• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I read this book last year

There was a suggestion it might be some kind of elemental energy, and not limited to that house. (I gave it to my partner’s mum or I’d look it up).

F16BF14B-9A75-474D-8F7D-EBB14E724F30.jpeg

It’s in my Amazon wish list with about 30 other books I keep meaning to send to the kids at Christmas or birthdays.
Was it any good?

I thought it was, as I’d only ever heard about it before, so this was the first time I’d read anything in-depth and I was interested.
I like to read about supposed hauntings that take place in quite ordinary places and the idea of it possibly being of an elemental nature and not just being in that one place is intriguing. My partner’s mother found it interesting, too.

I thought it was, as I’d only ever heard about it before, so this was the first time I’d read anything in-depth and I was interested.
I like to read about supposed hauntings that take place in quite ordinary places and the idea of it possibly being of an elemental nature and not just being in that one place is intriguing. My partner’s mother found it interesting, too.
I’m pretty sure Colin Wilson included it in his book Poltergeist. I’ll have to drag it out and have a look.

I watched 'When the lights went out' today - I thought it was great. It doesn't get very good reviews on 'rotten tomatoes' for example. But that's probably because it's so quintessentially British. It rolls along at a rather sedate pace and there's not much in the way of ghastly special effects and screaming. But the attention to 1970s detail is amazing. The decor, the crockery, but down to the door handles and the hair bobbles, for god's sake, and many other subtle things. It's proper time travel and whoever did the props did an amazing job. I found the exorcism scene with people exclaiming 'flippin heck' and the general term of abuse being 'bugger off' to be marvellously British. I liked the way it was sort of ambiguous to start with, with the mention that the girl had played tricks before (what with poltergeists generally getting blamed on girls pulling tricks). And that after the exorcism they signified she had grown up, by giving her a grown up hair-do in the salon.

I don't know how closely it matches the real events if at all. But I enjoyed the film. If you're not hoping for some US style paranormal extravaganza you might like it too.

It's recently been added to Prime Video and we watched it tonight.
Well acted, especially young Tasha Connor in the main role, some effective make-you-jump moments and excellent attention to 1970s detail - clothes, cars, décor and product placement.
The Poltergeist activity did seem a bit OTT though. If what was really reported amounted to even a quarter of the incidents in the movie, then it really was a remarkable haunting!

Can anyone recall if the FT has done an article about the Pontefract poltergeist?

Take the Most Haunted episode when they visited the place as you find it. Nothing this dramatic (dramatised?) happened when we were there but make your own minds up ..

I am reading the aforementioned book, it seems OK at the moment, although this one seems to be rumbling on for quite some time, Wilsons account of it was very good

They have mentioned the underground stream, this ties in with one the late great T C Lethbridge's theories, that many paranormal happenings are associated with running water, perhaps it creates some form of energy?

They have mentioned the underground stream, this ties in with one the late great T C Lethbridge's theories, that many paranormal happenings are associated with running water, perhaps it creates some form of energy?
Is that the same with Ley Lines ?

Back