• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Child Snatcher(s) (Child Abductor Trope / Meme): UL?

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Eerie, elusive van man rattles Rye residents

By PHIL REISMAN
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: December 5, 2004)

There once was a man who drove a green van.

That sounds like the the beginning of an innocent limerick or a Dr. Seuss rhyme, but anyone following the news would instantly recognize it as the thumbnail profile of a sick, peripatetic freak-on-wheels whose single-minded purpose in life appears to be a desire to snatch and carry off children.

He is undoubtedly real, this van-driving man. But he is rapidly becoming the stuff of suburban myth.

For more than a month, he has managed to elude police capture despite the fact that he has traveled across a very short locus and has brazenly popped up over and over again in one particular neighborhood of Rye. He is like a supernatural specter, the "thing" under the bed and the bogeyman outside the window.

Indeed, he has been seen only through the eyes of very frightened children who invariably describe encounters with an aggressive, middle-aged white man with dark, curly hair, crooked, yellow teeth, raspy voice and beard stubble. No one has gotten a license plate number. He has escaped helicopter surveillance, stakeouts and stepped-up patrols. It's as if adults can't see him at all.

And yet he is every parent's waking nightmare — the invisible, primitive force of evil that waits in the shadows.

The green van which he rarely leaves sometimes changes in the telling. Sometimes in descriptions it morphs into an SUV or a minivan or a regular passenger car. Sometimes the man has an accomplice, a blonde woman with long fingernails.

We live in a strange time of Osama bin Laden terror and Harry Potter fantasy, so the police are probably faced with the constant task of parsing reality from imagination when it comes to sightings of the man in the green van. But parental anxiety can hardly be discounted or dismissed. This is also the age of Megan's Law, Amber Alerts and official notifications that arrive from schools whenever a sexual predator is released from jail and moves into the neighborhood.

They're out there, these miserable sharks. I know that firsthand.

In fact, the recurring incidents of the man in the green van brought back an unsettling memory. In 1989, my family lived in Manursing Lodge, a four-story rental apartment building on Davis Avenue in Rye, just a short block away from Grapal Street and Palisades Road, where Wednesday night two 9-year-old boys were accosted by the curly-haired man and the blonde woman.

We loved living in Rye, but the building (now a renovated co-op) was a run-down place in those days, cursed by falling plaster, cockroaches and bad plumbing. People who lived there were either on their way up in the world or on their way down. In the back of the building, on the street below, was a large garage with a leaking roof where police occasionally chased away squatters.

My two boys were little then, just 4 and 1. One afternoon in late April of that year, the 4-year-old was happily playing outside with his friend, a 5-year-old girl who also lived in Manursing Lodge, when they were approached by a man in a car.

He motioned to my son and asked him if he wanted a ride. Luckily, some older girls saw what was happening and sounded an alarm. My son and the little girl ran from the would-be predator's grasp and the man drove off. I was at work at the time, and I only got the details of the incident later from my wife, who had been upstairs in our third-floor apartment and was alerted by the commotion. The incident was reported to Rye police by the mother of the 5-year-old girl.

On Friday, I dug deep into the newspaper's electronic archives and found the news item about it. It was a brief account, only four paragraphs, and curiously there was no mention of my son, only the little girl. Apparently her mother's vanity got in the way of the complete truth.

The headline said, "Police Think Man May Have Tried To Lure Girl Into Car."

I read the piece over. A Rye detective was quoted as saying, "We haven't had an incident like that happen in quite a while."

My son and the girls gave a pretty good description. The man was driving a silver, four-door sedan. There was fishing equipment in the back seat, an interesting detail since the marshy inlets of the Long Island Sound were a short distance away and always attracted roadside fishermen.

One thing startled me in the account. The man was described as white, between 20 and 30 years and had short, curly black hair.

My God, could it be that the man in the silver sedan is now the 40-year-old man in the green van? It's highly doubtful.

But I do know a couple of things: Child molesters cannot be cured of their evil obsessions, and that stranger who wanted to take my little boy for a ride on a long-ago day in April was never caught.

Source

I'm not certain that "Fascinating" is an appropriate term, but in a very dark way this is. The possibility that this may be some kind of spectral bieng accross the ages is very disturbing...

