• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The avengers assemble

titch

Justified & Ancient
Watched it last night, and as somebody who normally thinks this kind of thing is for kiddies reading comics, i loved it. Funny in places, and the fight at the end is wonderful.

And having always dismissed as silly kiddies nonsense (without watching them ofc) iron man i have to say in this he is excellent, loved him giving the hulk a poke. :D

The final cherry on the cake was when the women i was with (not the most delicate of ladies) said she wanted to jump on the screen and "dry hump Thor" No idea what exactly that entails, but i would like to see it.

The recent crop of Marvel movies have been uniformly good and this one was probably my favourite.

Nice to see comic book adaptions that are allowed to remain mostly within the source material and yet still entertain a lay audience.

I enjoyed it and took our three mid-teens, too. They all thought it was great. :)

Just got back from seeing this and totally loved it... wasn;t too sure about it, didn;t see the Capt America movie or Thor, looked like maybe a bit of a laddish line up... was pleasantly surprised, is just pure escapist hokum and amazingly good fun.

Not really spoilers, but two things worth of mentioning:

1) There are two utterly bloody hilarious moments, one that had most of the cinema pissing themselves laughing for at least the next minute... both involving something green. :lol:

2) Am quite sure there's a Wilhelm scream in there, where Capt America throws a random bad guy.

In my opinion, it's been the only time the Hulk or even Banner has actually worked on screen.

I thought it was well-balanced for an ensemble piece. As with comics, it's hard to give loads of characters enough 'panel time'. I'm genuinely surprised at how well Black Widow has worked too as I doubt she's on anyone's first tier Avengers grouping.

I like the 'ultimisation' of the screen version of the Avengers. When the Ultimate line of comics came out (The Avengers were 're-imagined' as the Ultimates) a lot of comic book fans hated it and the 'cinematic' feel of the comic and yet it's all those things that make the film work so well.

I really liked the film and the banter between the characters. I always remember the Avengers comics oddly, not for the battles they fought but for the endless inner seethings and petty grievances. (like Hawkeye always muttering 'Why is he (CA) always in charge?)

It hit the right notes with the all the characters and made a good job of alloting a fair amount of screen time to all of them. Banner was good and it's the first time his character has been greenly fleshed out beyond one dimension although I thought Thor was a bit of a righteous bore. I like the way they've developed Captain America as USA's prime marketing tool and the trading cards are a neat touch. Robert Downey Jr has more fun with this script than anything he does as Sherlock. You simply shouldn't try to mischeviously wind up Banner just to see what happens.

And the effects are good too. All in all, it's a neat, well-made film that pushes all the action buttons a comics fan could want.

I watched this last night.

I've had a 3D tellybox for a while now but never felt the need to watch 3D in the house. The only film that I really enjoyed in 3D was "A Christmas Carol" (Tron didn't convince me, Episode 1 isn't "real 3D"...up until this summer I wasn't convinced...Spidey and Ridley convinced me otherwise) but I wasn't going to by the 3D DVD player just for "A Christmas Carol" but when I heard Avengers was a 3D release and having not seen it the cinema I indulged.

I'm in...3D in your living room...tee hee hee...what fun....I'm off to order "A Journey Through The Galaxy" in 3D, "A Christmas Carol" arrives today (looking forward to 3D Victorian London) and I might even buy "Prometheus" as the 3D in that was quite cool...even if the movie was a bit of a mess.

"Avengers Assemble" mean time...what a hoot, snappy dialogue, good action and everyone has something to do or say. I too laughed loud and long at both the Hulk moments.

Anyone want to see it in 3D and you're in London....call me !?!?

I found it a bit over elaborate. I was a bit disappointed, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

Back