The Contemporary Commercial Value Of Adolf Hitler

ogopogo3

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Belgium Takes Legal Action on Italy 'Hitler Wine'
Labels Carry Hitler Salute, Phrases Like 'Sieg Heil'

Reuters

BRUSSELS (Dec 5) - Belgium's official anti-racism center said on Friday it was preparing legal action to stop imports of an Italian wine with labels depicting Adolf Hitler and other leading Nazis.

"A picture of Adolf Hitler is in itself too little (to trigger legal action), but he's also doing the Hitler salute and there is this message 'One People, One Empire, One Leader"' Ingrid Aendenboom, spokeswoman for the Center for Equal Opportunities and the Fight against Racism, told Reuters.

"That falls within the framework of the anti-racism law," she said.

The wine "is apparently a huge success in Italy," but the Belgian public was "very sensitive to this kind of thing," she said. The wine is sold at Belgian flea markets.

The head of the wine producing company, Andrea Lunardelli, told German television in September that the labels carrying phrases such as "Sieg Heil" and "Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuehrer" were made chiefly for the German market.

Its Web site says the labels "remind us of the lives of celebrated personages of Italian and world political history such as Che Guevara, Churchill...Hitler, Marx, Mussolini, Napoleon."

The German government asked Italy in September to investigate whether the labels depicting top Nazis such as Hitler, Hermann Goering and Heinrich Himmler violated European Union anti-racism rules.

German law strictly forbids the use of Nazi symbols or insignia, but German tourists were importing the wine from Italy or buying it on the Internet.

12/05/03 09:09 ET

http://www.vinilunardelli.it/ING/chisiamo.htm

taras

In the detail
Reaction score
This sort of thing is going on in Italy just now because of their current right-wing government. Similarly the resurgence in "actually, Mussolini was a lovely chap" politics... thankfully Italy's government gets changed very frequently (?)

A

Anonymous

I saw this in Rome 4 or 5 years ago - Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin wine. All next to each on other the shelf.

To be honest - I don't think it was much more than a rather bad taste joke.

beakboo1

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Ogopogo said:
The head of the wine producing company, Andrea Lunardelli, told German television in September that the labels carrying phrases such as "Sieg Heil" and "Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuehrer" were made chiefly for the German market.
Oh well that's ok then. :eek!!!!:

Vardoger

YOLO
Reaction score
India’s Hitler-themed restaurant draws fire
Name will ‘stay in people’s minds,’ says Mumbai restaurateur

Updated: 8:34 a.m. ET Aug. 21, 2006

MUMBAI, India - A new restaurant in India’s financial hub, named after Adolf Hitler and promoted with posters showing the German leader and Nazi swastikas, has infuriated the country’s small Jewish community.

Hitler’s Cross, which opened last week, serves up a wide range of continental fare and a big helping of controversy, thanks to a name the owners say they chose to stand out among hundreds of Mumbai eateries.

“We wanted to be different. This is one name that will stay in people’s minds,” owner Punit Shablok told Reuters.
Story continues below ↓ advertisement

“We are not promoting Hitler. But we want to tell people we are different in the way he was different.”

But India’s remaining Jews — most migrated to Israel and the West over the years — say they are outraged by the gimmick.

“This signifies a severe lack of awareness of the agony of millions of Jews caused by one man,” said Jonathan Solomon, chairman of the Indian Jewish Federation, the community’s umbrella organization.

“We are going to stop this deification of Hitler,” he said without elaborating.

The small restaurant, its interior done out in the Nazi colors of red, white and black, also has a lounge for smoking the Indian water pipe or “hookah.”

Posters line the road leading up to it, featuring a red swastika carved in the name of the eatery. One slogan reads: “From Small Bites to Mega Joys.”

A huge portrait of a stern-looking Füehrer greets visitors at the door. The cross in the restaurant’s name refers to the swastika that symbolized the Nazi regime.

“This place is not about wars or crimes, but where people come to relax and enjoy a meal,” said restaurant manager Fatima Kabani, adding that they were planning to turn the eatery’s name into a brand with more branches in Mumbai.

