• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Charlie Charlie Challenge - The modern Ouija board

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
The latest craze among teenagers on social networks are posting videos of themself trying to get the attention from Charlie, the demon. Some have reported strange and weird things happening after the "seance".

The Charlie Charlie Challenge - what is the spooky craze?
A bizarre new craze is sweeping the internet - but what is this Ouija-board inspired game about?

By Telegraph reporter

6:58PM BST 27 May 2015

A strange new game is taking over Twitter, fuelled by speculation that its players can connect with a dead Mexican spirit known as Charlie.

The Charlie Charlie Challenge has been played by thousands of young people after a number of videos purported to show supernatural goings-on.

The game entails placing two pencils on a piece of paper in the shape of the cross with the words 'yes' and 'no'. Participants then repeat the phrase "Charlie, Charlie can we play?" in order to connect with the demon.

If Charlie is there the pencils will move to indicate his answer.

One reddit user believes he has uncovered a full explanation of the game:

"The best explanation I have found is here.

You’ve probably heard of using a Ouija board to contact spirits, but I bet you haven’t heard of using pencils to have your questions answered by supernatural beings! The Pencil Game, also called “Charlie, Charlie,” is a traditional Mexican ritual wherein players (usually children) are said to contact the spirit of a child named Charlie.

To play The Pencil Game, you will need six pencils and a partner. Facing each other, each person must hold three pencils and arrange them as three sides of a box, with the open end facing the other person. It is best to use unsharpened pencils, or to hold the tips so that the eraser ends are pointed toward your partner. The ends of your pencils will need to touch your partner’s to form a complete rectangle.

To begin the game, both players must chant: “Charlie, Charlie, can we play?” If the pencils move inward or up, the answer is yes. If they move outward or down, the answer is no. If one side goes one way and the other side goes a different way, it means maybe or the question can’t be answered at this time. You can then ask the spirit of Charlie yes or no questions, and he will respond by moving the pencils. Charlie is kind of like the spirit world version of a Magic 8 ball. To end the game, both players must chant: “Charlie, Charlie, can we stop?” After the pencils move, both players drop all of the pencils on the floor to break contact with Charlie."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...62/What-is-the-Charlie-Charlie-Challenge.html

Last edited:
This is what happens when the Slender Man gets bad press.

I read about this & I am sure it said a pencil company started this craze!

If so its a great way of increasing sales...

I bet a small amount of breath is all thats needed to move those pencils....yawn.

I bet a small amount of breath is all thats needed to move those pencils....yawn.
There was an old pub trick which had me baffled for at least 25 minutes which involved a cigarette rolling of its own accord across a table or bar top. It was, of course blown by a stream of breath from the nostril.

There was an old pub trick which had me baffled for at least 25 minutes which involved a cigarette rolling of its own accord across a table or bar top. It was, of course blown by a stream of breath from the nostril.

There was a foreign fellow who could turn the pages of a phone book without touching it. He attracted alot of media attention until that is, he couldnt perform the same miracle with other types of book. It was later learnt that he was cleverly blowing air at the pages.

There was a foreign fellow who could turn the pages of a phone book without touching it. He attracted alot of media attention until that is, he couldnt perform the same miracle with other types of book. It was later learnt that he was cleverly blowing air at the pages.
He also couldn't perform the trick when James Randi placed a lot of small pieces of polystyrene around the book. He was afraid that he'd blow the polystyrene as well as the pages and give the game away.
It's on YouTube somewhere.

t

Another old pub trick is betting someone that they can't bend a cigarette completely in half without snapping it .. of course you cant .. so when it's your turn, tightly wrap roll a five pound note around your cigarette and bend the cigarette completely in half .. un-bend it and the cigarette is merely a bit crinkled .. winners pint earned .. ;)

We tried the Charlie Charlie game again the other night (after our first failure mentioned in the "not very interesting" thread). After much fidgeting around and shouting "Charlie, Charlie, are you there?" the pencil finally swung over to the "no" and firmly stayed there, no matter what we did after that.

