• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Candiru: Fish Alleged To Enter Humans Via Urethra

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I remember the guy with the bacon on his head, he was photographed and interviewed for British tabloids like the Star.

I've also heard stories of foolhardy travellers who ignored locals' warnings not to hang out washing overnight, then found their nether regions infested with itchy parasites hatched from eggs laid in their kecks.

And........
What about the various creatures reputed to attack a chap's Old Chap vertically via the urine stream, should said chap profane a tropical river?

... There's a small fish in South America/Asia/Australia that swims up your, um, urine stream, and bites :eek!!!!: (glad I'm female and not in the habit of squatting over tropical rivers!). This was actually told to me by a local guide whilst on a backpacking (ie cheap) trip to Brazil - I assumed it was meant to discourage people from polluting the water, until the contents of the latrine were dumped into the river...

Jane.

Last edited by a moderator:
mejane said:
There's a small fish in South America/Asia/Australia that swims up your, um, urine stream, and bites :eek!!!!: (glad I'm female and not in the habit of squatting over tropical rivers!). This was actually told to me by a local guide whilst on a backpacking (ie cheap) trip to Brazil - I assumed it was meant to discourage people from polluting the water, until the contents of the latrine were dumped into the river...

Jane.
That's actually true, though only in South America. I don't think its a fish, more like a tiny crab that swims up the stream into a man's uthera and then pushes out a set of spikes.
Check out Raymond O'Hara's book about adventuring in the Amazon for a more scientific explanation

The Candiru

chatsubo said:
That's actually true, though only in South America. I don't think its a fish, more like a tiny crab that swims up the stream into a man's uthera and then pushes out a set of spikes.
Check out Raymond O'Hara's book about adventuring in the Amazon for a more scientific explanation

I first heard of this creature in some fiction by the late 'beat' novelist William Burrough's. The Candiru appear in 'Cities of the Red Night' and the 'Naked Lunch' which some people may be familiar with. I think Burrough's uses the nasty burrowing little fish as a metaphor for VD and that you shouldn't 'dive into murky unknown waters without knowing what's there.' Quite moral really. Burrough's himself although incredibly moral in a textbook kind of way wrote graphic books about drug addiction and homosexuality. He was deeply involved in both and based most of his work on these subjects.

I'm not sure if this might want a thread of its own or not, but the famous, legendary Candiru is in fact a species of catfish.

Readers may be familiar with this fish from the work of William Burroughs, who was delighted with its alleged propensity to swim up the human urethra or anus and feed on blood.

Could this in fact be a myth? If so, where does it come from??

These smaller species are known for an alleged tendency to invade and parasitise the human urethra; however, despite ethnological reports dating back to the late 19th century,[1] the first documented case of the removal of a candiru from a human urethra did not occur until 1997, and even that incident has remained a matter of controversy.

------

Attacks on humans: myth vs. fact

Although lurid anecdotes of attacks on humans abound, very few cases have been verified, and some alleged traits of the fish have been discredited as myth or superstition.
[edit] Historical accounts

The earliest published report on this candiru attacking human hosts comes from German biologist C. F. P. von Martius in 1829, who never actually observed it, but rather was told about it by the native people of the area, including that men would tie a ligature around their penis while going into the river to prevent this from happening. Other sources also suggest that other tribes in the area used various forms of protective coverings for their genitals while bathing, though it was also suggested that these were to prevent bites from piranha. Martius also speculated that the fish were attracted by the "odor" of urine.[7] Later experimental evidence showed this to be false, as the fish actually hunt by sight and have no attraction to urine at all.[8]

Another report from French naturalist Frances de Castelnau in 1855 relates an allegation by local Araguay fisherman, saying that it is dangerous to urinate in the river as the fish "springs out of the water and penetrates into the urethra by ascending the length of the liquid column."[9] While Castelnau himself dismissed this claim as "absolutely preposterous," and the fluid mechanics of such a thing occurring literally defy the laws of physics, it remains one of the more stubborn myths about the candiru. It has been suggested this claim evolved out of the real observation that certain species of fish in the Amazon will gather at the surface near the point where a urine stream enters, having been attracted by the noise and agitation of the water. [10]