The swastika has its roots in ancient Indian Hindu tradition and remains a sacred symbol for Hindus. Nazi theorists appropriated it to bolster their central hypothesis of the Aryan origins of the German people.
Article link

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Truly an untouchable restraunt. I can't help noticing that the restraunt manager has an Islamic name. I don't think the Swastika was ever an Islamic symbol. I hope its dealt with by direct action.

Vardoger

YOLO
Reaction score
It's almost as tasteless as The Producers and the music video The Hitler Rap. The problem it is not made with irony and humor and not by a jew.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
:shock:

And this is going to last how long before someone decides to torch the place?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Anyone recall from a mid-nineties FT the reprinted ad from an African gentleman (you could tell from his picture) calling himself "Adolf Hitler" and informing us he was back in business? Apparently there were others in the same area calling themselves "Mickey Mouse" and suchlike, just re-using famous names to drum up publicity for their companies.

dreeness

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Freedom of speech must not include hate speech, the Indian government should immediately shut down that restaurant.

(Just like the Danish government should have shut down Jyllands-Posten for publishing those racist propaganda cartoons...)

(Although I fully expect everyone who defended those bloody cartoons will demonstrate ethical consistency by now defending the Hitler restaurant like it was the Alamo...)

(Actually, I don't really expect that at all...)

:roll:

ted_bloody_maul

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
talk of a boycott is premature. as ever the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. is there a menu available and does it have nazi-themed food? eg goebells doughballs, luftwaffles etc

Dingo667

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
We have a restaurant in Gravesend named after a powerful leader of an ever invading country who killed thousands of people, it is called Caesar and sells italian food [very amusing :roll: ].

ted_bloody_maul

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Dingo667 said:
We have a restaurant in Gravesend named after a powerful leader of an ever invading country who killed thousands of people, it is called Caesar and sells italian food [very amusing :roll: ].
caesar just means chief, though, does it not? that'd be like naming a place King's. also, there's not really that many people around any more who were attacked by any caesar or are likely to be attacked by devotees of his doctrine.

Dingo667

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Yeah true... [thought I made a witty point :( ]

Peripart

Antediluvian
Reaction score
ted_bloody_maul said:
talk of a boycott is premature... does it have nazi-themed food? eg goebells doughballs, luftwaffles etc
Mmm... luftwaffles. Just the thing to have as a side order to a Colditz salad. Assuming, of course, that you've got room for waffles after you've had your "hors d'oeuvres which must be obeyed at all times". I think I'd plump for the Eva Prawn Cocktail...

(with apologies to John Cleese)

_Lizard23_

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
There are swastikas everywhere in India - it is mildly disconcerting to fairly hilarious .... in Goa, where the hindus rub up against the christians seeing a statuette of the Virgin Mary or a christian cross adorned with swastikas and oms is quite a common occurance. I bet it wouldn't look too clever to a lot of european christians but the symbol really just doesn't have the same connotations there.

I dare say the second world war doesn't either. It's a very different part of the world.

I don't think either Punit or Shablok are especially Islamic names to be honest - I could be wrong - they just seem to be Indian names. He could be a raving anti-semite or some sort of subcontinental neo-nazi, or he might just have been looking for a snappy name like he says.

There is not a sizeable jewish population in India, although there is one of course.

I'm not defending this as such, but I can conceive of, for example, a Vlad Tepes goth club or a Genghis Khan mongolian restaurant or a trendy Chairman Mao bar opening without a huge amount of fuss in this country (the Revolution chain of vodka bars already uses a lot of communist artwork and symbolism, some of which will probably be from the reigns of Stalin and Mao I'd not be surprised) ... it was all a long time ago and a long way away in one of those odd foreign places. A few British Romanians or Chinese might object, of course, and it might make the news in those places, but I don't think there'd be too much fuss.

I'm forever being picked up for my cultural relativism on this board, but I'll bet you that if you spend any time in Mumbai this is one of the things that will shock you the least, and for most people there the events of another continent over half a century ago just won't pack the punch they do for us.

