• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Bible: What Is Its Purpose?

Fair point. I guess really I'm just disappointed with the series, I seem to have forgotten that it's aimed at an audience I'm not really a member of.

I'm feeling the same as you, I probably wasn't the target audience for this program.

It also annoyed me that she seemingly discounted out of hand the fact that El and even Baal can and were used as names for many different gods and even simply as honorifics.

She seemed to suggest that every mention of Baal in the bible was the same god.

Outrage as 'arty' vicar burns 'vile' passages of the Bible
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 12:55 AM on 24th July 2011

The Rev Geraint ap Iorwerth cut up pages from the King James Bible and burnt the ‘negative, nasty bits’. The artwork was then mounted on a 9ft-by-7ft board and displayed in church.

Mr ap Iorwerth, 60, of St Peter ad Vincula Church in Wales, said: ‘I cut out all the nasty bits of that Bible, the language of which is being celebrated this year, because I don’t think you can separate it from the God it is representing.’

The Bishop of Bangor has warned Mr ap Iorwerth, who describes himself as a ‘bolshie b*****’ on his Facebook page, that his actions could cause offence.
The Rt Rev Andrew John said: ‘Destroying parts of the Bible we don’t like is disrespectful and will offend many people.
‘I have therefore written to the Rev Geraint ap Iorwerth and will be investigating the matter.’

Mr Iorwerth defended his actions, however, telling Walesonline: 'The charred remains were a memorial to the millions whose lives have been destroyed as a result of the cruelty of this kind of God and his followers.
'It is incumbent upon me as a church leader to launch a national investigation into the fact that so many Christians continue to support the regime of the cruel and vile God that we read about in the Bible.
'It is a regime that is the antithesis of everything that Jesus, the prince of peace, stood and died for.'

The website reports that the vicar does have his supporters, with one, known only as Clare, describing his project as 'refreshing, emotive, relevant and transcendent'.
She adds: 'I can’t think that I’ve ever written a letter of support but I really do appreciate your perspective.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1T0qAGovT

Back