In 1836 Eduard Poeppig documented a statement by a local physician in Pará, known only as Dr. Lacerda, who offered an eyewitness account of a case where a candiru had entered a human orifice. However it was lodged in a native woman's vagina, rather than a male urethra. He relates that the fish was extracted after external and internal application of the juice from a Xagua plant (believed to be a name for Genipa americana). Another account was documented by biologist George A. Boulenger from a Brazilian physician named Dr. Bach, who examined a man and several boys whose penises had been amputated. Bach believed this was a remedy performed because of parasitism by candiru, but he was merely speculating as he did not speak his patient's language.[11] American biologist Eugene Willis Gudger noted the area the patients were from did not have candiru in its rivers, and suggested the amputations were much more likely the result of having been attacked by piranha.[10]

In 1891, naturalist Paul Le Cointe provides a rare first-hand account of a candiru entering a human body, and like Lacerda's account, it involved the fish being lodged in the vaginal canal, not the urethra. Le Cointe actually removed the fish himself, by pushing it forward to disengage the spines, turning it around and removing it head-first.[12]

Gudger, in 1930, noted there have been several other cases reported wherein the fish entered the vaginal canal, but not a single case of a candiru entering the anus was ever documented. According to Gudger, this lends credence to the unlikelihood of the fish entering the male urethra, based on the comparatively small opening that would only accommodate the most immature members of the species.[10]

It was also once thought that the fish was attracted to urine, as the candiru's primary prey emits urea from its gills, but this was later discredited in formal experimentation.[4][8] Indeed, the fish appears not to have any response to any chemical attractants, and primarily hunts by visual tracking.[8]
[edit] Modern case

To date, there is only one documented case of a candiru entering a human urinary system, which took place in Itacoatiara, Brazil in 1997.[13][14] In this incident, the victim (a 23 year old man known only as "F.B.C.") claimed a candiru "jumped" from the water into his urethra as he urinated while thigh-deep in a river.[15] After traveling to Manaus on October 28, 1997, the victim underwent a two-hour urological surgery by Dr. Anoar Samad to remove the fish from his body.[14]

In 1999, American marine biologist Stephen Spotte traveled to Brazil to investigate this particular incident in detail. He recounts the events of his investigation in his book Candiru: Life and Legend of the Bloodsucking Catfishes.[16] Spotte met with Dr. Samad in person and interviewed him at his practice and home. Samad gave him photos, the original VHS tape of the cystoscopy procedure, and the actual fish's body preserved in formalin as his donation to the INPA.[17] Spotte and his colleague Paulo Petry took these materials and examined them at the INPA, comparing them with Samad's formal paper. While Spotte did not overtly express any conclusions as to the veracity of the incident, he did remark on several observations that were suspicious about the claims of the patient and/or Samad himself.

According to Samad, the patient claimed "the fish had darted out of the water, up the urine stream, and into his urethra." While this is the most popularly known legendary trait of the candiru, according to Spotte it has been known conclusively to be a myth for more than a century, as it is impossible due to simple fluid physics.[18]
The documentation and specimen provided indicate a fish that was 133.5 mm in length and had a head with a diameter of 11.5 mm. This would have required significant force to pry the urethra open to this extent. The candiru has no appendages or other apparatus that would have been necessary to accomplish this, and if it were leaping out of the water as the patient claimed, it would not have had sufficient leverage to force its way inside.[19]
Samad's paper claims the fish must have been attracted by the urine.[14] This belief about the fish has been around for centuries, but was discredited in 2001.[8] While this was merely speculation on Samad's part based on the prevailing scientific knowledge at the time, it somewhat erodes the patient's story by eliminating the motivation for the fish to have attacked him in the first place.
Samad claimed the fish had "chewed" its way through the ventral wall of the urethra into the patient's scrotum. Spotte notes that the candiru does not possess the right teeth or strong enough dentition to have been capable of this.[20]
Samad claimed he had to snip the candiru's grasping spikes off in order to extract it, yet the specimen provided had all its spikes intact.[21]
The cystoscopy video depicts traveling into to a tubular space (presumed to be the patient's urethra) containing the fish's carcass and then pulling it out backwards through the urethral opening,[22] something that would have been almost impossible with the fish's spikes intact.[23]

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll have heard of the candiru, the tiny Amazonian fish that swims up a stream of urine and into the genitals of the person relieving themselves, thus infecting them? Well, in FT 330's Mythconceptions column, it says there are conflicting accounts and studies about this creature, so does it exist or not? And if it does exist, is it able to perform this amazing and uncomfortable feat?