Anyway, isn't there already at least one Adolf Hitler bar? Either this is old news or there is one somewhere else because I saw photos of it ages ago and resolved to visit if ever I was in the region.

/edit/ yup .... a quick google reveals a themed Hitler restaurant in both Bangkok and Beijing.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
As Lizard says, WWII is probably a lot further away in India than it is here. There is, indeed, a "New Culture Revolution" Chinese restaurant in Camden, which is pretty damn tasteless.

ted_bloody_maul

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
_Lizard23_ said:
I'm not defending this as such, but I can conceive of, for example, a Vlad Tepes goth club or a Genghis Khan mongolian restaurant or a trendy Chairman Mao bar opening without a huge amount of fuss in this country (the Revolution chain of vodka bars already uses a lot of communist artwork and symbolism, some of which will probably be from the reigns of Stalin and Mao I'd not be surprised) ... it was all a long time ago and a long way away in one of those odd foreign places. A few British Romanians or Chinese might object, of course, and it might make the news in those places, but I don't think there'd be too much fuss.
there used to be a bar in greenock, 25 miles west of glasgow, called Papa Doc's. :shock:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I don't think either Punit or Shablok are especially Islamic names to be honest
But Fatima is.

Someone burned down one of the Mao restraunts in Dublin a few months back (I have an alibi).

mejane

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Why burn the restaurant down? If it offends then by all means boycott it and complain - if enough people do that then market forces will force its closure anyway. Although, as others have mentioned, it's probable that the name is more offensive to outsiders (ie thee and me) than locals.

On the subject of Hitler-themed restaurants, there's also one in Lima, Peru, where the pizza "gas ovens" must surely win the bad taste award.

Jane.

A

Anonymous

10 years back, some friends and myself had the idea for a Vatican themed restaurant. Each table was a confessional; there was the option of being able to confess to various sins via an inter table communiation system; nuns on rollar skates....and all manner of perversion....probably a good idea that we never went for it... :lol:

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Climb down by 'Hitler' restaurant
By Monica Chadha
BBC News, Mumbai

One of the restaurant's owners has apologised for the choice of name
The owners of a new restaurant named "Hitler's Cross" in the Indian city of Mumbai have changed its name after protests from the Jewish community.

The restaurant opened last week in the city's outskirts, initially displaying a giant poster of Hitler.

But now one of the restaurant's owners has acknowledged that naming the restaurant after Hitler was "most inappropriate" and has apologised.

The small Jewish community said they were insulted over the choice of name.

'Very apologetic'

"We have decided to change the name of our restaurant and remove all signs and articles associated with Hitler and Nazism in and around it," said one of the restaurant's owners, Satish Sabhlok.

"Our intention was not to glorify Hitler - or his atrocities or ideology in any way - and we regret the anguish caused by the use of this name," he said.

The Chairman of the Indian Jewish Federation, Jonathan Solomon, told the BBC that Mr Sabhlok came to his residence for a meeting on Thursday morning and was "very apologetic".

Mr Solomon said that he hoped that the restaurateur had "acted out of ignorance rather than malice".

"The opening of a restaurant with such a name has shocked us and all right thinking persons around the world," he said.

"We are grateful... To the people and government of our country, to the media for highlighting this issue and to the consular authorities of Germany, the USA and Israel in taking note of this issue and helping in its solution."

The restaurant opened in the city's outskirts last week with a party for 700 guests.

A poster of Hitler was placed at the entrance, although the owners said it was not put up by them.

But the name caused fury among the 5,000-member Jewish community in Mumbai.

"How can anybody think of naming a restaurant after a perpetrator of such heinous crimes against humanity?" Mr Solomon asked.

The consul generals of Israel and Germany became embroiled in the dispute, requesting the owners to change the name.

