• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Black Museum

A

Anonymous

I knew somebody who used to work for the police (in the UK). They would get all the insider info on the lastest murders and crimes ... the stuff that doesn't make it into the news. Once she mentioned ... the Black Museum ... she was hoping to be allowed to visit it.

Apparently this was the place were the police kept all the grisly memorabilia from all the infamous crimes. Stuff like Sweenie Todd's cutthroat razor (and maybe some of the pies too). That kind of thing and alot .. lot worse. The museum was not open to the public. Can anyone else heard of this, or was I being wound up?

:eek!!!!:

It's quite true. IIRC there were a couple of TV programmes about it some years ago. I think there are books too. I'll have a search when there's nobody looking over my shoulder.

There's a prog on my beloved Discovery Channel sometimes about it. An extremely distinguished but sinister actor describes the less unsalubrious exhibits and there are re-enactments of some of the crimes. If it's on I try to watch it, it's sooo camp, in a chilling way. :)

As I recall, the sign from outside Fred West's house, which he made himself from wrought iron, found its way to the museum, and no doubt certain other of his metalwork projects did too. (He made wheel-shaped frames to tie girls to while he abused them, for example. The bastard.)

I would dearly love to visit this place but there's no chance as El Publico isn't invited. I don't know anyone who has either, so it's back to the Discovey Channel for me. :(

tee hee, the Met make the place sound like a place of serious study not the mobid collection of er, mobid things. Thanks for the link. I wonder if anyone from the public has ever tried to break in?

I recall that a few years back it did open to the public, though only as an exception to the rule.

The collection of death masks taken from the cadavers of hanged criminals is particularly odd.

I used to work for the Metropolitan Police and have been around the Black Museum, although it is now called The Crime Museum.

It is a fascinating but macabre place. Jack The Rippers letters are there. Nielsons cooker and saucepan he cooked his victims in is there and the bath he cut them up in. The Acid Bath from murders of same name and loads of other stuff, like a bank tellers window someone was shot through.

The death masks are very odd but fascinating. There are grueome stories too. Like the one about someone's arm being sent from Germany so his fingerprints could be checked, although I can't remeber if the guy was alive or not at the time.:eek!!!!:

There are lots of crime scene and body photos. Very gruesome but interesting. I feel very priveliged to have been there.

Fascinating. Did you get a sense of incomprehensible evil looking at all that stuff?

Dr Poo said:
Fascinating. Did you get a sense of incomprehensible evil looking at all that stuff?

Well Nielsens cooker certainly freaked me out, especially the saucepan. To think he cooked someone in it!!!!

Defiantley evil, a very evil place altogether.

May be thats why its not open to the public. I gather a lot of detail from these sick crimes is deliberately unreported because it would be too disturbing for the average Joe - or is it thought, ... it might give him ideas ? :eek:

Dr Poo said:
May be thats why its not open to the public. I gather a lot of detail from these sick crimes is deliberately unreported because it would be too disturbing for the average Joe - or is it thought, ... it might give him ideas ? :eek:

That is quite true. Not sure of the reasons, possibly too disturbing for general reading.

Having worked in some very interesting environments I know alot about some crimes that certainly never made it to the press. I certainly know alot more about human nature and stuff I did not want to know. There are alot of very sick individuals out there and I can honestly say working in the environments I have has made me a very cynical person.

Porbably why I love this MB. :D

I have not seen the scotland yard one, but once many years ago I was taken by a policeman friend to see a local stations one.

It was `not` impressive, bits and pieces of evidence, murder and confiscated weapons and the like. I guess he did not show me the more interesting (ie gory) stuff.

Elffriend, it is your bounden duty to explain yourself!

Remember, you are among sick f- erm, friends here.
;)

escargot said:
Elffriend, it is your bounden duty to explain yourself!

Remember, you are among sick f- erm, friends here.
;)

I know but unfortunatley I am bound by both the official secrets act (yes I know it didn't stop Nick Pope) AND could be done for libel as some of the really nasty stuff is from cases where the person has been found not guilty, so never happened in the eyes of the law (ha yeah right she says sarcasm dripping!!.)

And believe me some of the crimes I have written up you really DO NOT want to know about, sick F...friends or not!!!! :cross eye

What actually is the purpose of The Black Museum?
On some level I find it disturbing that these exhibits that are linked with such evil are preserved just to be gawped over by members of the Metroplitan Police. Does the museum have any worth on an academic level or is it just a private ghoulish sideshow?

Wasn't the Black Museum re-named for politically correct reasons?

Carole

ringwraith said:
What actually is the purpose of The Black Museum?
On some level I find it disturbing that these exhibits that are linked with such evil are preserved just to be gawped over by members of the Metroplitan Police. Does the museum have any worth on an academic level or is it just a private ghoulish sideshow?