Indeed - the possibility also remains that (like the "skinheads are about to come and kick our heads in" rumour) it is more Chinese Whispers.

Curious...

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

Curious Ident said:
I'm not certain that "Fascinating" is an appropriate term, but in a very dark way this is. The possibility that this may be some kind of spectral bieng accross the ages is very disturbing...

FWIW, I think it is more likely to be projection of "The Shadow" as described by Jungian pyschology, possibly spawned by one or two real events, and then spiralling out of control as these things do in the minds of children and concerned parents. The description of the "perp" that the kids provide may also back that up: Black hair, unkempt, yellow teeth - essentially a tick-the-box list of all that society may deem different / unnaceptable / sinister. But then again, that description would have fitted Fred West so who knows...

:( I think it's just an ordinary paedophile being somewhat over romanticised by the newspaper.

I've heard of this one before - in the guise of "Evil Clown" sightings in the 1980's. The Evil Clowns seem similar to the Men In Black in that while they appear very threatening, there is no record of them actually harming anyone. The following is quoted from the page Coulrophobia & The Trickster
THE PENNYWISE GANG

Some strange clown activity was going on in the Spring of 1981, either in the often bizarre and confusing space-time parameters of the American city streets, or in the far more mysterious and less-well understood jungle of the American mind.

In early may, police precincts received numerous reports of clowns bothering children all over the Boston area. City-wide bulletins were issued by police seeking a man allegedly dressed in a clown suit from the waist up but otherwise naked, reportedly driving a black van in the Franklin park area of Roxbury on May 6. He was also repeatedly seen near an elementary school in Jamaica Plains (31, 32).

The day before, police received a report of two men in clown suits attempting to use candy to lure children into “an older model black van with ladders on the side, a broken headlight and no hubcaps” (32). One is tempted to speculate, quite logically, that these men likely were not professional clowns but had merely obtained costumes. After all, if they were real clowns, there would probably have been more of them, in a much smaller car.

These were apparently not the first incidents of their kind. The May 7 Boston Globe coverage states: “Various reports about one or two men wearing clown outfits and driving a black van have been called in to authorities throughout the Greater Boston area for the past few weeks” (32). Initially, this was taken very seriously. Memos warning of clown harassment flurried throughout the school district.

“It has been brought to the attention of the police department and the district office that adults dressed as clowns have been bothering children [traveling] to and from school… Please advise students that they must stay away from strangers, especially ones dressed as clowns.” (32)

Over the course of weeks, it appears that police received reports, besides those already mentioned from Brookline, Roxbury, and Jamaica Plain, from Canton, Somerville, East Boston, Charlestown, Cambridge, Everett, and Randolph (31, 33). Police seemed to have taken these reports fairly seriously for the first weeks- various legitimate clowns on their way to parties or to send “clown-a-grams” were stopped and questioned. But police investigate by following leads, and leads were not forthcoming in these cases. Upon examination, police in several districts were unable to obtain eye-witness testimony from any adults. In fact, most of the reports of clown mischief came from children aged 5 to 7.

“We’ve had rumors, but nothing substantiated,” said Cambridge Police Captain Alan Hughes, on May 8 or 9. “Some schools in Cambridge were in a panic two or three weeks ago. It’s died down now…A woman in Jefferson Park called to say she’d seen a clown and we sent a car up there. Then she said, “Maybe I was imagining it.” (34)

Officer O’Toole, a spokesman for the Boston Police, was quoted as saying:

“No adult or police officer has ever seen a clown. We’ve had calls saying there was a clown. We’ve had calls saying that there was a clown at a certain intersection and we happened to have police cars sitting there, and the officers saw nothing. We’ve had over 20 calls on 911. When the officers get there, no one tells them anything.”

Police were similarly stymied in Stephen King’s IT.

So what was really going on in Boston? Rumor, perpetuated into mass hysteria? If so, it was widespread, as social worker and anthropological researcher Loren Coleman discovered. At the same time that police were scratching their heads in Boston, fifty miles south in Providence, Rhode Island, social workers were getting reports of men dressed as clowns disturbing children. (31, 35)

Was this an organized hoax? A prank by a couple of guys in a van? If so, it was to grow more sinister, and it would not remain confined to the east coast. On May 22, reports of a clown with a yellow van wielding a knife came from six different elementary schools. Police received dozens of similar reports throughout the day, both in Kansas City, Kansas and in K.C. Missouri (31, 35).