Initially they refused to do so, saying that they were only using the name and not promoting Hitler in any manner.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5275866.stm

A

Anonymous

It will be interesting to see if 'there is no such thing as bad publicity' and if the restaurant survives. This could be one of the most tasteless, yet brilliant, pieces of marketing for a new business, ever. However, if it fails, then we have all learned a lesson :shock: Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wonder if the owners will start a German WW2 memorabilia auction house next: Goering, Goering, Gone?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Something similar.

Turkey Hitler shampoo advert withdrawn
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17527255

The advert featured black and white archive footage of Adolf Hitler
Continue reading the main storyRelated Stories

Turkey country profile

A Turkish TV advert for men's shampoo, featuring Adolf Hitler, has been withdrawn following complaints from the country's Jewish community.

The 12-second advert shows footage of Hitler with a dubbed voice shouting that men should not use women's shampoo if they do not wear women's clothes.

Turkey's Jewish community threatened legal action over the "unacceptable" use of Hitler to promote the product.

The advertising firm behind the campaign said it was "misinterpreted".

On Monday, the office of the chief Rabbi in Istanbul demanded a public apology from the company "to repair the damage this commercial has caused to society's conscience".

The US-based Anti-Defamation League said it was "repulsed", calling it "a disgusting and deplorable marketing ploy", Agence France Press reports.

The Istanbul-based advertising firm, Marka, and the company that produces the product, Biota Laboratories, both confirmed that, after just ten days on air, the decision had been taken to withdraw the advert for Biomen shampoo.

"The Jewish community seemed more upset than they were supposed to be," Beril Mardin, account director with the Istanbul-based advertising firm Marka told the BBC.

"Hitler is being made fun of to the utmost degree by making him star in a shampoo commercial," she said.

"It is indeed most upsetting, and also surprising, that people in Turkey and around the world mistook this commercial and interpreted it very, very wrongly, as if Hitler is being portrayed as the epitome of manhood, or as if the commercial is trying to justify him or his ideology."

Around 20,000 Jews live in Turkey, mainly Istanbul, a city of some 14 million Muslims.

Most are descendants of Sephardim who escaped the Spanish Inquisition and found refuge in the Ottoman Empire some 500 years ago.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Obviously they should have used the Downfall clip and everyone would have fallen about laughing. Erm...

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Now a Hitler clothing store.

Jews refuse to shop at ‘Hitler’ store in India
http://rt.com/art-and-culture/news/hitl ... -jews-807/
Published: 29 August, 2012, 12:48

A general view of the 'Hitler' clothing store in Ahmedabad on August 28, 2012. (AFP Photo/Sam Panthaky)

There’s one shop in India that local Jews won’t stop by at any price: the one called “Hitler”. The owner of the clothing outlet in Ahmedabad claims it’s merely a “nickname given to one of the proprietors' grandfathers.”

"Hitler was a nickname given to my business partner Manish Chandani's grandfather because of his strict nature. Frankly, till the time we applied for the trademark permission, I had only heard that Hitler was a strict man,” Rajesh Shah who owns the shop told The Times of India daily.

“It was only recently that we read about Hitler on the internet,” he added.
Shah complains he had to spend Rs 40,000 on the banner, and says he won’t change the name unless he is compensated.

One of the two Indian owners of the 'Hitler' clothing store – Rajesh Shah – poses with a visiting card at his shop in Ahmedabad on August 28, 2012. (AFP Photo/Sam Panthaky)

Local residents can’t hide their indignation.

"In the city of Mahatma Gandhi and non-violence, how can anyone celebrate a person like Hitler who is known to have murdered millions of unarmed ordinary civilians? We as a community had represented our concerns to the proprietors and we do not think they agree with us," Nikitin Contractor, convener of the Friends of Israel organization from Vadodara was quoted as saying. "Youngsters need to be told of the atrocities that Hitler committed and the millions who were killed in gas chambers more than 70 years ago."

Some members of the Jewish community claim the proprietors know what Hitler’s name stands for.

“They had researched well, right from the clothes the dictator wore to his cufflinks. We had suggested a separate design, but the proprietors claimed that the name brings good business since its launch a week back."