• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Graffiti & Street Art Thread

More sabotage than graffiti, but on a train carriage sign reading "Please do not put your feet on the seats" some wag had changed it to "Ease your feet on the seats".

Saw this from the other side of the road a few days ago and thought it look like some sort of occult type diagram, went past today for a proper look and with camera, appears to be a memorial of sorts.

0vAEQs1.jpg

It seems to have become a thing around Burley and Headingley to paint the street furniture - this is opposite the parade of shops on Otley Road where all the charity shops are.

As an habitual collector of graffiti - from high level guerrilla street art, to the toilet wall scrawlings of the terminally forlorn - I've long been thinking about starting a thread. And here's one fully formed - which somehow passed me by.

To start with - a very poor photo of sad words written in a bathroom. Possibly the most erudite piece of toilet wall philosophising I've seen, and somehow quite poignant:

View attachment 11811

Here is my contribution, from a Brixton pub toilet wall, taken on a crappy phone camera, around 11/12 years ago:

grafitto.jpg

I like its meta-grafitto-ness - presenting the existing grafitti as Louis Theroux might present a very earnest documentary.

I may have mentioned my 40 years service in the construction industry on ”the odd occasion”, one of the great improvements over the years is welfare facilities which are no longer dirty, smelly hell holes. One thing though is the wit seems to have dropped out of the graffiti.

From a Fortean point of view the one I still smile about went something like this

“ANYONE INTERESTED IN TIME TRAVEL MEET ME HERE AT 08.00 YESTERDAY”

Where has all the humour gone???

I may have mentioned my 40 years service in the construction industry on ”the odd occasion”, one of the great improvements over the years is welfare facilities which are no longer dirty, smelly hell holes. One thing though is the wit seems to have dropped out of the graffiti.

From a Fortean point of view the one I still smile about went something like this

“ANYONE INTERESTED IN TIME TRAVEL MEET ME HERE AT 08.00 YESTERDAY”

Where has all the humour gone???
Facebook. People have virtual walls to scrawl on, now, not actual ones. And the unlimited canvas afforded to what I suppose we must call their thoughts means there's less of a filter applied, hence fewer pearls among the dross. About the only constant is the sewer which flows a little under the surface.

Somewhere I am sure there is a book on 'The Wit and Wisdom of Toilet Walls'.

Finally! It's time for:

In Trinity-College Bogs.
Ye Cantabs mind when ye are sh--t--ng,

How nearly ’tis allied to Writing.

——To Writing, say you? ——pray how so?

An uncouth Simile, I trow.

——Hold, pray —— Condemn it not untry’d;

Hear only how it is apply’d.

As learned Johnian wracks his Brain——

Thinks, ——hems, ——looks wise, ——then thinks again;——

When all this Preparation’s done,

The mighty Product is —— a Pun.

So some with direful strange Grimaces,

Within this Dome distort their Faces;

Strain, ——squeeze, ——yet loth for to depart,

Again they strain—for what? a Fart.

Hence Cantabs take this moral Trite,

’Gainst Nature, if ye think or sh--te;

Use all the Labour, all the Art,

’Twill ne’er exceed a Pun, or Fart.

"anyone want a blowjob, meet me here at 5 tomorrow" in black biro

and written underneath in blue biro

"where were you?"

(North Lodge Park public toilets, Cromer)

I once visited a toilet stall one wall of which was adorned with much salacious and witty graffiti by gay men. Beneath this appeared something like: “Goddamn queers! Faggots! Go fuck yourselves!”. Beneath which someone had responded: “Honey, if we could, we would”.

A quote from Francis Bacon inscribed outside a large municipal Library (possibly Liverpool, probably from Reader's Digest)

Reading maketh a full man;
Conference a ready man;
And writing an exact man.

Bacon. makes a fat man

Somebody has compared Thunberg to an iceberg, with that mural.

Back