Latanya Johnson, a 6th grader at Fairfax Elementary school in K.C. recalls:

“He was by the fence and ran down through the big yard when some of the kids ran over there. He ran toward a yellow van. He was dressed in a black shirt with the devil on the front. He had two candy canes down each side of his pants.” (31)

Reports of similar incidents cropped up in Omaha, Denver, Pittsburgh, and Arlington Heights (31, 35). These were not “repressed memory” images of clowns that were prompted out of students of a single day care, as in the Fells Acre scandal. These were spontaneous, self-reported encounters from children from all over the country, independent of each other and of news coverage (The Boston Globe did not even report on the clown scare until May 7, toward the end of the Boston wave). If it were hoaxsters, it graduated from the level of a simple prank to that of a well-oiled conspiracy, a rare thing. Despite all the complaints and reports, no one was ever apprehended, and no solid leads ever developed.

Loren Coleman sees other similarities between these clowns and a very different set of tricksters, the type of improbable and unverified characters which have continuously which have been continuously reported and existed in our lore throughout history. The kind of beings studied by Charles Fort and John Keel, elusive and perhaps only semi-material in their reality.

“Perhaps these caped entities and phantom clowns have something to tell us. Certainly the monk-like and checker-shirted characters mentioned so often in the occult and contactee literature have become almost too commonplace and familiar… the denizens of the netherworld apparently have had to dream up a new nightmare that would shock us.” (31)

My daughter had a frightening, mystifying experience. She didn't tell me about it until she was about twenty years old. Apparently, when she was around six years of age, she was standing on the driveway of our house when a little car swung into the street. We lived three houses from the corner and about ten houses further along, the street ended in a circular cul-de-sac.

Instead of driving straight up the street, the car stopped abruptly outside our house. It contained four men, youngish. All had long dark, unkempt hair. The passenger door flew open and one of the men leapt out. He headed towards my daughter, then crouched and held his hands out menacingly. My daughter believed he was going to run up and grab her. She was so shocked and frightened, she couldn't move. But before he reached her, the man abruptly turned and jumped back into the car, which then sped up the street.

My daughter knew she wouldn't be able to open the gate and make it into the house before the car returned. It couldn't go far because the street ended in the cul-de-sac. So instead of trying to get to the house, she instead hid behind a garden wall. She crouched down low, under shrubs, even though she knew snails and possibly spiders were there. She heard the car slow down as it reached our house again -- she said she was terrified. Then the car left. She heard it's tyres screech as it tore around the corner.

While all this was occurring, I was only about twenty metres away; inside the house, oblivious to the whole thing. It was such a safe little area; that's the reason we moved there.

When she told me, all I could think about was ' what if ...'. And I said half a dozen swift prayers of thanks. I can still hardly bear to think about 'what if ...'.

My daughter sometimes mentions it. It remains a mystery. She said there was something unnatural, bizarre about it and about the fact the men all looked very similar. She wonders why they did as they did and why she was lucky enough not to be dragged into the car. I think she has a feeling there was an element of the paranormal about it.

I know it all sounds straightforward; sounds as if four weirdos just decided to have a bit of fun frightening a child. But I'll have to trust her instincts regarded the 'strangeness' of it. She said it was as if something suddenly stopped the one who'd jumped at her, from actually grabbing her.

I'm just so deeply thankful she was spared. So thankful. Because that's how swift and unexpectedly someone could grab your child.

Again - that has got to be a parents worse nightmare and I can imagine that it was one hell of a shock when she told you.

Thia thread reminds me of an article I caught in an old magazine a couple of days ago. It was talking about Brits moving to foreign countries and pointed out that there was a lot of anti-brit feelings in some areas of France. One couple said that their child's teacher told them to 'be careful of gypsies'. Now does this refer to Ben Needham and the theory that he was taken by gypsies? I have heard of people telling a child that if they didn't behave they'd be taken by/given to the gypsies. I wonder how common this belief is?

