The Bloody Irish

And I've just found this picture of me at my deerstalking pal's wedding in the Deep North of Scotland:

The rifle's a borrowed .22-250; the target is a turnip 200 yards away. The kilt is MacGregor. It was made to measure for me by the woman who made Samuel L. Jackson's kilt for 51st State:

I have better legs.

;)

maximus otter
And a fine moustache.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Touching story here. I totally get the sentiment.
When a young filmmaker dies, 24 friends and family members journey to the Emerald Isle to retrace her steps and fulfil her dying wish.
http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20190429-a-friends-final-wish-in-ireland

Tossing of ashes from high off Doolin cliffs. That's where I wanna be scattered. Imagine the prevailing Atlantic easterlies would blow you back to Ennis though. Noooooooo!!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
“Billy McKee (Irish: Liam Mac Aoidh; 12 November 1921 – 11 June 2019) was an Irish republican and a founding member and leader of the Provisional Irish Republican Army (PIRA).

...McKee heard about this, he drove to Short Strand with some men and weapons and took up position at St Matthew's Church. In the ensuing five-hour gun battle, McKee was wounded and one of his men was killed, along with at least four Protestants.

On 15 April 1971 McKee, along with Proinsias MacAirt, was arrested by the British Army when found in possession of a hand gun.

...McKee authorised a number of sectarian attacks on Protestants as well as renewed attacks on rival republicans in the Official IRA.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_McKee

So he’s dead? Excellent.

maximus otter

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member

And I've just found this picture of me at my deerstalking pal's wedding in the Deep North of Scotland:

The rifle's a borrowed .22-250; the target is a turnip 200 yards away. The kilt is MacGregor. It was made to measure for me by the woman who made Samuel L. Jackson's kilt for 51st State:

I have better legs.

;)

maximus otter
The Devils in Skirts!

The Sahib thinks he is a Memsahib!

“Billy McKee (Irish: Liam Mac Aoidh; 12 November 1921 – 11 June 2019) was an Irish republican and a founding member and leader of the Provisional Irish Republican Army (PIRA).

...McKee heard about this, he drove to Short Strand with some men and weapons and took up position at St Matthew's Church. In the ensuing five-hour gun battle, McKee was wounded and one of his men was killed, along with at least four Protestants.

On 15 April 1971 McKee, along with Proinsias MacAirt, was arrested by the British Army when found in possession of a hand gun.

...McKee authorised a number of sectarian attacks on Protestants as well as renewed attacks on rival republicans in the Official IRA.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_McKee

So he’s dead? Excellent.

maximus otter

He defended the Short Strand from being overrun by an Orange mob who were intent on burning it out. From the casualty figures it obviously wasn't a one sided affair.

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
Irish Catholic father, English Protestant mother, we really never found the time or the effort to talk about sectarian hatred. I’m proud of being English and proud to be a “plastic paddy” as my Irish colleagues in the construction industry refer to me.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Brendy G's a great gas. Sharing the craic on The Guard. Not just JMM's best film, but Brendy's best performance for me yet. Hope Boyle returns some time.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Mr Gleeson's sister lives next door to my sister-in-law. Seems like a decent chap along with being a great actor.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Great Irish music. The original Dubliners. Some of the best of their songs are instrumentals. Simple yet enigmatic.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Well Paddies, is this American millenial correct? You'd think with a family name like that he'd have had a clue but most colonials have lost their heritage, sadly. I reckon he's 90% on the money.

Quite a few of these traits are exactly the same as my Australian culture. Eg the cuppa and bickies for all occasions and taking the piss

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Jay and Silent Bob and when they went to Ireland .. probably NSFW

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
Was in Liverpool today, chillin outside a pub. And what should come past but a march of Orangemen. Really? And they chose to march down possibly the most Irish Catholic street in the city.

Just surprised that it should still happen, or anyone would seriously still care.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
And they chose to march down possibly the most Irish Catholic street in the city.
I /think/ that's rather what they do? certainly in Scotland they choose not to march rather than be diverted away from a Roman Catholic chirch where there was an "incident" the year before. It was Police Scotland and the Council who made the new arrangements. Which weren't then used.

I loath it. It scares me. Even when I was a prod it scared me. But I defend their right to do it - but please, not the way they do it :(