• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Coffee Thread

Coffee is good for you!

We sure love our coffee.

Even during lockdown lots of us managed to keep buying our daily flat white or Americano. So all of us should be happy to hear those drinks may actually have helped to keep us healthy. The latest assessments of the health effects of coffee and caffeine, its main active ingredient, are reassuring indeed. Their consumption has been linked to a reduced risk of all kinds of ailments, including Parkinson’s disease, heart disease, type-2 diabetes, gallstones, depression, suicide, cirrhosis, liver cancer, melanoma and prostate cancer.

In fact, in numerous studies around the world, consuming enough coffee to provide 400mg of caffeine a day has been associated with reduced death rates. That’s about four or five cups of regular coffee. In takeway terms, an espresso shot contains 60-65mg of caffeine, and a latte, cappuccino or flat white usually contains at least one or two shots. (At Starbucks, you’ll get 150mg of caffeine from a Grande cappuccino and 225mg from a Venti cappuccino.) ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...-turns-out-to-boost-your-health-too-1.4594807

That's good to know after all those studies that said it had no benefits whatsoever. I'm going with this bunch of scientists' expertise.

Mind you, I only have a couple of mugs a day, though I do like it strong, so it might not have any appreciable effect.

Saw an advert on the train today - 'It has taken 135 years to put coffee in a bag. Sorry for the wait' or some-such drivvle. In the 70's and 80's my Mum used to put several industrial-strength retail coffee bags into a hot water urn for social meetings.
I did try one of those bags in an ordinary mug - bit strong (the spoon stayed upright).

Every time I see this thread, I think of this...

ivWuzsi.gif

Well,

Claims for coffee that it cures all medical problems maybe true or not true, but if you buy coffee from someplace daily like Starbucks can be expensive.

A daily cup of Starbucks Coffee can cost 3 to 5 U.S. dollars, or you will spend about two thousand dollars a year.

According to internet articles that cup of coffee is only costing Starbucks about 30 cents.

Well,

Claims for coffee that it cures all medical problems maybe true or not true, but if you buy coffee from someplace daily like Starbucks can be expensive.

A daily cup of Starbucks Coffee can cost 3 to 5 U.S. dollars, or you will spend about two thousand dollars a year.

According to internet articles that cup of coffee is only costing Starbucks about 30 cents.

Starbucks don't serve real coffee! Costa and Insomnia serve good coffee.

Starbucks don't serve real coffee! Costa and Insomnia serve good coffee.

I think Costa coffee is pretty bad, I haven't had a coffee "out" in years (drink way too much at home as it is) but would only do so at independent or "hipster" type places when I did.

I think Costa coffee is pretty bad, I haven't had a coffee "out" in years (drink way too much at home as it is) but would only do so at independent or "hipster" type places when I did.

Maybe it's a taste question? I'll frequent independent coffee shops as well but I do like Costa's. At home I tend to drink Lavazza.

I find Starbucks coffee to be bitter and harsh, and almost never buy any. I order online Equal Exchange coffee beans and grind at home. I do not roast my beans, which makes me a rank amateur in some circles.

Coffee's health effects - good and bad: years ago, I knew a few LDS members (Mormons) who had been taught that coffee, tea, and other beverages which contain caffeine were bad for your health because the caffeine causes arthritis and other bone diseases. They had been taught that their church leaders had known that caffeine was bad for you, and that was the real reason the church forbade it, not because of pesky tax problems (taxes on the coffee and tea) with the US government.

I buy my coffee beans when woolies have it on sale at 50% off - then I buy two kilo's. At a daily consumption rate of 42 g (yeah, I know, anal or what), 1 kilo lasts me almost a lunar month. At $14 a kilo (50% off) I'm quite content...and at 50c a day for three shots, c'est bon.

Vittoria is my preference because it tastes salty and bitter. The reason that coffee tastes bitter is because of the alkaloids within which gives us the lift that we so desire.

I'd be a bit suss of a black coffee that doesn't taste bitter.