And more news:

11/30/2004

Solving A Crime With Limited Clues

The search continues for another child predator. But the clues are limited. In Lincoln, Turner and Minnehaha Counties, investigators are looking for a white man between 30-and-40 years old with dark hair and a white mini van. He's wanted in two attempted abductions of children.

Whether it's a vandalism, a kidnapping or a murder, police say finding a suspect takes a lot of work and it can take time--days, months or even years.

"Investigations are a lot of legwork and a lot of luck," says Detective Bruce Bailey with the Sioux Falls Police Department.

Bailey says a single clue or tip can make a world of difference in an investigation, "We've had homicides where initially we didn't have much information at all, but over the course of weeks and months we were able to build some good suspects and got some good information from the public."

One of the best known cases in KELOLAND is the 1994 disappearance of Larisa Dumansky. It took police two years to find the man who kidnapped and killed her.

"It began with Larisa Dumansky and moved onto Piper Streyle and really at that time we had very little information to go with," he says.

After Streyle disappeared in '96, investigators got some tips and found out about a suspicious SUV. They checked into any Broncos that matched the description.

"We were able to come up with a name, and eventually that name led us in some different directions and eventually led us to Robert Leroy Anderson," says Bailey.

In 1999, almost five years after Dumansky's disappearance, prosecutors had enough evidence for a jury to convict Anderson of both murders.

"It's very frustrating for us when we don't have anything to go on. But it normally comes together eventually and it comes from a whole lot of different areas," says Bailey.

Anderson used temporary black paint on his SUV, which threw witnesses and investigators off. Minnehaha County Sheriff Mike Milstead says the Anderson case is a good reminder for the public to be open minded. In the case of the white van, Milstead says people usually have access to multiple cars, so we need to be on the lookout for anything suspicious.

------------------------
Anna Peters
© 2004 KELOLAND TV. All Rights Reserved.

Source

Picked up at Loren Coleman's blog which I assume will be tracking this one as we are.

I think every parent suffers a severe and lilteral tightening of the gut when they hear a child is missing. Every parent must whisper, mentally: 'there but for the grace of ...' The community's sympathy for the parents of a missing child is genuine, but all know that nothing, ever, could possibly help the frantic parents; nothing will ever be the same for those parents; it's a life sentence. They're compelled to suffer not only the loss, but the agonies of guilt, regret, the ' if only I'd kept a closer watch, if only I hadn't let them go to play that afternoon, if only ...'

Most parents warn their children not to speak to strangers, not to accept lifts, not to accept sweets. And when a child goes missing, there's a suspicion that despite all the warnings, the child must have been tricked by the abductor, must have gone willingly. Otherwise they would have called out for help -- wouldn't they? Because if the child had resisted, someone, surely, would have seen, would have heard?

Not necessarily. Many years ago, when I was around five years of age, my parents began impressing upon me that under no circumstances must I ever speak to people I didn't know and I must particularly avoid men in black cars. Little girls had gone missing in the area and a man in a black car was believed responsible. I understood the warnings and intended to heed them. Then one afternoon I stood across the road from my grandmother's house, having been told to go there after school. It was a small village with houses all the way down the road from the school to my grandparents' house. For this reason it was probably deemed safe to let me walk from school. It was raining and I was looking left and right as I'd been told, waiting for a chance to cross the road to my grandmother's. I was frightened of the road; I remember being anxious, standing there in the rain, unsure when I should cross.

Then from nowhere a man came up beside me. He was older than my father; younger than my grandfather. I'd never seen him before. But to a child, all adults -- especially when they're standing right next to you -- are authority figures. He asked if I wanted to cross the road; I nodded. I pointed across the road to my grandmother's house. The man took my hand; just the way parents, relatives and teachers do. A child is used to the adult taking the initiative. He pointed across to a black car,(although nearly all cars were black then) on the other side of the road, parked in the side road to the left of my grandmother's house. He asked if I'd like to go sit in his car, nice and dry, until the rain stopped. I continued pointing at my grandmother's house and told him I wanted to go to my grandma. It was as if he didn't hear me, no matter how many times I told him. Then with my hand trapped in his, and still speaking perfectly normally and reassuringly, he told me he'd take me to his car, just until the rain stopped.