Officially it is supposed to be a kind of reference 'library' where Police Officers can go to study crime, but it IS a ghoulish sideshow as well I'm afraid for the rest of the UK's police not just the Met, but at least the Met isn't making money from it.
Visits to the museum are booked up about a year in advance (although don't quote me on that.)

I visited the museum as it was part of my training for a particular department I went to work in, not for my own 'pleasure'.

However, as with any museum it is also history, and this is part of the history of crime and policing in the UK and so should be preserved.

Wasn't the Black Museum re-named for politically correct reasons?

Yes Carole it was re-named to the Crime Museum in the wake of the Stephen Lawrence Enquiry, but old habits die hard and it is still referred to as The Black Museum, as it one for over a hundred years.

The Black Museum - Pitt Street

As a youth and a member of a local youth club attached to a church we were shown around the Black Museum beneath the central Police station in Pitt Station in Glasgow. I can remember many of the exhibits, although they all related to crimes in Glasgow. Of the exhibits I can recall was...

A bread knife used in a murder. The display showed the bloody, stained knife (bent in two places because it was used with such force), the top part of the skull of the victim with marking where the knife had gone into the bone, and the small piece of the knife blade that was removed from the skull.

A bloody footprint on a floorboard which had convicted another murderer.

Various weapons confiscated from gang members (Glasgow had a gang problem in the sixties) which I recall were very vicious looking.

A representation of a youth being "birched", at one time a sentence.

I did once try to see around the Museum again when visiting Glasgow with friends but was flatly refused.

mooks out

I think it's probable that most, if not every, British city has its own 'Black Museum'. I remember visiting Salford Central police station when I was a cub scout and part of the trip consisted of a room devoted to the exhibition of various murderous implements - given recent history, it's probably about ten times bigger and more gruesome now...

Museum gets felon's mummified arm

The mummified arm of a criminal hanged in the 19th Century has been handed to the National Funeral Museum.
In 1812, George Ruddock and George Carpenter were sentenced to death for the murder of farmer William Webb, and his maidservant, Mary Gibbons.

The pair were publicly hanged on gallows erected near Warminster.

The bodies were removed to Salisbury and dissected but the mummified arm of Carpenter was retained by local surgeon, Dr Charles Kindersley.

He donated it to Wiltshire Police in 1938, who put it on display at the police museum in Marlborough, which has now closed.

'Gruesome reminder'

Carpenter and Ruddock were hanged on 13 March 1813, after a procession to the place of execution that involved 2,000 "Peace Officers".

The National Funeral Museum, currently under development, will trace the changes in funeral traditions over recent centuries.

John Harris, from Cribbs Funeral Directors in London, said: "I am honoured to be taking on this very historical, unusual and somewhat gruesome reminder of what went on all those years ago on a dark winter's night in Wiltshire.

"It will be an interesting addition to the museum."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wilt ... 354596.stm
I can't see any 'arm in it! :D

There was a documentary called Scotland Yard: The Golden Thread (1987) that spent a large amount of time devoted to The Black Museum and showed several exhibits.

In the book Murder Ink: The Mystery Reader's Companion (1977), Lawrence Henderson wrote an article about his visit to the museum.

A snippet:

It is with mixed emotions that one leaves the Black Museum. When I was asked which exhibit had struck me the most, it was not any of the objects of refined sexual torture or aids to perversion; it was not even the photographs that record the handiwork of the sadist Heath or the necrophiliac Christie.

In 1945 a girl, living in Southampton, sat opening gifts she received for her nineteenth birthday. One of the parcels that came through the mail contained a pair of binoculars and a card that said she would be surprised "how closely it brings things." She put the binoculars to one side while she opened the rest of the gifts, and it was her father who picked them up and casually touched the central focusing screw, whereupon needle-sharp spikes sprang from either eyepiece.

The binoculars had been painstakingly carved from solid wood, the spikes fitted inside on a rachet, powered by a coiled steel spring, and then the whole thing disguised with black rexine and enamel paint. The workmanship is incredible, the cunning intelligence of its execution frightening and the monumental hatred behind its creation is demoniac. It is also an unsolved crime.

That's pretty damn bizarre. Anyone know anything more about that case?

A quick google turned up another mention of the binocular case on another message board. It refers to the same source book (Murder Ink; A Mystery Readers Companion compiled by Dilys Winn). Apparently the father was blinded, but not killed.

A further search on Amazon did not turn up the book itself, but found another with references to it!
- AMAZON

rynner said:
A quick google turned up another mention of the binocular case on another message board. It refers to the same source book (Murder Ink; A Mystery Readers Companion compiled by Dilys Winn). Apparently the father was blinded, but not killed.

