• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Body Language

Only last month I was sent on a body language away day (yes it was as fun as it sounds!) with a woman who does a lot of body language stuff on tv. The thing was that although it was a mix of common sence (i.e, if you work on a reception you need to keep your eyes open - duh!) & crazy figures about how important it all is, I couldn't help think that most of it is B.S!

I also have a very David Icke esk story about the woman who gave us the away day presentation, but I'll save that for another thread! :twisted:

Body language is obviously important but it's this obsession with formulating strict rules about what this that or the other means that is way off the mark. My understanding is that you establish a persons' baseline behaviour and spot changes in that. If someone scratches their nose when they are talking to you doesn't mean they're necessarily lying. They might just have a big bogey that needs poking out.

Their seems to be a tendency of late to take things that are really just guides and turn them into the last word on the subject. Like that bloody body mass index for instance. You could walk into a GP surgery looking like a skeleton and if your BMI was high you'd still be classed a bloater and told to go and diet.

drbastard said:
Their seems to be a tendency of late to take things that are really just guides and turn them into the last word on the subject. Like that bloody body mass index for instance. You could walk into a GP surgery looking like a skeleton and if your BMI was high you'd still be classed a bloater and told to go and diet.

Spot on!

Working in retail a couple of things about Body Language spring to mind Firstly that a good sales assistant is watching body language of customers to see who is needing help, spotting who has donations and who has shopping is a skill, spotting by body language who will appreciate help and who will not is a skill, another thing that is barely mentioned is using body language to communicate with someone who does not speak the same language, do they need the toilet, do they need a coat or a jumper, using gestures to indicate things and watching for the moment they relax as you get it right is practical body language skills.

Back