I was wondering why he didn't take me to my grandmother's house; it was closer than his car. I didn't want to go to his car. I remembered very well that men in black cars were to be avoided; they took little girls and never brought them back.

But he was big; he was old; he had my hand and he wouldn't let it go. I tried to pull my hand free, but he just smiled at me and repeated I could sit in his car. Then he walked me across the road. I was politely tugging to get free, but it was impossible. I couldn't understand why he wouldn't listen to me. By this time we were across the road and he was leading me to his car. A sort of resignation descended on me. He was the adult. And then, seeming like an angel, my grandmother appeared at her door, just as the man had almost led me past the point of being able to see the front of her house. At least that's the memory I have. And of course in my memory, I cried out 'Grandma !' and all was well. But I don't remember any more at all. We left England shortly afterwards. Very soon after we came to Australia, I had to spend several weeks in hospital for unpleasant and painful treatment involving catheters being inserted inside me several times a day. I was told it was because I'd been bittten by mosquitos. It may be true, I don't know, although from an adult persepective, it sounds odd. I never questioned my parents; we just didn't have that sort of relationship. If nothing happened to me after the man took my hand, and if my grandmother actually did appear to rescue me, then I was very fortunate.

The point is, children do not necessarily call out for help or struggle. The man spoke in a calm voice throughout, although he knew full well he was leading me against my will. Child abductors work it all out first; they very often restrain themselves and behave normally to all outward appearances; they do not want to create a scene; will do anything to get their own way whilst evading discovery. And children, most of them, are taught -- by word or example -- to be polite, to not make a fuss. They are taught to obey adults. They are introduced to many adults during their formative years, with the emphasis always on politeness. Children observe their parents behaving politely even towards those whom the child knows the parent actually detests. So the message is always one of deferring to others, to agreeing with others. Mothers greet detested neighbours and relatives with false politeness; parents defer to ugly, nasty doctors and teachers for example; parents give assistance to neighbours whom they privately despise -- all with false smiles and courtesy. And the child observes this. Learns that one does not state one's mind; does not loudly object to the objectionable, does not refuse.

I told my children from a very early age that just because someone is tall or has white hair or is a neighbour or a teacher, does not mean they are automatically right, or to be trusted or obeyed. I told my children to object loudly, if they believed they were being imposed upon, or if they sensed a situation was not right, or felt frightening. I told them that when in any doubt, they should shout, kick and run. If wrong, apologies could always be made afterwards. And they nodded and said they understood. But they just didn't have the temperament to behave that way and ended up being unfailingly polite, regardless.

Some children scream when afraid; some children suck in their breath and stand frozen. I have a strong suspicion that child abductors can tell very swiftly how a potential child-victim is likely to react. Unfortunately, society is far less able to spot child-molestors before they can do harm.

This is an odd one as it has a MIB/WIB or phantom social worker feel:

'Bizarre' abduction attempt investigated

Broadcast News

December 15, 2004

Burnaby RCMP are investigating what they call a "bizarre" attempted child abduction that occurred a week ago but is just now becoming public.

They say it happened on the SkyTrain on December 9 when a couple gabbed a woman's two-year-old child and walked off the train as it stopped at Patterson station in Burnaby.

The mother ran after them, grabbed her daughter and got back on the train.

Police say the couple followed her, boarded the train again and apologized to her before getting off at the next station.

The RCMP are hoping any witnesses to the incident will come forward and call police or Crimestoppers.

-----------------------
© Broadcast News 2004

Source

Yesterday (20-12-2004), while driving to work, I heard a news report about a boy in Williston, FL, being abducted from the McDonald's. A man shoved the boy's mother to the ground, grabbed the kid, told the mother "You'll never see him alive again" and jumped into a car with the kid and drove off. Very scary, vey disturbing.

The news last night had an update. The boy is safe, and was safe. The man was the boy's father, who had custody rights. There had been a disagreement between the parents, and the father apparently lost his temper. A more or less happy ending.