I'm no ichthyologist but I've never believed a word of it. It's always sounded like a version of penis-snatching to me.

Candiru the parasitic catfish exist. They feed by attaching to the gills of other fish and drink their blood by making a hole in the major blood vessels there. They feed then leave. They may try to enter the urethra but are unlikely to succeed.

I can imagine a fish following a stream of urine if the urinator is at least waist deep in water, but if the stream starts above the water surface then I think the fish would have problems getting enough traction to make upwards progress.

Wiki says:
[the] smaller species are known for an alleged tendency to invade and parasitise the human urethra; however, despite ethnological reports dating back to the late 19th century,[5] the first documented case of the removal of a candiru from a human urethra did not occur until 1997, and even that incident has remained a matter of controversy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candiru

More discussion on page. (And my view about traction, above, gets some backing: " ...it is impossible because of simple fluid physics."

Sounds like another illusion shattered. The FT column mentions the debunking had been debunked recently, but maybe the debunking of the debunking needs to be debunked. I wasn't planning to relieve myself in a tropical river, but I'm still relieved in a different way now.

Doesn't it seem odd that the commonly-encountered legend focuses on the (apparently apocryphal) invasions of male penises and never seems to mention the known / documented incursions into females' vaginas?

Actual vaginal incursions would seem obviously relevant as glosses lending credence to the penile invasion legend.

Doesn't it seem odd that the commonly-encountered legend focuses on the (apparently apocryphal) invasions of male penises and never seems to mention the known / documented incursions into females' vaginas?

Actual vaginal incursions would seem obviously relevant as glosses lending credence to the penile invasion legend.
It would perhaps be more likely than the 'penile invasions'.

I wonder if circumcision has an effect? The vagina has its protection as does the penis with a foreskin.

EDIT: I totally get that it's probably a myth that anything swims up the penis.

... I totally get that it's probably a myth that anything swims up the penis.

The most easily refutable bit isn't that anything could swim up into the penis, but rather that anything could swim up an airborne stream of urine to get to the penis. This basically can't happen, based on the physics of the situation.

It always occurred to me the tale would be more plausible if it involved a man or boy peeing underwater. However, I don't recall ever seeing a published account that claimed the victim's penis was immersed at the time of the candiru's entry. The 1997 story cited in the Wikipedia article is largely rendered implausible because the victim claimed to be standing only thigh-deep in water when urinating.

The most easily refutable bit isn't that anything could swim up into the penis, but rather that anything could swim up an airborne stream of urine to get to the penis. This basically can't happen, based on the physics of the situation.

It always occurred to me the tale would be more plausible if it involved a man or boy peeing underwater. However, I don't recall ever seeing a published account that claimed the victim's penis was immersed at the time of the candiru's entry. The 1997 story cited in the Wikipedia article is largely rendered implausible because the victim claimed to be standing only thigh-deep in water when urinating.

Soooo who's going to test this?

The published legend originated with stories indigenous natives told visitors (and the visitors accepted at face value).

In the circa 1.5 centuries since it was first documented no verified case involving a male victim has been documented, yet multiple cases involving females (the vaginal incursions) are known.

This makes me wonder whether the legend began as a bit of cautionary sexual folklore told to boys and young men.

Even people very familiar with an area and its wildlife can get things wrong. I remember something in a Gerald Durrell book about the locals in an area of Africa he visited believing pythons to be venomous (they're not).