I can't afford coffee out any more. I do have a K-cup machine, which is more expensive than brewing a pot, but cheaper than a to-go cup, and just right for two of us.

We also enjoy a cheap semi- automatic espresso/cappuccino machine with Lavazza coffee.

A Swiss company has announced the introduction of a new coffee making format using completely trash-free disposable balls of coffee enclosed in compostable shells.
Swiss retailer rolls out ‘coffee balls’ to replace capsules

Swiss retailer Migros said Tuesday that it is launching a coffeemaking system designed to replace capsules that produce thousands of tons of waste ...

The cooperative said its spherical capsules — described as “coffee balls” — are fully compostable, unlike the plastic and aluminum containers popularized by its rival Nestle ...

Migros said its coffee balls are encased in a thin, flavorless, seaweed-based cover that can be discarded with the spent coffee ...

The company said the CoffeeB system, which also features a special coffeemaker, will be rolled out first in Switzerland and France this year, followed by Germany in 2023.
SOURCE: https://apnews.com/article/switzerland-climate-and-environment-83cc3ee9959e48301b98d68d15693b64

See Also:
https://phys.org/news/2022-09-compostable-coffee-balls-nespresso.html

My wife who is so cheap she can squeeze the eagle of of a quarter, ordered herself a fancy coffee latte something at MacDonalds and caught me by surprise.

Actually MacDonalds coffees are surprisingly good for a fast food place.
Yes, MacDonald's has great coffee, and equally good is Burger King coffee, surprisingly.
My favorite to use in our coffee machine at home is Eight O'Clock coffee, a very old company that makes coffee that has a tang to it.
Maxwell House, Chock Full O' Nuts, Dunkin', are all good. Starbucks coffee is like a laxative, it has a real tang.
Anyone else love Eight O'Clock coffee? It's a favorite used by some of the diners.

My wife who is so cheap she can squeeze the eagle of of a quarter, ordered herself a fancy coffee latte something at MacDonalds and caught me by surprise.

Actually MacDonalds coffees are surprisingly good for a fast food place.
Same in the UK, for the price, it's as good as anything out there.

I think Starbucks is the worst.

It tastes to me like someone stirred in liquid Barbecue smoke or coffee that was burnt on the stove.

Is it the “ thing to do “ to drink $5.00 cups of coffee from Starbucks ?

My wife recently found “ Dunkin Donuts “ coffee as being good.

Basically we are a Folgers Coffee family.

I think Starbucks is the worst.

It tastes to me like someone stirred in liquid Barbecue smoke or coffee that was burnt on the stove.

Is it the “ thing to do “ to drink $5.00 cups of coffee from Starbucks ?

My wife recently found “ Dunkin Donuts “ coffee as being good.

Basically we are a Folgers Coffee family.
Yes, I forgot Folger's, it's great. Love Dunkin' Donuts coffee, Starbucks is so strong, I think they add something to it, or cook it longer.
I never pay $5 for coffee, I almost always make it myself.
And when Eight O' Clock coffee is on sale, I buy a dozen packages so I have it.

Same in the UK, for the price, it's as good as anything out there.
I find McDonald’s coffee too bitter. I drink (black) Americano or flat white and find the Costa next to the office delivers consistency. Their flat white is much larger than the local completion, and if you go into some places they have flat white on the menu but when you ask for it Extra Hot, they point to the fact that it comes out of a machine and they can do Jack Shit to improve it.

I love coffee. I need it or I feel unwell after a while. I drink it black.

I also find Mcdonalds coffee not that great. I like Costa and Nero but Starbucks is better than nothing. I used them more pre-covid but I don't go out so much and I am a bit skint at the moment so I give it a miss.

At home I buy Aldi instant coffee as it is not bad and is cheaper than most other shops. Sometimes they do tiny jars of flavoured coffee - unfortunately they haven't done them for a while. I prefer the flavoured instant coffee (hazlenut or caramel for example) over the special syrups you can buy because I find the syrup makes it far too sweet for me to drink....