What I find interesting is the subtext here. I heard the first report at 1 PM. The "abduction" had occurred at about 11 AM. That should give the police plenty of time to learn from the mother what had actually happened. My question is, where was the lag? Was it between the police and the news people? Or did the mother kind of drag her feet, deciding to let the father take some heat before explaining to authorities? Or did the flow of events prevent the mother from saying much at first?

I woul assume that the woman decided not to mention the husband in the hope that The Police would treat it with more urrgency. You see if he's with the father technicallyno crime has been comitted. She just wanted to drop her husband in it.

A sadly common tactic when I child is fueded over.

Curious...

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?
Was interested to hear on the radio a few days ago that Chitty Bang Bang was written by Ian Flemming.

alb said:
Was interested to hear on the radio a few days ago that Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was written by Ian Fleming.

Yes, but there's no Childsnatcher in the book. Jeremy and Jemima are kidnapped by normal villains, and the sentient car is the only fantasy element.

If you're only familiar with the Disney movie version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, check out the book - it's very different indeed. Different from Bond, too (which I find unreadable), though with the same delight in gadgets. Basically the names of the children and the nature of the car are all that was carried over for the movie version - the time is mid-20th century, there's no love interest (Jeremy and Jemima having a full set of parents), and the problem is straight-up international villains.

Thus endeth this digression...

While I appreciate may of the stories of abduction are true, I'm sure these sort of stories have been doing the rounds for generations. When I was that age there were plenty of local bogeymen, who were either:
a, sexual perverts who preyed on young boys and did unspeakable things to them, or;
b, slightly unhinged characters who seemed outwardly normal, if a bit twitchy, but if you said a particular word to him he would fly into a rage and kill you if he managed to get his hands on you.

Once some friends and I were walking home from the local swimming pool, when one of them alerted us all to the presence of The Wankerman. All I saw was an average (albeit a bit nerdy and trainspotter-ish) bloke drive past in his car. Apparently we'd had a lucky escape, because it appeared The Wankerman was a rampant sexual predator who abducted young boys and molested them. He was reknowned, everyone knew it was a fact! The fact that he'd jsut driven past in a car was cited as definite proof that he was in fact cruising for young boys. We spent the rest of the way homne diving for cover behind walls and bushes every time a car of a similar colour came past.

Also there was an old gent who used to get about the place. He was a bit shabby and didn't speak much sense, but he was by no means a mad old tramp or anything of the sort. In fact he seemed quite pleasant. This was Whistler, so called because if you whistled at him it would set off something in his brain, and he would go wild, chase you down and kill you. This was embellished with stories of how he could run at 90mph, or how he once chased a kid for 5 hours...

What gets me about the first account is that it involves a GREEN van.

Most vans are white, red or blue. Sometimes black.

Green would be very unusual and quickly found.

Or are green vans common in the US?

Homo Aves said:
Green would be very unusual and quickly found.

Or are green vans common in the US?

Not that I've noticed. And every time I hear a kidnapping story on the news, it seems it always involves an "unmarked white van"...

More worrying, Homo Aves, that you have thought about that... :lol:

I have not!

Its just that normally I like `very` distinctive vehicles. (`not` that I have ever owned one bar that Mad Max truck I could not afford to run. But my ideal vehicle would be completley unique)

And I got to thinking about something that was at the opposite end of the spectrum. What could be less memorable than a white van. Perhaps with removalble graphics for extra cammaflage?

I had one of them white vans, but I sold it to Homo Aves.

<sputters>

If I had a van, I would paint it a better colour.

(I gave serious thought to getting a caravanette as a daily vehicle, but I cant afford one.)

This seems like something similar:

Police: No ‘white van’ reports filed

By MARK SZAKONYI

February 25, 2005

Columbia police said on Thursday they had no reason to believe there is a connection between two reports — circulated all over town via e-mail — of a man stalking women in a white van.

The e-mail was sent Wednesday morning and warned of a man in a white van who followed one woman last Monday and another woman on Tuesday. Contrary to the claim in the e-mail, police said they had not received any reports of people being harassed by a man in a white van, Capt. Mike Martin said.

Martin emphasized that police are not dismissing the complaint. He also said the department has had more calls in the past week with people trying to confirm the legitimacy of the e-mail than to report a sighting of a white van. He said no official complaints had been filed.

