The Bloody Irish

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
I /think/ that's rather what they do? certainly in Scotland they choose not to march rather than be diverted away from a Roman Catholic chirch where there was an "incident" the year before. It was Police Scotland and the Council who made the new arrangements. Which weren't then used.

I loath it. It scares me. Even when I was a prod it scared me. But I defend their right to do it - but please, not the way they do it :(
Everyone was pretty calm about it. I felt sorry for the children on the march -what bullshit are they being fed? But anyway, it no longer seems to incite violence - something more like pity.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Agreed - I can't remember the last time anyone had a go at them physically as they went by. The incidents tend to be the pther way around.

Edit to add: in Glasgow. Don't know about elsewhere.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
A friend and I were once driving out to one of the satellite towns of Glasgow to see another pal and were stopped by a march - no matter which street we tried to get down, the bloody marchers were there! Bigotry is still a big problem in Scotland, and I imagine it's even worse in Northern Ireland. I'd like to think there would be an end in sight, but too many people love being bigots, it seems.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
A friend and I were once driving out to one of the satellite towns of Glasgow to see another pal and were stopped by a march - no matter which street we tried to get down, the bloody marchers were there! Bigotry is still a big problem in Scotland, and I imagine it's even worse in Northern Ireland. I'd like to think there would be an end in sight, but too many people love being bigots, it seems.
It would seem so. All this happened hundreds of years ago - get over it, for goodness sake. A minor difference over the way a (possibly fictional) deity is worshipped should not lead to anyone's death - especially since said deity tells us specifically not to do that.

For entirely anorak reasons I know the spite the Irish Protestants had for the Catholics - they deliberately closed down railways in Catholic areas to make them more deprived (this is the Ulster government in the early 50's).

My family is historically Catholic but I was unaware because my Dad repealed (is that the right word) his belief during WW2.

Ogdred Weary

Sooner than expected.
Everyone was pretty calm about it. I felt sorry for the children on the march -what bullshit are they being fed? But anyway, it no longer seems to incite violence - something more like pity.
How many of them were there on the march? I was vaguely aware that they took place in some parts of Scotland but had never heard of it in England before now.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
How many of them were there on the march? I was vaguely aware that they took place in some parts of Scotland but had never heard of it in England before now.
A couple of hundred at a rough guess. All the usual trappings, loud drums, orange sashes etc. It happens every year apparently.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
It's sad I think. I've been to an occasional Sikh parade and the RC churches do, say, corpus christi from time to time.

People come out to look and wave and take photos. Kids scampering along and through the people walking.

I don't know how the Orange Order might turn things around, starting from here. :(

It's sad I think. I've been to an occasional Sikh parade and the RC churches do, say, corpus christi from time to time.

People come out to look and wave and take photos. Kids scampering along and through the people walking.

I don't know how the Orange Order might turn things around, starting from here. :(
In Derry there is a cross-community festival to mark the siege/lifting of same.

Sadly in the rest of NI there is much sectarianism. In parts of North Belfast the OO march through Catholic areas just to get on buses to go to the main Belfast Parades.

The victory of King William was effectively the vanquishing of the divine rights of kings, William would be subject to Parliament. It's a pity that the opening of Representative Democracy in these Isles is celebrated in a Sectarian manner.

Sadly the Non-Conforming Apprentice Boys of Derry who shut the city gates in the face of James' army in defence of Civil and Religious Liberties ended up losing just that. William supported Religious Toleration but the Anglican dominated Parliament passed Penal Laws discriminating against Presbyterians and Non-Conforming Churches as well as against RCs. A complicated situation but an advance from Absolute Monarchy.

Cochise

Justified & Ancient
Well, the parade last week was just a rehearsal - they did the full job on Friday 12th . Not many more people marching but a full Police presence. Very provocative. Still freedom of speech etc.

Thing is, if we can't resolve divisions from 400 years ago what hope is there for a 'multicultural' society. Where I live there is still a minority who don't accept Anglo-Saxons. Not going in to details, but planning to move back to England for my old age - fed up with the hostility. Admittedly from a minority but I don't need it. I'm not even all that English - I'm a quarter Italian and a quarter Swiss.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Well, the parade last week was just a rehearsal - they did the full job on Friday 12th . Not many more people marching but a full Police presence. Very provocative. Still freedom of speech etc.

Thing is, if we can't resolve divisions from 400 years ago what hope is there for a 'multicultural' society. Where I live there is still a minority who don't accept Anglo-Saxons. Not going in to details, but planning to move back to England for my old age - fed up with the hostility. Admittedly from a minority but I don't need it. I'm not even all that English - I'm a quarter Italian and a quarter Swiss.
Move to Cromer ... we don't do hostility kind of daft stuff here. We do different daft stuff.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

Sorry to hear that. Move to Yorkshire. By 'eck, it's reet grand.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
McConnell and The Keane's Bar in Listowel are featured regularly in The Irish Pub doco (can't rec it highly enough). The pub was founded by the very well-regarded Irish playwright JB Keane. He of 'The Field' fame. That's his son standing behind - the current publican.

Keane's will be a must-stop on my tour. Pecker Dunne used to play there way back on his way round.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Who be your favourite Irish gals?

I'm gunna list mine in no particular order.
  • Maud Gonne
  • Maire Rua O'Brien nee McMahon
  • Aisling Bea
  • Fionulla Flanagan
  • Countess Markievicz nee Gore-Booth
  • Terese MacGowan
  • Dolores O'Riordan
  • Muirgel
  • Brigid
  • Clare Daly
  • Mary-Lou MacDonald
  • Moya Brennan
  • Edna O'Brien
  • Veronica Guerin
  • Mary Robinson
  • Dil Wickremasinghe
  • Fiona Shaw
  • Caoimhe Butterly
  • Martina Anderson
  • Síle Ní Chinnéide
  • Gráinne Ní Mháille ~ There must be a film made about this great warrior.

My latest heart-throb:

Last edited: