• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Coffee Thread

Here are the bibliographic details and abstract from the latest study's published report. The full report is accessible at the link below.

David Chieng, Rodrigo Canovas, Louise Segan, Hariharan Sugumar, Aleksandr Voskoboinik, Sandeep Prabhu, Liang Han Ling, Geoffrey Lee, Joseph B Morton, David M Kaye, Jonathan M Kalman, Peter M Kistler,
The impact of coffee subtypes on incident cardiovascular disease, arrhythmias, and mortality: long-term outcomes from the UK Biobank
European Journal of Preventive Cardiology, 2022; zwac189
https://doi.org/10.1093/eurjpc/zwac189

Abstract

Aims
Epidemiological studies report the beneficial effects of habitual coffee consumption on incident arrhythmia, cardiovascular disease (CVD), and mortality. However, the impact of different coffee preparations on cardiovascular outcomes and survival is largely unknown. The aim of this study was to evaluate associations between coffee subtypes on incident outcomes, utilizing the UK Biobank.

Methods and results
Coffee subtypes were defined as decaffeinated, ground, and instant, then divided into 0, <1, 1, 2–3, 4–5, and >5 cups/day, and compared with non-drinkers. Cardiovascular disease included coronary heart disease, cardiac failure, and ischaemic stroke. Cox regression modelling with hazard ratios (HRs) assessed associations with incident arrhythmia, CVD, and mortality. Outcomes were determined through ICD codes and death records. A total of 449 563 participants (median 58 years, 55.3% females) were followed over 12.5 ± 0.7 years. Ground and instant coffee consumption was associated with a significant reduction in arrhythmia at 1–5 cups/day but not for decaffeinated coffee. The lowest risk was 4–5 cups/day for ground coffee [HR 0.83, confidence interval (CI) 0.76–0.91, P < 0.0001] and 2–3 cups/day for instant coffee (HR 0.88, CI 0.85–0.92, P < 0.0001). All coffee subtypes were associated with a reduction in incident CVD (the lowest risk was 2–3 cups/day for decaffeinated, P = 0.0093; ground, P < 0.0001; and instant coffee, P < 0.0001) vs. non-drinkers. All-cause mortality was significantly reduced for all coffee subtypes, with the greatest risk reduction seen with 2–3 cups/day for decaffeinated (HR 0.86, CI 0.81–0.91, P < 0.0001); ground (HR 0.73, CI 0.69–0.78, P < 0.0001); and instant coffee (HR 0.89, CI 0.86–0.93, P < 0.0001).

Conclusion
Decaffeinated, ground, and instant coffee, particularly at 2–3 cups/day, were associated with significant reductions in incident CVD and mortality. Ground and instant but not decaffeinated coffee was associated with reduced arrhythmia.

SOURCE / FULL REPORT: https://academic.oup.com/eurjpc/advance-article/doi/10.1093/eurjpc/zwac189/6704995
I wonder if the effect is due to the stimulant keeping or inducing you to be more active, which in turn is better for health, rather than the direct result of an active ingredient? (one pot of coffee a day man :) )

A new coffee recipe, known as sex coffee, promises to boost your libido

It’s time to pimp your regular morning pick-me-up. Because mixing black coffee with raw cacao powder, coconut milk, honey, cinnamon, and maca powder will give you a potion that promises to boost your libido. Known as “sex coffee,” it’s a trendy beverage that’s causing a buzz, even if it draws on some not-so-new beliefs.

All sources describe roughly the same way of proceeding: start with a cup of very hot black coffee and mix in a spoon of raw cacao powder, two tablespoons of coconut milk, a tablespoon of honey, half a teaspoon of cinnamon, and a teaspoon of maca powder.

...one new arrival here is maca powder. Native to South America, this superfood is composed of a cocktail of trace elements and minerals, such as zinc, selenium, vitamin B9, iodine and potassium. In its natural state, it is a plant of the Brassica family that grows only in the Peruvian Andes, at an altitude of more than 3,500 meters.

The Peruvians have long claimed that it has aphrodisiac virtues, notably its capacity to boost testosterone levels.

https://www.lifestyleasia.com/hk/li...r-morning-coffee-a-sex-twist-with-sex-coffee/

maximus otter

It’s time to pimp your regular morning pick-me-up. Because mixing black coffee with raw cacao powder, coconut milk, honey, cinnamon, and maca powder will give you a potion that promises to boost your libido. Known as “sex coffee,” it’s a trendy beverage that’s causing a buzz, even if it draws on some not-so-new beliefs.

All sources describe roughly the same way of proceeding: start with a cup of very hot black coffee and mix in a spoon of raw cacao powder, two tablespoons of coconut milk, a tablespoon of honey, half a teaspoon of cinnamon, and a teaspoon of maca powder.

...one new arrival here is maca powder. Native to South America, this superfood is composed of a cocktail of trace elements and minerals, such as zinc, selenium, vitamin B9, iodine and potassium. In its natural state, it is a plant of the Brassica family that grows only in the Peruvian Andes, at an altitude of more than 3,500 meters.

