• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Claudette Souchon Incident (France; 1978)

More on the Claudette Souchon case at the link, varying slightly from the account on the video. I'm not sure that it's true. Are Lucky, Tommy, and Spot, common names for animals in the Camargue? This magazine was published in August 79, about 18 months after the incident allegedly took place. So might be the source. I can find no trace of the incident using the name and Rodez, or disparition. Which is odd if it were true.

http://files.afu.se/Downloads/Magaz...ond Reality magazine/Beyond Reality No 38.pdf

According to this thread over at ATS:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread346770/pg1

... an article about the Souchon incident appeared in the March 1978 issue of Fortean Times, authored by a Paul Pinn. It's also claimed the story was published sometime in 1978 in the Sunday Express.

Edit to Add:

According to this cached / undated copy of a defunct chocolates-and-mysteries site:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...6.myddns.me/9.html+&cd=29&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

... the Sunday Express article was also published in March 1978 and included a statement by the police commissioner for the region - one Jean Dinard.

Last edited:
According to this thread over at ATS:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread346770/pg1

... an article about the Souchon incident appeared in the March 1978 issue of Fortean Times, authored by a Paul Pinn. It's also claimed the story was published sometime in 1978 in the Sunday Express.

Edit to Add:

According to this cached / undated copy of a defunct chocolates-and-mysteries site:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...6.myddns.me/9.html+&cd=29&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

... the Sunday Express article was also published in March 1978 and included a statement by the police commissioner for the region - one Jean Dinard.

I'm surprised to find that there was a Sunday Express article on the 12th March titled Why she can't talk about the horror of the marsh. I asked a friend of mine in Melbourne to check this for me, who realised as he was looking that the article's author Derek Ward was probably an ex-colleague of his.

The Optical Character Recognition transcript of the article, which is behind a paywall, is largely gibberish but it did find the name 'Glaudette Souchon', the names of the animals, and the location.

Until seeing the title of the Sunday Express item and some tangential mentions in what little I could find, I didn't realize Ms. Souchon's disappearance had occurred in a notably marshy area. Generally speaking, marshland isn't the sort of terrain one would wisely choose for a multi-day solo horseback excursion.

If one had fallen into water (even shallow water) and become soaked it could explain why one might remove all clothing and start a fire.

NOTE: None of the accounts I've found specify where her horses and clothing were found. More specifically ...

The Beyond Reality article claims her clothing was discovered "100 miles away from the farm", but then states it wasn't until the following day that an informant telephoned the police to report a strange girl near Rodez (circa 100 miles away from her starting point). I question this because ...

The description given by the poster over at ATS clearly states her horses and clothing were discovered before the Rodez informant's report that led to her being found there.

Another point of inconsistency among accounts ...

The Beyond Reality article claims Ms. Souchon left home(?) with the intention of returning within 2 hours to meet friends and go shopping.

The ATS account states she'd left on a 2 day trip.

If she'd been expected to be gone only 2 hours, why was she not reported missing until the third day?

This is the second point that makes me suspect the Beyond Reality article is not reliable.

One more thing ...

Does anyone else find it odd that Ms. Souchon headed out with two horses?

Until seeing the title of the Sunday Express item and some tangential mentions in what little I could find, I didn't realize Ms. Souchon's disappearance had occurred in a notably marshy area. Generally speaking, marshland isn't the sort of terrain one would wisely choose for a multi-day solo horseback excursion.

If one had fallen into water (even shallow water) and become soaked it could explain why one might remove all clothing and start a fire.

NOTE: None of the accounts I've found specify where her horses and clothing were found. More specifically ...

The Beyond Reality article claims her clothing was discovered "100 miles away from the farm", but then states it wasn't until the following day that an informant telephoned the police to report a strange girl near Rodez (circa 100 miles away from her starting point). I question this because ...

The description given by the poster over at ATS clearly states her horses and clothing were discovered before the Rodez informant's report that led to her being found there.

It's the Camargue though, it's synonymous with horses.

Very true about falling in water, but if as they say it was 100 miles away from her home then the ground would probably be different. Equally it's Europe so there'll be water to fall in anywhere. Another problem, why was an area 100 miles away from her home included in the search area by the third day? If it wasn't just a chance discovery.

The Beyond Reality article claims Ms. Souchon left home(?) with the intention of returning within 2 hours to meet friends and go shopping.

Yeah that's a notable discrepancy, it'd be interesting to see which of these the Express and FT article supports. My friend found what was claimed to be a transcript of the Express article, this is his message.

Thismme text below appears to be the transcription of the 1978 article!

Poster: Katzenfabrik3y

Why she can't talk about the horror on the marsh

from DEREK WARD, Paris

It was just after daybreak when attractive Claudette Souchon, 31, rode out from her farm deep in the heart of the wild Camargue marshes in southern France.

Riding her favourite horse Lucky and leading a spare horse, Tommy, while her dog Spot trotted alongside, she was off on a two-day tour of her land.

