The Bloody Irish

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Ironic that it begins with a group of folk who do t want to be Irish!

Incidentally, the bar at about 4:54 minutes, booting the ball at the guy on the balcony, is my local. Was there that day. Was an amazing few days but the owner is certainly finding that paying this years tax estimated off last years exceptional profits is not as much fun!

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Sorry Ramon, i went thro 200 of Rowlf songs and i got nothing :( I love the Irish accent :p

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
What ? .. the ones that were singing in the stadium ? .. weren't they just having a laugh ? .. (I dunno, don't ask me, I'm from Birmingham)

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
What ? .. the ones that were singing in the stadium ? .. weren't they just having a laugh ? .. (I dunno, don't ask me, I'm from Birmingham)
Northern Ireland fans in the first clip - the giant Union Jack is the giveaway! They'd tell you they are British not Irish – the majority of them anyway of the football crowd. Different stances may be available among the wider NI populace. The Will Grigg song did a good job of getting the wider world to see them on the same level as the Republic fans as fun, friendly and out for the craic. The reality can be somewhat different...

Swifty

Northern Ireland fans in the first clip - the giant Union Jack is the giveaway! They'd tell you they are British not Irish – the majority of them anyway of the football crowd. Different stances may be available among the wider NI populace. The Will Grigg song did a good job of getting the wider world to see them on the same level as the Republic fans as fun, friendly and out for the craic. The reality can be somewhat different...
I'll do a bit of looking about for that Will Grigg song mate .. I don't know his music ..

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
You'll want to look for 90s dance track 'Freed From Desire' by Gala. Will Grigg is a player who had a very popular chant to the tune of that track.

He was the only NI outfield player who did not play a single minute at Euro 2016 meaning a song about him made more impact than he actually did himself.

:D

chris138

Ephemeral Spectre
I know plenty of them who consider themselves Irish.

Still, they're wearing green shirts in the crowd that read Irish Football Association and have four shamrocks on their chest. We were stopped from calling ourselves Ireland, not our decision, and continued to play players from the south in our squad years after Eire refused to select players born in the North and only due to complaints to Fifa from Eire. I know it's not been easy for the catholics to play for us, I applaud those that do..... They obviously see more than a bunch of sectarian brits out in that crowd when they pull on the jersey.

Both sets of fans are brilliant though they just love the craic!

chris138

Ephemeral Spectre
Northern Ireland fans in the first clip - the giant Union Jack is the giveaway! They'd tell you they are British not Irish – the majority of them anyway of the football crowd. Different stances may be available among the wider NI populace. The Will Grigg song did a good job of getting the wider world to see them on the same level as the Republic fans as fun, friendly and out for the craic. The reality can be somewhat different..
I can remember back in the mid 2000s we were voted the best fans in the world. You seem to have a wee grudge there, we are a very friendly people.

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
I know plenty of them who consider themselves Irish.

Still, they're wearing green shirts in the crowd that read Irish Football Association and have four shamrocks on their chest. We were stopped from calling ourselves Ireland, not our decision, and continued to play players from the south in our squad years after Eire refused to select players born in the North and only due to complaints to Fifa from Eire. I know it's not been easy for the catholics to play for us, I applaud those that do..... They obviously see more than a bunch of sectarian brits out in that crowd when they pull on the jersey.

Both sets of fans are brilliant though they just love the craic!
As I said, not all would agree with the British over Irish statement. Just going by my personal experiences with the NI support and the more jingoistic Union Jack waving element.

chris138

Ephemeral Spectre
Well I have no idea about your experiences. But hatred is rife in football, there's that thuggery everywhere from local football, scottish football, turkish, german, you name it. You could apply what you've said to many football teams including the team of the shirt you're wearing.

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Well I have no idea about your experiences. But hatred is rife in football, there's that thuggery everywhere from local football, scottish football, turkish, german, you name it. You could apply what you've said to many football teams including the team of the shirt you're wearing.
There is indeed. Different scales of thuggery and some places where you are more likely to find it than others.

From my experiences last summer with thousands of Republic of Ireland fans I didn't see a single bit of aggravation or trouble in the neighbourhoods where the fans congregated. Unfortunately the rest of France wasn't as lucky.

Hopefully Ireland will make it to Russia, that tournament looks like it will more friendly craic rather than unfriendly cracks.

Swifty

One of those list videos .. 13 shocking things found in Ireland. Someone who wasn't an extra in The Commitments surely must be at No. 1 ?.. ;)

chris138

Ephemeral Spectre
And Tory frontbencher Mr Penning said the vast majority of UK fans had been "tarnished" by a small minority who were involved in the "most abhorrent violence" seen for many years.

The Tottenham Hotspur supporter said: "With regards to the Euros, 65 UK supporters were arrested - 45 English, 11 Northern Irish and nine from Wales.

"Let me give the House an indication of the offences. So England, six for assault, 14 for public order, 13 for drunkenness, nine for criminal damage, two for drugs and one for ticket touting.

"Northern Ireland - two for criminal damage, two for public order, one for drunkenness, four for assault, one for ticket touting, and one for pitch encroachment, it used to be called invasion."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...ted-during-euro-2016-tournament-34843996.html

I dunno it's hard to find much bad said about the Norn Iron boys but yeah 11 arrests.

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
I'm not going to get into a whose fans are worse, I'm just going by my personal experience of NI football fans.

Anyhow, now, more than ever, what could a united Ireland football team - like their rugby counterparts - achieve? Both sides did well at Euro 2016. Maybe one team with the best of both could have gone even further.

Who knows, a united side, North men and South men together on the road to Russia or Qatar behind one Ireland team - football might do more to bring the next generation together than anything else could.