A further search on Amazon did not turn up the book itself, but found another with references to it!
- AMAZON

That link doesn't work. The book is here (fairly cheap secondhand):

Murder Ink: Mystery Reader's Companion
Dillys Winn (1978)

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0894800 ... enantmc-20
PB:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/07153 ... ntmagaz-21
HB:
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/07153 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/05173 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0517347 ... enantmc-20

and a followup or second edition:

Murder Ink: Revived, Revised, Still Unrepentant Perpetrated by Dilys Winn
Dilys Winn (1984)

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/08948 ... ntmagaz-21
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0894807 ... enantmc-20

The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum

Grisly exhibits linked to some of Britain’s most notorious criminals are set to go on display for the first time – after years hidden away in Scotland Yard’s “Black Museum”.

The museum – which is not currently open to the public – contains items relating to some of the UK’s most infamous crimes including the so-called “From Hell” letter purportedly written by Jack the Ripper, the pans that serial killer Dennis Nilsen used to boil his victims’ flesh. It also houses the noose that hanged Ruth Ellis, the last woman to be executed in the UK.

The institution has long faced calls to open its doors, despite concerns that some of the exhibits could upset surviving relatives of victims.

A report last year called on the Metropolitan Police to open up the space, now called the Crime Museum, to the public or at least stage an exhibition, to raise funds during a period of major government cuts. Until now, only serving police officers – and some special visitors by appointment – have been allowed access.

The Independent can now reveal that the Mayor’s Office and the Met are in talks with the Museum of London to display a selection of its 20,000-plus exhibits.

Sharon Ament, director of the Museum of London, said that the history of policing in London was “fascinating topic” that would draw visitors from around the world.

Visitors, including seasoned police officers, have been known to faint on seeing some of the exhibits, which include death masks of people hanged at Newgate prison and casts of their rope-scarred necks. A request for set of fingerprints from a murderer thought to have committed suicide in Cologne in the 1950s resulted in German authorities severing his arms and returning them to central London. They are now on display, cut from the elbow down.

Grisly exhibits linked to some of Britain’s most notorious criminals are set to go on display for the first time – after years hidden away in Scotland Yard’s “Black Museum”.

The museum – which is not currently open to the public – contains items relating to some of the UK’s most infamous crimes including the so-called “From Hell” letter purportedly written by Jack the Ripper, the pans that serial killer Dennis Nilsen used to boil his victims’ flesh. It also houses the noose that hanged Ruth Ellis, the last woman to be executed in the UK.

The institution has long faced calls to open its doors, despite concerns that some of the exhibits could upset surviving relatives of victims.

A report last year called on the Metropolitan Police to open up the space, now called the Crime Museum, to the public or at least stage an exhibition, to raise funds during a period of major government cuts. Until now, only serving police officers – and some special visitors by appointment – have been allowed access.

The Independent can now reveal that the Mayor’s Office and the Met are in talks with the Museum of London to display a selection of its 20,000-plus exhibits.

Sharon Ament, director of the Museum of London, said that the history of policing in London was “fascinating topic” that would draw visitors from around the world.

Visitors, including seasoned police officers, have been known to faint on seeing some of the exhibits, which include death masks of people hanged at Newgate prison and casts of their rope-scarred necks. A request for set of fingerprints from a murderer thought to have committed suicide in Cologne in the 1950s resulted in German authorities severing his arms and returning them to central London. They are now on display, cut from the elbow down

The museum also boasts a pommel horse that was put to alternative athletic uses at the homosexual brothel frequented by Oscar Wilde.

The Crime Museum is currently held in room 101 in the Met’s Victoria Street headquarters, its third location since first set up by an inspector in 1874. It has fallen into disuse as a training facility but senior officers are concerned at the effect of budget cuts on the museum and its fragile exhibits.

It is one of five Metropolitan Police museums, with others dedicated to the mounted branch, its archived historical collection, its Thames branch and old vehicles. Only a small part of the historical collection is currently open to the public.

“The wish is twofold: we’re obviously very proud of our history as the oldest police force in the world and to also show the role that the Metropolitan Police has played in London since 1829,” said Chief Supt Simon Ovens, chairman of the Met’s museum board.

“It’s not up to the Metropolitan Police to act as a censor but I hold very closely in mind the effect it may have on surviving family members of any part of the collection.”

Stephen Greenhalgh, deputy mayor for policing and crime, confirmed the meetings with the museum “about how the fantastic story of the Met Police can be told in their museum,” adding the talks were ongoing and they were looking for sponsorship.

Despite anticipated interest, few exhibitions make money and no decision has yet been made whether visitors will be charged to see the planned exhibition. Curators are currently visiting the historical sites to identify the items they want to display. Officials will then discuss the ethical considerations of putting them on show.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...isit-polices-grisly-crime-museum-9944994.html

Back