seems a shame. However, in this, would I be wasting my sympathy on a ghost? I'm unthinkingly assuming that the ghost would feel upset and lonely after being told that it's 'not wanted here'; but would or could it actually feel anything at all? Would it even be aware of all this?

I should think that most are not anxious to contact us at all, just wandering around in a confused state.
A bit like me on a Friday and Saturday night Simon :).

Yesterday afternoon I was asked by my neighbour to look after her dog for a couple of hours. I’ve looked after the dog countless times with no issues, but yesterday afternoon the dog sat at the bottom of the stairs and growled at the top of the stairs for at least an hour before settling down. No one was up there - Mrs DT at work and kids at school / Uni etc.

She’s never done that before. I found it a little unsettling to be honest.

A bit like me on a Friday and Saturday night Simon :).

Yesterday afternoon I was asked by my neighbour to look after her dog for a couple of hours. I’ve looked after the dog countless times with no issues, but yesterday afternoon the dog sat at the bottom of the stairs and growled at the top of the stairs for at least an hour before settling down. No one was up there - Mrs DT at work and kids at school / Uni etc.

She’s never done that before. I found it a little unsettling to be honest.
1696079461029.png

Back