“Could it have happened? Yeah,” Martin said. “But it’s not something we want people to be paranoid about.”

The e-mail said one of the two women who were reportedly stalked called the police from IB Nuts and Fruit Too on West Broadway after store clerk told her that a white van had followed customers to the store the day before.

None of the store’s employees remember a woman coming into the store to complain about a suspicious van, the store’s co-owner Sherri Hockett said.

“It is just kind of bizarre,” Hockett said. “There has been so much attention for one little e-mail.”

The e-mail originated from a conversation between two women who’d had a similar strange encounter with a white van, Martin said.

“I think the e-mail was done with good intentions and to warn their friends,” he said.

The originators have asked police not to release their identities to the media. In an e-mail to the Missourian, one of the women said she wanted nothing to do with any inquiry into a white van episode.

The closest thing police have received to a complaint is a report from a woman on Wednesday who said she had been harassed by a man in a white van occupied by several other men, Martin said.

“He tried to sell her magazines, but no solicitors’ permits have been given, so they were doing it illegally,” Martin said.

He said magazine solicitors are common around this time of year.

“We are not sure if this report has any connection with the others,” Martin said.

--------------
Police are asking the public to report any suspicious activities involving a white van. Anyone with information should call Columbia Police at 882-7203 or CrimeStoppers at 875-TIPS.

Source

I lived in a tiny village, but was still warned about people trying to pick me up :shock: , but it was, and still is, so out of the way and quiet, that one day, when I was about 14, I was shocked to find a lorry pulling up behind me, asking for directions to a local farm. I directed the man and went on to my friends, She was out, so I set off back, and the lorry was still there, I asked the driver, who was , thinking back, youngish, in his twenties, if anything was wrong. And he asked me to get in the cab. :shock: I was still brought up to be very polite , so I said I had to get home and ran, I hid behind the church and retraced my steps back through woodland, and crossed the road further down and out of sight, to get home via more fields, but I was shocked, and frightened, it was a quiet winter day and no-one was around. He wasn't particularly threatening, and I think there was more on his mind something like consensual sex, than murder, ( I looked more mature than I was ) but it was the first time I was ever frightened of a stranger. And after that I did become much more aware of wandering around, head in clouds, and not noticing things.

Really? I have got in with people to direct them (sometimes offerred it myself) and have never had any trouble. (leastways, never had any trouble that I couldnt deal with.)

Perhaps I just look the sort of person you dont mess with.

As for the article the phrase `much ado about nothing` springs to mind.

There was a time when I was a little worried (puzzled more like) and that was when a van spent the early hours outside my house with the enigine idling.

So I went outside and asked them what they were doing (with my machete tucked down my back..) and they politley told me that this was an easily found place to meet up with the boss. (news to me)

Since then I have noted several people do the same thing. turning off and not keeping me awake!

I'm reminded of this thread:
http://forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4567
perhaps all these abductors are merely tulpas, demons created by our societal subconcious

a friend of mine had a very real encounter with creepy-white-van-man a few months ago. she's 28 and lives alone in our large town/small city, but she's very small and looks about 16. Any way, walking home from work, she's about a block away when a scraggly guy drives up in a white van and asks for directions somewhere. She answers him, he says he doesn't know where that is. So now she's frustrated because she's trying to explain to some random guy on the street how to get around, and all she wants to do is go inside, when he proceeds to open the door and ask her to get in and navigate, but he's wearing NO PANTS! So she just says "gotta go!" and runs inside, phones the police, files a report, blah. A week later, the same guy drives up, and asks her how to get to the same place! She says she doesn't know, then runs inside. While he calls after her: "can i come in and use your phone?!"
luckily hasn't seen him since

i should note that while my friend is about the most innocent little thing on the planet, she has this weird ability to attract all manner of druggies, criminals, perverts and weirdos

CoffeeJedi said:
"I should note that while my friend is about the most innocent little thing on the planet, she has this weird ability to attract all manner of druggies, criminals, perverts and weirdos"

I have a friend who attracts that type. She calls it being flypaper for freaks.

edit: I deleted the laughing smilie because thinking further I realize it's not a laughing matter for your friend. That must be frightening.

Back