It was the beginning of a bizarre mystery which is baffling police.

For Claudette simply disappeared somewhere in the area of about 400 square miles which is sparsely populated and mainly famous for its wild horses.

Police reckon that somebody lost in the lonely marshes could wander around for days without meeting another person.

When she had not arrived back by the morning of the third day her worried mother asked neighbouring farmers to organise a search.

A party of 30 mounted men rode out to try and pick up her trail. Their first discovery came a day later. Beside a copse, several miles to the north of Claudette's farm, they found her horse Lucky. It was dead and its body had been savagely ripped open.

No sign

The next day the other horse, Tommy, was found a few miles further on. It bore no injuries yet was very frightened and hardly able to walk.

But there was no sign of Claudette. Was she still alive. Or had whoever killed the horse also killed her and buried her body?

The police were called in and patrol cars started combing the lonely trails of the area. But it was not until the fifth day after Claudette had been due back at the ranch that they came across another strange clue.

In a burned out glade they found some of Claudette's clothing ... 100 miles away from her farm.

The next day passed without anything being sighted. But on the afternoon of the seventh day a woman telephoned the police to say that she had seen a strange girl near Rodez.

It was Claudette. The police found her just sitting on the ground, covered in mud, not moving, unable to speak and numb with shock. Her dog Spot was lying exhaused beside her. At first the police theory was that she had been attacked and raped.

But after examination at hospital, doctors declared that there were no signs that she had been physically assaulted. What could have happened to turn a beautiful and sensible young woman into a near zombie?

The police chief for the area, Commissioner Jean Dinard, said: "We have no idea what happened to her or her horse Lucky or what frightened the other horse.

"But something mysterious went on out there. The wounds on the dead horse were horrific. But it was not attacked by an animal. For there are no claw or bite marks.

"And we do not have an explanation for the burned out glade where we found some of her clothing. "She has suffered some evil and brutal shock. She was confronted with something outside her experience." This weekend Claudette is sitting in a private ward at the hospital and has still not uttered one word.

I kept the original formatting but corrected a couple of typos.

One more thing ...

I find it more odd that they were named Lucky and Tommy. Don't people usually take a spare horse though if they're going away for a while?

Perhaps they were called Chanceuse and Tache? :)

... Very true about falling in water, but if as they say it was 100 miles away from her home then the ground would probably be different. Equally it's Europe so there'll be water to fall in anywhere. Another problem, why was an area 100 miles away from her home included in the search area by the third day? If it wasn't just a chance discovery. ...

That's exactly the point to which I was alluding ... The timeline suddenly seems to shift to discovery of clothing circa 100 miles from her home - the approximate distance from her home "in the heart of the Camargue" to Rodez - two days before an informant in Rodez reported seeing a strange girl in the area.

This was 1978 in relatively rural southern France. Her horses had both been found an unspecified number of miles north of her home. Why was anyone searching for her or traces of her 100 miles to the northwest? Had some sort of wide-area alert been issued that would have notified people in the Rodez area to "be on the look-out for ..."?

Unless there's an explanation for searches underway in the Rodez area, I still have a hard time believing the clothing / burnt glade discovery was that far away from the known search area.

Of course, these seemingly conflicting points may be the result of facts or investigative developments that weren't included in the popular accounts of the incident (e.g., something that made authorities start looking around Rodez before the informant reported the sighting).

One more thing ...

Not so much. I thought that implied she was planning on going a couple of days and maybe planned to ride one horse there and one back or alternate so as not to knacker them out? Like they did in the past. A bit like stagecoaches changed horses at different stages...

I dunno anything about the Camargue but near here is one of the last areas of unspoiled lowland heath - mainly covered in silver birches - and certain parts of it are marshy and could be treacherous. But locals know where is safe and where isn’t and throughout there are paths and trackways you could easily, if so inclined, ride through. And the paths are often old ones so by default across the solid ground.

If she was missing around a week that would be covering only 14 miles ish a day on average most of which before she lost horse 2 which would not be far fetched or pushing it.

Presumably they were heading the right way if they had an experienced tracker?

Last edited:
If she was missing around a week that would be covering only 14 miles ish a day on average most of which before she lost horse 2 which would not be far fetched or pushing it.

Presumably they were heading the right way if they had an experienced tracker?

It does say they tried to pick up her trail, and that then they found the horses one after the other so maybe that's the case. Equally it may just be the way the Express chose to tell the story. What would probably have happened would be a series of reports in the local French papers. They would be the things to find as if they exist they'd report the events sequentially over the course of the search.

I've contacted a guy I know in France about this, hopefully there'll be an archive available. I'm pretty clueless outside Australian sources.

Edited to add, that this chap was vaguely familiar with the story. Suggesting it possibly is based on more than just a single dubious newspaper article.

Last edited:
I wonder if she’s talked about it since?

I once taught a kid who seemed very ordinary in every way and made it my practice not to read previous teachers’ notes til I knew the child myself and had made my own opinions about them.