Or perhaps it's not a myth.
FULL WARNING ON THE FOLLOWING LINK, which contains photos of a candiru apparently being removed from someone's urethra in 1997.

https://translate.google.com/transl....br/urologia/Casosclinicos.htm&langpair=pt|en

Here's the text (machine-translated from Portuguese) for those who don't want to take the risky click:

Introduction : Urologists who attend emergency services are accustomed to the most frequent causes of urethral bleeding such as impacted calculus in the urethra, infections and even some cases of foreign bodies. But undoubtedly a fish inside the urethra is incredible.

Case report : A 23-year-old male patient sought emergency care with extreme difficulty urinating and bleeding from the urethra, with a history of 3 days being attacked by a fish from the Amazonian region known as CANDIRÚ and had even penetrated his urethra when he was urinating into the river, said that he tried to hold him, but it was very smooth and seemed to be of small size. At physical examination, the patient was discolored with fever, severe penile manipulation pain, urinary retention, bleeding from the penis and great bag swelling scrotal The patient was referred to the surgical center and, under anesthesia, we underwent cystoscopy (endoscopy of the urethra and bladder) for diagnosis and documentation of the case. We identified that the fish was large in size occupying the entire anterior urethra and impacted near the urinary sphincter or urine-controlling muscle (probably while alive the fish tried to penetrate into a scrotal sac, explaining the important swelling of the same ). We thought about opening the perineum and removing it by this route, but we managed to remove it through the endoscopic route. Patient remained hospitalized with clinical care inherent to the case and, after one year, did not experience narrowing of the urethra and / or any other complication.

Discussion : This fish was listed in the ichthyological collection of INPA (15590) and positively identified as the order Siluriformes; Family Trichomycteridae and Genus Plectrochilus. Probably the attack occurred by some substance in the human urine that attracted this fish. In any case this was the only documented evidence of an accident with humans.

“The insertion of foreign bodies into the urethra is an unusual, though well documented, practice in which a wide variety of objects has been implicated.

The activity principally occurs during pathological masturbation, intoxication, or as a consequence of psychiatric disturbance.”

https://emj.bmj.com/content/17/3/231

I’m thinking that we have here the Amazonian equivalent of “I was Hoovering in my dressing gown when l fell over backwards and...”

maximus otter

The Candiru fish swimming up a stream of urine legend is mentioned in the book, The SAS Survival Handbook. I only know that because my Dad used to own the book. As I remember it, the advice given to avoid that happening was to pee in something first and then pour that into the river.

FULL WARNING ON THE FOLLOWING LINK, which contains photos of a candiru apparently being removed from someone's urethra in 1997.

https://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://web.archive.org/web/20040616043555/http://www.internext.com.br/urologia/Casosclinicos.htm&langpair=pt|en

Here's the text (machine-translated from Portuguese) for those who don't want to take the risky click:

Foreign objects often become lodged in human orifices. They don't usually get there on their own. ;)

Foreign objects often become lodged in human orifices. They don't usually get there on their own. ;)
LOL! What exactly are you insinuating escargot? Surely you aren't suggesting the guy did this to himself deliberately? CBT? (Not the shortening of Combat, or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy btw).

FULL WARNING ON THE FOLLOWING LINK, which contains photos of a candiru apparently being removed from someone's urethra in 1997. ...

That would be the 1997 incident at the center of controversy (see the Wikipedia article). As far as I can tell, it's generally been dismissed if not debunked.

LOL! What exactly are you insinuating escargot? Surely you aren't suggesting the guy did this to himself deliberately? CBT? (Not the shortening of Combat, or Cognitive Behavioral Therapy btw).

IF there was really a fish up there, and I don't even believe that, then yeah, he did it himself. Or he got a close pal to assist him.

Emergency departments see people who do things like this to themselves and each other all the time. Anything you can imagine being rammed up some daft bastard's urethra has already been fished out by medics.

Also, if this was a thing that really happened there'd be other cases. The BMJ'd be full of it. Doctors love to read about bizarre injuries, especially self-inflicted ones, most of all those of a sexual nature. I have CDs full of them!

The most bizarre medical ULs pale beside what people really do to themselves. So yeah, it's rubbish.

Back