I'm beginning to suspect Charlie is just pretending not to be home so we'll stop bothering him. :p

We tried the Charlie Charlie game again the other night (after our first failure mentioned in the "not very interesting" thread). After much fidgeting around and shouting "Charlie, Charlie, are you there?" the pencil finally swung over to the "no" and firmly stayed there, no matter what we did after that.

I'm beginning to suspect Charlie is just pretending not to be home so we'll stop bothering him. :p

Perhaps something other than charlie was telling you to pack it in :)

The only charlie I can recall in my life would be that arcade game, and in that one he worked at a circus (and wasnt a fortune teller ). So folks instead of attracting other-dimensional aggro obtain you entertainment from Circus Charlie instead :)

t

Another old pub trick is betting someone that they can't bend a cigarette completely in half without snapping it .. of course you cant .. so when it's your turn, tightly wrap roll a five pound note around your cigarette and bend the cigarette completely in half .. un-bend it and the cigarette is merely a bit crinkled .. winners pint earned .. ;)

One I remember from my smoking days - the mystery of the vanishing smoke: as usual the tip of your cigarette glows as you inhale. You can then revel in the stares, simultaneously perplexed and admiring*, of onlookers as you proceed to exhale no smoke whatsoever. Much as with the phone directory trick - and I shall doubtless be banished from the Magic Circle for this - the secret lies in blowing out judiciously instead of inhaling.

* At least, that's how I chose to interpret them...

Last edited:
Perhaps something other than charlie was telling you to pack it in :)

The only charlie I can recall in my life would be that arcade game, and in that one he worked at a circus (and wasnt a fortune teller ). So folks instead of attracting other-dimensional aggro obtain you entertainment from Circus Charlie instead :)

haha :)

When my now-18 year old was about 9 or so, he made up a tale that a ghost named Charlie C. Martinez was inhabiting our back yard. He'd go around intoning darkly, "Charlie C. Martinez walks at midnight".

I like to think maybe Charlie Charlie is our former backyard ghost. After all, it was never specified what that middle initial stood for. :D

haha :)

When my now-18 year old was about 9 or so, he made up a tale that a ghost named Charlie C. Martinez was inhabiting our back yard. He'd go around intoning darkly, "Charlie C. Martinez walks at midnight".

I like to think maybe Charlie Charlie is our former backyard ghost. After all, it was never specified what that middle initial stood for. :D

That tale does carry a slight degree of spookiness though.

I decided to try this out myself, paper & two pencils. Stood there feeling like a plum asking Charlie to respond and nothing.

I then left this setup and asked Mr C to move it whilst I was out. Just got back and erm, nothing.

It appears it was actually viral marketing for a movie called The Gallows.

It appears it was actually viral marketing for a movie called The Gallows.

Ah, that explains why Charlie would only say no when I asked if he was there - they weren't marketing to my demographic. :p

David Copperfield has missed a trick with Charlie frigging Charlie. He could have produced another season of magic shows with that trick.

Keep your eyes peeled though, ( glancing over my crystal ball ) I can see an android app being produced soon that allows you to carry charlie charlie around with you :)

I tried it and watch what happened !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie's a Villain! .. that's settled it for me :D .. Holte End .. barmy army!

edit: NO blowing on pencils were used in the making of this video.

Last edited:
The death of that girl will only increase the urge in certain individuals to try it out for themselves.

Works now. Must be up and down.

I've never heard of somebody leaking blood at every orifice, as a result of a brain haemorrhage.
If that bit is true, it is very odd indeed.

I've never heard of somebody leaking blood at every orifice, as a result of a brain haemorrhage.
If that bit is true, it is very odd indeed.
A teacher at school told us that's what happened to Edgar Allen Poes wife. He was prone to exaggeration though.

Back