The Peruvians have long claimed that it has aphrodisiac virtues, notably its capacity to boost testosterone levels.

https://www.lifestyleasia.com/hk/li...r-morning-coffee-a-sex-twist-with-sex-coffee/

maximus otter
I purchased (No 4) Coffee Beans by mistake some weeks ago, didn't realise until I opened the packet, which made me consider getting a grinder - then I thought to myself, no, what I'll do is grind them down myself.
So, I used my old Kitchen food processor to grind them down a bit first, then tried further grinding by using my pestle-and-mortar. Blimey, it took bloomin ages to get those grounds fine enough to use, so what I'm doing is grinding down the same amount each day as I am consuming until I finish it up. Won't be making that mistake in a hurry again!

maximus otter
I have been daily ingesting most of these ingredients for years. (no sweets and no maca powder) Its delicious. I haven't noticed any difference in my libido - but maybe I have just adjusted to a new normal :)

My suspicions have been proven correct: Those corrupt twatbadgers at Starbucks are peddling vaguely coffee-flavoured soft drinks, not the real thing:

“We compared caffeine content for espresso, cappuccino and filter coffee options from high street chains including Costa, Pret and Starbucks.

Our research revealed that some coffee chains may leave you feeling shortchanged, while others could give you an unexpectedly strong coffee buzz.

A cappuccino from Costa contains more than four and a half times as much caffeine as one from rival chain Starbucks, while a single espresso at Pret has six times as much caffeine as one at Starbucks.”

https://www.which.co.uk/news/articl...s-vary-significantly-which-finds-ay7cA4G1zh1S

maximus otter

Aaargh! Coffee is also at risk from fungi, this would be a real Apocalypse.

Coffee could disappear from Irish shelves by 2050 due to climate change, a leading charity has warned.

Fairtrade Ireland said coffee beans, cocoa and other foods grown in hotter climates could become rare and expensive treats within the next 30 years due to extreme weather events.

Coffee bean farmers are already experiencing serious challenges and it is estimated that by 2050, up to half of the world’s land currently used to farm coffee may be unusable due to floods, droughts and increased temperatures.

Fairtrade Ireland executive director Peter Gaynor said: "We could be looking at the end of the much-loved cup of coffee. Farmers who grow coffee beans are experiencing serious challenges due to many extreme weather events, such as in Kenya, East Africa, which is right now experiencing its worst drought on-record. A worrying 93% of the Fairtrade coffee farmers in Kenya surveyed are already experiencing the effects of climate change."

Mr Gaynor added that the coffee fungus La Roya, also known as coffee rust, is another threat. The disease impacts the coffee plant and can destroy production. ...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41081876.html

My suspicions have been proven correct: Those corrupt twatbadgers at Starbucks are peddling vaguely coffee-flavoured soft drinks, not the real thing:

“We compared caffeine content for espresso, cappuccino and filter coffee options from high street chains including Costa, Pret and Starbucks.

Our research revealed that some coffee chains may leave you feeling shortchanged, while others could give you an unexpectedly strong coffee buzz.

A cappuccino from Costa contains more than four and a half times as much caffeine as one from rival chain Starbucks, while a single espresso at Pret has six times as much caffeine as one at Starbucks.”

https://www.which.co.uk/news/articl...s-vary-significantly-which-finds-ay7cA4G1zh1S

maximus otter
Caffeine content is also dependent on the roast, darker roasts have less caffeine. And, as the article states, the fineness of the grind will affect caffeine amounts.

Years ago I bought some chocolate covered espresso beans. Yum. I gobbled them down. About 1/2 hour later, I was quite animated and wondered why. Duh! I was eating whole coffee beans. o_OI have never had chocolate covered espresso beans since. They are too good.

Caffeine content is also dependent on the roast, darker roasts have less caffeine. And, as the article states, the fineness of the grind will affect caffeine amounts.

Years ago I bought some chocolate covered espresso beans. Yum. I gobbled them down. About 1/2 hour later, I was quite animated and wondered why. Duh! I was eating whole coffee beans. o_OI have never had chocolate covered espresso beans since. They are too good.
I love 'em!

I cannot espresso how much I disagree with that.
Looks like you've started something of a brew haha....

Oh come on Ramon! Where have you bean?
Surely these are grounds for you to stop procaffeinating and mocha us happy* with a latte of coffee puns?

* I know Happy was one of the 7 dwarfs, along with Sneezy, but shouldn't there have been a Coughie too?

Oh come on Ramon! Where have you bean?
Surely these are grounds for you to stop procaffeinating and mocha us happy* with a latte of coffee puns?

* I know Happy was one of the 7 dwarfs, along with Sneezy, but shouldn't there have been a Coughie too?
I think he's bean spending far too much time round at Maxwell's House!

maximus otter

Tried Maca Powder about five years ago, put it on cereal, mixed it into smoothies.
Tasked quite nice, and it really helps you move your bowels.

