• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I’ve been catching up on the pod casts. I’m nearly there. What on earth is with the ‘drinking the cool aid (koolaid?)? I’ve never heard of this, don’t tell me it’s an American thing. Not very helpful for a confused British audience. He already told us grannies weight in lbs which meant nothing to me.
Kool-Aid is an American drink. It's a powder added to water. Drinking the Kool-Aid refers to the Jonestown mass suicide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

"Drinking the Kool Aid" is a reference to the massacre in Guyana of the Jim Jones cult in the 1970s, where his followers were given poisoned soft drink to kill them in what was reported as a mass suicide, but was actually a mass murder. It's now become shorthand for swallowing any old rubbish because you are brainwashed. It's a complete misnomer of a phrase, and not just because the dead didn't drink Kool Aid, they drank Flavor-Aid.
Thank you.

I’ve been catching up on the pod casts. I’m nearly there. What on earth is with the ‘drinking the cool aid (koolaid?)? I’ve never heard of this, don’t tell me it’s an American thing. Not very helpful for a confused British audience. He already told us grannies weight in lbs which meant nothing to me.
(The term was also used in a less nefarious way in 1968 by Tom Wolfe in his book about Ken Kesey et al
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Electric_Kool-Aid_Acid_Test)

I’m halfway though the bonus episode. Why have the got two skeptics? That’s not very balanced. So apparently seizures make you levitate. The other Selfridges employee was interesting.

They mention a 1920s poltergeist down the road but Shirley would be too young to know about that.

I don’t know what to make of it all. One minute your doubting it and they another there something too odd to explain away.

It’s nice to hear Burn Gorman it did used to like Torchwood.

I’m halfway though the bonus episode. Why have the got two skeptics? That’s not very balanced. So apparently seizures make you levitate. The other Selfridges employee was interesting.

They mention a 1920s poltergeist down the road but Shirley would be too young to know about that.

I don’t know what to make of it all. One minute your doubting it and they another there something too odd to explain away.

It’s nice to hear Burn Gorman it did used to like Torchwood.
Yes, its powerful testimony from the primary and other witnesses, but then it descends into that dubious story about the French Prince and a frankly unbelievable amount of supposed activity and evidence...

It sometimes feels to me as if the 'entity' realised it had shown too much of itself and so began to obfuscate the goings on so as to make them, well, unbelievable. Then another way of looking at it is that poltergeists often seem childish in their actions and this 'child entity' got away with so much mischief and lies that it decided to tell a massive fib.

Or the whole thing was massively exaggerated by the primary witness and a somewhat-biased researcher.

*shrug*

Yes, its powerful testimony from the primary and other witnesses, but then it descends into that dubious story about the French Prince and a frankly unbelievable amount of supposed activity and evidence...

It sometimes feels to me as if the 'entity' realised it had shown too much of itself and so began to obfuscate the goings on so as to make them, well, unbelievable. Then another way of looking at it is that poltergeists often seem childish in their actions and this 'child entity' got away with so much mischief and lies that it decided to tell a massive fib.

Or the whole thing was massively exaggerated by the primary witness and a somewhat-biased researcher.

*shrug*
I did finish it at least. There were some things that indicated it could have been the lost dauphin but then the DNA said no. I suppose it could be someone else escaped the revelation who thought they won’t know any better I’ll say I’m the dauphin. It did sound unbelievable when they came up with that. The two psychics that didn’t know about it were interesting. It’s all very strange and I still don’t know what to make of it.

There was an additional Episode 9 reviewing information that had come to light following the 'concluding' Episode 8. Interesting that a major sewer ran under the building. There was also mention of rat poison during the series but no discussion of any noises made by rats. I once stayed in a caravan that had a ran trying to gain access by chewing its way up from below and it made s hell of a racket. It would also respond to human voices in that it would pause scrabbling and stratching if you shouted at it...! It was eventually despatched to rat heaven with the hand axe (not a pleasant experience).

The whole French prince thing was a bit too much for me, too. I struggle with it and yes, there is the perfume connection to the land the house was built on but that could very well have been known about locally already (my childhood village still had tales from the time of the Black Death being passed down from generation to generation...!).

But there have also been new witnesses to the poltergeist activity come forward and so I find myself back at square one. Personally, I believe there was something paranormal going on but it was probably distorted by human hand/s. The most encouraging fact to come out of it all is that modern technology has not killed the poltergeist: the presenter states he has been contacted by 'many' listeners who had had their own poltergeist experiences. However, he makes the pertinent point that today's media would not be kind to such witnesses and thus they stay quiet

I've just finished listening to this and all through it my gut tells me it was the older brother causing most of the disruption in some way. However, I do then think that the 'fame' and attention went to Shirley's head and she ran with it; Faking the letters etc.

I've just finished listening to this and all through it my gut tells me it was the older brother causing most of the disruption in some way. However, I do then think that the 'fame' and attention went to Shirley's head and she ran with it; Faking the letters etc.
Have to agree, sadly. I have started reading the book 'The Poltergeist Prince' and it says a lot about Danny's skills as a creative writer that he made the case seem as strong as it is. It pains me to say it, but the book comes across as naive and infused with childhood fantasies.

But as ever it is quite possible that there was some genuine poltergeist activity in the house, especially early on.

Back