• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Audio Illusions Thread

I'm not getting it. What is 'freaky' & 'mind blowing' about it? I'm clearly not up with this malarkey and am missing out somewhere along the line.
You can play the same clip and hear either 'green needle' or 'brainstorm' according to which word you're looking at; I found just thinking about which one I wanted to hear worked as well.

It doesn't work for me. It correctly responded "X" when I was looking at X the very first time. However, it didn't ever respond "Y" when I focused on Y visually, focused on Y mentally, repeated "Y" out loud, and even covered up the X option so I couldn't see it.

:dunno:

It doesn't work for me. It correctly responded "X" when I was looking at X the very first time. However, it didn't ever respond "Y" when I focused on Y visually, focused on Y mentally, repeated "Y" out loud, and even covered up the X option so I couldn't see it.

:dunno:
Which one could you hear, if you don't mind me asking?

I looked at, and heard, "green needle" on the first pass. I switched to focusing on "brainstorm", but still heard "green needle" every time. That's when I started combining all the tactics I listed above. I never heard "brainstorm."

I found it striking and creepy. The two words are so different, but I heard them so clearly.

Yes works really well for me. One of the more impressive versions of this type of illusion.

With eyes closed I hear Green Needle every time - as soon as I see and choose a word then the illusion works.

It works for me. Weird.

With eyes closed I hear Green Needle every time - as soon as I see and choose a word then the illusion works.
Incredible - As Fluttermoth points out, with eyes closed I can now hear either word just by thinking about it

Without looking - Green Needle
Whilst looking at Brainstorm - Brainstorm.
Whilst looking at Brainstorm but determined to hear Green Needle - Green Needle.

I think it works because most people hear a word in their head as they read it.
So the word that is actually said in the video is sonically overwritten by the mind's voice.

Works for me and my son.

Interestingly, if we don't look at the word and try to clear our minds we sometimes ended up with a mash of both words. - greenstorm or brainneedle

Close eyes, think 'brainstorm' - do you not hear brainstorm ?
This needs explaining.
No. Just tried it 5 times. I saw this once where the guy read a sentence and depending on what subtitles you read, you heard him say that, but with this, only 'green needle'.

Works for me and my son.

Interestingly, if we don't look at the word and try to clear our minds we sometimes ended up with a mash of both words. - greenstorm or brainneedle
Oh, I'm so glad it's not just my family!

I tried it on my son yesterday, and he could only hear 'green needle' to begin with, then got stuck on 'brain needle', he couldn't get the 'storm' at all.

Looking at this again and wodering whether it has anything to do with the noise heard before the words? I thought it may be a mash of green, storm and needle designed to confuse the ear for a few seonds. However I tried muting that and it still seemed to work.

Anyone else tried this?

Back