This newly published research is the latest survey study to indicate coffee consumption is good for you.
Drinking 3 cups of coffee a day is linked to a longer lifespan, according to a huge new study

Drinking two to three cups of coffee a day may be linked to living longer, according to a new study.

Researchers analyzed data from 450,000 people in the UK Biobank, who were observed for about 12.5 years.

They found ground coffee drinkers were 27% less likely to die early compared to non-coffee drinkers. Instant and decaf drinkers had a 11% and 14% lower likelihood of early death, respectively.

People who drank two to three cups of coffee — no matter the type — were also less likely to develop cardiovascular disease. People who drank caffeinated coffee had a slightly lower likelihood of developing heart arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats).

"Our findings indicate that drinking modest amounts of coffee of all types should not be discouraged but can be enjoyed as a heart healthy behaviour," the study's lead author, Peter Kistler, of the Baker Heart and Diabetes Research Institute in Australia, said in a release. ...

The new study, published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, builds on existing research into coffee's effect on longevity. A paper published in The Journal of Nutrition last year found that Italians who drank three to four cups of espresso daily had lower risks of all-cause mortality over an eight year period compared to coffee abstainers. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.insider.com/coffee-good-for-you-3-cups-day-longer-lifespan-study-2022-9

Here are the bibliographic details and abstract from the latest study's published report. The full report is accessible at the link below.

David Chieng, Rodrigo Canovas, Louise Segan, Hariharan Sugumar, Aleksandr Voskoboinik, Sandeep Prabhu, Liang Han Ling, Geoffrey Lee, Joseph B Morton, David M Kaye, Jonathan M Kalman, Peter M Kistler,
The impact of coffee subtypes on incident cardiovascular disease, arrhythmias, and mortality: long-term outcomes from the UK Biobank
European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, 2022; zwac189
https://doi.org/10.1093/eurjpc/zwac189

Abstract

Aims
Epidemiological studies report the beneficial effects of habitual coffee consumption on incident arrhythmia, cardiovascular disease (CVD), and mortality. However, the impact of different coffee preparations on cardiovascular outcomes and survival is largely unknown. The aim of this study was to evaluate associations between coffee subtypes on incident outcomes, utilizing the UK Biobank.

Methods and results
Coffee subtypes were defined as decaffeinated, ground, and instant, then divided into 0, <1, 1, 2–3, 4–5, and >5 cups/day, and compared with non-drinkers. Cardiovascular disease included coronary heart disease, cardiac failure, and ischaemic stroke. Cox regression modelling with hazard ratios (HRs) assessed associations with incident arrhythmia, CVD, and mortality. Outcomes were determined through ICD codes and death records. A total of 449 563 participants (median 58 years, 55.3% females) were followed over 12.5 ± 0.7 years. Ground and instant coffee consumption was associated with a significant reduction in arrhythmia at 1–5 cups/day but not for decaffeinated coffee. The lowest risk was 4–5 cups/day for ground coffee [HR 0.83, confidence interval (CI) 0.76–0.91, P < 0.0001] and 2–3 cups/day for instant coffee (HR 0.88, CI 0.85–0.92, P < 0.0001). All coffee subtypes were associated with a reduction in incident CVD (the lowest risk was 2–3 cups/day for decaffeinated, P = 0.0093; ground, P < 0.0001; and instant coffee, P < 0.0001) vs. non-drinkers. All-cause mortality was significantly reduced for all coffee subtypes, with the greatest risk reduction seen with 2–3 cups/day for decaffeinated (HR 0.86, CI 0.81–0.91, P < 0.0001); ground (HR 0.73, CI 0.69–0.78, P < 0.0001); and instant coffee (HR 0.89, CI 0.86–0.93, P < 0.0001).

Conclusion
Decaffeinated, ground, and instant coffee, particularly at 2–3 cups/day, were associated with significant reductions in incident CVD and mortality. Ground and instant but not decaffeinated coffee was associated with reduced arrhythmia.

SOURCE / FULL REPORT: https://academic.oup.com/eurjpc/advance-article/doi/10.1093/eurjpc/zwac189/6704995

Back