The Bloody Irish

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Only Sinn Féin MPs attended the meeting on January 21, 1919 in the Round Room of Dublin’s Mansion House, following the party’s landslide election victory a month earlier.

Despite being dubbed ‘futile and unreal’ by one Irish newspaper at the time, the event proved to be a crucial step en route to Ireland’s independence from Britain.

The party will host a commemorative event at the Mansion House this Saturday, January 12, to mark ‘an unequivocal act of national self-determination’.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/sinn...ry-historic-first-meeting-dail-eireann-163311

skinny

HARD AS NAILS

It's time. Now or never, I reckon.

(ed; not posted to stir controversy. This is a post in terms of hope and history, which everyone knows is not political).

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Not Australia

Fermanagh Image: BBC website

Funny ol' planet. Ice and snow there; heatwaves and record roasting here.
Rug up, you gurriers (and Merkans).

Last edited:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
My father in law is Irish, born in Mullingar, Co West Meath and my wife travels on both an Australian and Irish passport. Most of his family, aside from one brother all still live there.
Occasionally, this Youtube video gets played and my wife (who lived there for 6 months, years ago) and they all fall about pissing themselves laughing. It's amusing, but I suppose you have to be Irish to truly appreciate it.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Or vice versa. Someone will be organising sets and someone else will already be doing the Gay Gordons to a tune of the wrong beat without noticing. A priest or two will be the centre of little clusters of people trying to debate theology and small children will be underfoot as they scamper after streamers, sweeties and table decorations. Weary looking venue staff will have crisp £50s in their pockets and somebody's uncle will be attempting Come Out You Black and Tans to the tune of My Love is Like a Red Red Rose. Toasts will be being offered, feuds created and resolved.

Or is that just my set? :p

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Love Eire Og. Firing the live album up later this arvo (beware). Saw Gary at our local Irish club late 2017 and it was a blast. He's a real voice for Irish republicanism. I offered him a pint and he told me he didnae drink. Ok

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Around that time at a Scottish hotel wedding I attended, all the non-Scots had been packed off to bed while the revelry continued.

The braver Sassenachs who crept back for a peek observed a performance of 'I Am The Music Man' featuring a row of kilted men sitting sternly facing an audience.

At the words 'I can play the organ - organ - organ!' the men would stand up and lift their kilts high in front three times. The music was drowned out by whoops and screams of laughter. Made me think It must be fun to be Scottish.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman

And I've just found this picture of me at my deerstalking pal's wedding in the Deep North of Scotland:

The rifle's a borrowed .22-250; the target is a turnip 200 yards away. The kilt is MacGregor. It was made to measure for me by the woman who made Samuel L. Jackson's kilt for 51st State:

I have better legs.

;)

maximus otter

Last edited: