• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Black Doodler / The Doodler Murders

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I'd never heard of this case before and, as is not uncommon, the number of victims is unclear (between five and fourteen are claimed). It's interesting, of course, to see the narratives of the time in the San Francisco police's response: homosexuals are emotionally unstable and their growing immigration to the city is a problem.

The Untold Story of the Doodler Murders
by Elon Green December 11, 2014

At 1:57 a.m. on January 27, 1974, a corpse was found at the water’s edge on San Francisco’s Ocean Beach. Gerald Earl Cavanaugh, 49, had been stabbed multiple times. His left hand betrayed a defensive wound. His body was, as the coroner’s register put it, “in a supine position” and showed signs of slight rigor mortis. Cavanaugh wore underwear, shoes, socks, pants, a shirt and a jacket. In his pocket was $21.12 and on his wrist a Timex.

As befits a man initially identified as John Doe #7, very little is known about Cavanaugh. He was born in Canada on March 2, 1923, and lived in San Francisco. A photo that ran in the San Francisco Sentinel after his death shows that he was balding. He worked in a mattress factory. He was five-foot-eight and weighed 220 pounds. He was Catholic. “Never married,” wrote the coroner.

Cavanaugh was the first victim in a string of homicides that, to this day, remain unsolved. From January 1974 to September 1975, The Doodler — or, as he was sometimes known, the Black Doodler, on account of his skin color — caught the eye of the Castro’s bar patrons by drawing caricatures and cartoons of them.1 Amused, flattered, perhaps titillated by the attention, man after man would leave the bar with their killer for a more secluded, intimate spot. Once they were alone, the men were stabbed and their bodies left on waterfronts and in parks.

To the extent the case has been written about, the Doodler has been credited with fourteen victims. One encounters this figure in the era’s press accounts and books of recent vintage. But it is far more likely there were, in fact, five or six. (The larger figure may be due to the frequency with which gay men were murdered in those years; it’s possible that several distinct cases were conflated and the Doodler given too much credit.) Five men were contemporaneously identified in the newspapers as Doodler victims, but the count shouldn’t be considered definitive. It’s a fool’s errand to say any single victim is definitely the work of the Doodler, or to rule out the possibility of others. As a veteran detective told me, “Anyone in my position who tells you otherwise, especially when there hasn’t even been an indictment, is either untrustworthy or lying.”

Long Read Continues:
https://www.theawl.com/2014/12/the-untold-story-of-the-doodler-murders/

A (sane) reddit I frequent, called Unresolved Mysteries, has covered a lot about the Doodler; if you do a search, you will see. Supposedly the police were well aware of who this guy was (lots of people saw him) but could not do anything about it given the homophobic nature of the times -- nobody would come forward with the necessary information for fear of being "outed".

Here is a fairly recent update about the Doodler: https://www.reddit.com/r/Unresolved...d_is_reportedly_closing_in_on_the_70s_serial/

As I said, this particular reddit is pretty sane and is well moderated, so it is worth a look.

Surely some of the suspects can be traced to find out if they were somehow taken out of society at the time the murders stopped. I also notice the story includes a case of nominative determinism.

Officer Gay, as the Advocate put it, would “drive slowly through [Golden Gate Park] in a pickup truck and stop near a strolling male. Then he would stretch out…and show a bulging ‘basket’ in his tight Levis.” Once an advance was made, Officer Gay would make an arrest.

Back