@maximus otter @Mungoman @ChasFink @Sid @charliebrown @ramonmercado

Question for coffee lovers:

I am new to coffee (tea drinker from my youth).

I read about its health benefits, so am trying a few cups a week to start with.

I bought some ground coffee powder, and a metal reusable filter to use the "Pour Over" technique.

I have drunk a few cups, different amounts of the coffee in the filter, to produce different strengths.

Have had them neat, black.

So far I have not enjoyed the stuff.

Any tips?

Just a history side note.

Maxwell’s House Hotel was built in Nashville, Tennessee in 1859 as a modern marvel.

The hotel had unbelievably bathrooms inside with steam heat and gas lighting.

President Teddy Roosevelt pushed their coffee saying it was good to the last drop.

The hotel burnt down in 1961 in a massive fire, only to be rebuilt away from downtown Nashville in later years.

Tried Maca Powder about five years ago, put it on cereal, mixed it into smoothies.

I bought some ground coffee powder, and a metal reusable filter to use the "Pour Over" technique.

I have drunk a few cups, different amounts of the coffee in the filter, to produce different strengths.

Any tips?
There are as many different coffees as there are teas. So, you will have an enjoyable time finding the ones you like, will love, and eventually will not be able to do without. I think coffee, neat and black, will be difficult to just jump into, for a lifelong tea drinker. But persist and the heavens will open for you!

I suggest buying small samples of different types of coffee: medium, light, and dark roast. Pay more for better quality: Kona and Blue Mountain are two of my favorites.
Buy a small electric grinder and grind your own beans as this will release flavors the bagged ground coffees have long since lost.

Make the coffee a little weaker than you have tried, and see if you like that better.
Try it with a little sugar or sweetener.
Try it with a little cocoa powder (not the cocoa mix with sugar for making hot chocolate, but just unsweetened cocoa powder).
Try it with cream or milk.
Over time, I think you will come to enjoy the flavor as your taste buds adjust.

Please let us know how this adventure ends.

Any tips?[/SIZE]

Personally, if I was advising a beginner, I'd suggest a small hob top coffee maker, and - rather than getting confused with the myriad options on offer - go for something relatively neutral and easily shoppable: a Taylors of Harrogate Lazy Sunday, or even a Sainsbury's Fairtrade Columbian. Stick to 3 for strength when starting off, and (as @Endlessly Amazed has already suggested), maybe use a bit less than you think you might need to; it doesn't have to look like tar.

Avoid hipster coffee emporia and the like - at least to start with - they'll advise you to look at all sorts of stuff which may be really very nice, but which I'd argue won't be ideal for someone who hasn't discovered their palate, or even decided if they want to.

It's like whisky - I'd never advise a beginner to drink some of the stuff I like now; they would think whisky drinkers were suicidally insane, and never touch another drop in their life.

Last edited:

Any tips?
I thought you'd have been a consumer of the turkish style!
Anyway, try this;
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-unwhinge-thread.59992/page-111#post-2178818

Any tips?

For everyday home use, you cannot go wrong with a Nespresso machine.
Ours is a Krups model, wasn't hugely expensive (around £50 IIRC) and has provided some 8 years brilliant service.
If you get the coffee pods from Lidl, they work out around 20p each and, to my palate, taste every bit as good as official Nespresso ones.
For picnics or camping, I also have a lightweight aluminium French-press device. You heat water and ground coffee over your camping stove and then press down with the plunger/filter. I don't think the results are quite as good as from my Nespresso machine, but are vastly better than instant coffee.

Any tips?

Get a cafetiere, easy to use. Try LaVazza Rossa coffee or Bewleys coffee if you can get it.

Coffee could disappear from Irish shelves by 2050 due to climate change, a leading charity has warned.

Gosh, that Warble Gloaming can do everything, can't it? :rolleyes:

@Victory: My fave coffee preparation is via an AeroPress. I tend to use Waitrose Colombian, though many others rotate through the pantry, including Mayan Gold and Costa's own brand; it depends on what's cheap and/or available.

Two scoops of ground coffee per mug (I use one caf & one decaf), filtered tap water and Coffee Mate whitener: Happy days.

maximus otter

After getting a cafetiere a many years ago, I could never go back to the 'instant' stuff and wonder how I ever used to be able to drink it.
Yup, that's how they get you. :nods:
It's easier to cut down on or give up nasty instant coffee than the super-sophisticated cafetière variety.

Yeah, we know, you can give it up any time you like. :wink2:

@Victory: My fave coffee preparation is via an AeroPress. I tend to use Waitrose Colombian, though many others rotate through the pantry, including Mayan Gold and Costa's own brand; it depends on what's cheap and/or available.

Two scoops of ground coffee per mug (I use one caf & one decaf), filtered tap water and Coffee Mate whitener: Happy days.

maximus otter
I've been using an AeroPress for nearly two years and wouldn't be without it.

Any tips?
Erm. . . stick to what you like. . . but keep on testing for a Coffee you want to try out, as everyone's taste's varies.
1677671898139.jpeg
:bthumbup:

Back