So I taught this lad for months before I read his records. Turned out he’d been an elective mute for a very long time but had started speaking again a year or two before he was in my class. And I’d never have guessed if I hadn’t seen it in his notes. He presented as Mr Average. So people who stop talking can start again...

"I wonder if she’s talked about it since? "

If this is the correct obituary (the age looks about right), then Mlle Souchon died in December 2016 and appears to have taken the secret of what happened with her.

https://www.libramemoria.com/defunts/souchon-claudette/b04ba9b1373c416195362fea8c6a5431

According to the article she was 31 in 1978, so born in 1947 , this one would be born in 1944 to be 72 in 2016. But that's getting the age the Express, so not exactly a bomb proof source. What does make me doubt is that the family members may be children, if so then Souchon is likely to be a married name.

According to the article she was 31 in 1978, so born in 1947 , this one would be born in 1944 to be 72 in 2016. But that's getting the age the Express, so not exactly a bomb proof source. What does make me doubt is that the family members may be children, if so then Souchon is likely to be a married name.

Ah right, sorry if I misunderstood. I know the article dated from March 1978, but thought it referred to an incident from a year or so previously.

Ah right, sorry if I misunderstood. I know the article dated from March 1978, but thought it referred to an incident from a year or so previously.

The age could be wrong in the paper, and looking again it says Mademoiselle Souchon, but Amions is a four hour drive from Rodez, and three and a half from the Camargue.

I think I might have found Claudette Souchon, I've come across someone of exactly the right age, in a region 50 odd miles to the NNW of the Camargue (Arles), and about 80 miles east of Rodez. Rodez is in fact 100 miles NW of the Camargue. She went to both primary and secondary school at this place, and someone by the same name is still, or was very recently, associated with the place. And I hope it's her because she seems to doing quite nicely. Her schooling is recorded in the primary between 1955 and 1959, secondary from 1959 to 1964, corresponding with someone born in 1947 having started aged 8, and left at 17.

The Express seems to be the first source and it says she was taking a two day tour of her property, big farm then. Is that possible in Southern France? The magazine article says she went out only for the morning, but then why take two horses? Either way are any of these details likely to be accurate or relevant? We have no clear evidence what happened to the dead horse or what relationship it may have to the rest of the events. By the time they got into the paper the description of the injuries are at least third hand, two pairs of which were probably attached to journalists.

If her clothes were identified and actually found in a glade that was literally burnt out they must have been put there after the fire. I think it's more likely, if there's any truth in this part at all, they were found near a fire site. As Enolagaia says that sounds like she was drying them by the fire, but then she'd have been unlikely to leave them unless they caught fire accidentally. But then without the idea of a naked vulnerable woman I doubt a rag like the Express would have been interested. I think we might consider taking this detail with a pinch of salt. There's also the horrible idea that her clothes were taken from her, if this is the case we're treating something horrific as something intriguing, albeit not deliberately.

Dinard is given as the Police Chief for the area, but which area? The Camargue, the area where I've found the name, and Rodez are all in different administrative regions. It's doubtlessly possible to spend days wandering lost on the Camargue, but it's impossible to move between any of the three areas above without crossing multiple roads, probably hundreds. Yes there are probably more roads there now than 1978 but go to Google maps and move the little man between Arles and Rodez and watch everything turn blue. That she could have stayed lost covering such a long distance seems impossible. Even allowing for exacerbating factors such as exhaustion, delirium, panic, disorientation etc.

The article rules out assault, thankfully, but it's hardly quality journalism, and a lack of evidence of assault doesn't rule out abduction. That'd be the most obvious explanation if she was found anything like the distance stated from her starting point. But then there's the dog, which undermines the likelihood.

Either way this is not mysterious. The newspaper the article appeared in was and still is a sordid little rag. That it starts off with attractive Claudette Sochon, 31, tells you what sort of article you're reading. Salacious details like horrifically injured horses, naked women, and melodramatic French police officers are given clearly, but we're a bit light on facts such locations, timeline, or a source.

There are two obvious options; she got lost and was found suffering from exposure, or was abducted and was found suffering from worse. If she was just lost she can't have got anything like as far as was reported. That there was never a widely circulated resolution to this is probably just because any further coverage was in French and the story was never carried on by the Express' Paris correspondent.

The article rules out assault, thankfully, but it's hardly quality journalism, and a lack of evidence of assault doesn't rule out abduction.
I could be doing the police in this case a disservice but the examination, especially in the 70s may have gone something like:-

Plod: Come on luv were you raped or not?

CS: *too traumatised to speak*

Plod: I'll take that as a no then.

I could be doing the police in this case a disservice but the examination, especially in the 70s may have gone something like:-

Plod: Come on luv were you raped or not?

CS: *too traumatised to speak*

Plod: I'll take that as a no then.

Equally I could be doing the Express a disservice, but they could well have sanitised that detail for their readers so it didn't spoil the 'mystery' element of what's in all possibility a brutal tragedy.

Back