The Continuing Insult To The English Language

INT21

Antediluvian
...Change tack is an excellent example. Nobody knows that is a sailing term for turning the boat, usually so you didn't run into something, (like land), or so you didn't go way off course...

Belay that, sailor. Maybe not so.

I understand that the comes from 'tacking into the wind'. Necessary because a sailing ship can't sail directly into the wind.
So it 'tacks' at and angle to the headwind for a while, then 'changes tack' to put the wind on the other quarter and still maintain it's forward direction.

Way hey, blow the man down.

INT21

INT21

Antediluvian
Escargot,

...The full expression goes 'If you think THAt you've got another think coming!'...

Maybe it's a regional thing, but here we would say The full expression goes 'If you think That you've got another thought coming!'

INT21

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Escargot,

...The full expression goes 'If you think THAt you've got another think coming!'...

Maybe it's a regional thing, but here we would say The full expression goes 'If you think That you've got another thought coming!'

INT21
Nah, the point is to trivialise the other person's grasp of logic by pretending they perform individual childish 'thinks' instead of proper adult thoughts.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
A 'think' here is not synonymous with 'a thought'.

It means a session of thinking/thought, as in 'Let's have a think about it.' or 'You give it a think.'

The retranslation is something like "If you actually believe that is right, you have another period of consideration due."

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
A 'think' here is not synonymous with 'a thought'.
It means a session of thinking/thought, as in 'Let's have a think about it.' or 'You give it a think.'
I totally agree with you on the distinction between 'think-as-an-act' (of deliberation; consideration) versus 'think-as-a-thing' (a thought; opinion; conclusion).

The retranslation is something like "If you actually believe that is right, you have another period of consideration due."
Now that I've had another think come on the subject of another think coming, it strikes me that I've heard (and used) the phrase to connote two distinguishable spins on why and when such additional consideration is due.

This was triggered by a perceived difference between the earliest documented examples I cited in a prior post and the Oxford Dictionaries site's emphasis on 'disagreement' in its treatment of the phrase (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/think).

The earliest examples don't necessarily insinuate the believer is wrong / mistaken, but merely submit that the given conclusion / opinion will inevitably be revisited in light of eventual circumstances. To illustrate based on Yith's rephrasing ...

"If you actually believe that to be the case, you will be unavoidably confronted by a need to reconsider that belief in the future."

It's more common nowadays for the phrase to insinuate the believer is already wrong / mistaken, and it would be wise to double-check the conclusion / opinion. In this sense, the phrase carries the same implicit challenge as popular use of the game show catchphrase "Is that your final answer?" - especially in the extended sense of including an implied threat of being made to look unintelligent or foolish.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Just read the following by a U.S. senator:

"I'm going to go back to my office and write a floor statement that is more fulsome."

This made me grimace in consternation. It's pretty well understood that although the origin of the word denoted abundance, it has come to mean gratingly excesive, which would be an odd thing to want your own statement to be.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I totally agree with you on the distinction between 'think-as-an-act' (of deliberation; consideration) versus 'think-as-a-thing' (a thought; opinion; conclusion).

Now that I've had another think come on the subject of another think coming, it strikes me that I've heard (and used) the phrase to connote two distinguishable spins on why and when such additional consideration is due.

This was triggered by a perceived difference between the earliest documented examples I cited in a prior post and the Oxford Dictionaries site's emphasis on 'disagreement' in its treatment of the phrase (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/think).

The earliest examples don't necessarily insinuate the believer is wrong / mistaken, but merely submit that the given conclusion / opinion will inevitably be revisited in light of eventual circumstances. To illustrate based on Yith's rephrasing ...

"If you actually believe that to be the case, you will be unavoidably confronted by a need to reconsider that belief in the future."

It's more common nowadays for the phrase to insinuate the believer is already wrong / mistaken, and it would be wise to double-check the conclusion / opinion. In this sense, the phrase carries the same implicit challenge as popular use of the game show catchphrase "Is that your final answer?" - especially in the extended sense of including an implied threat of being made to look unintelligent or foolish.
However, one of my own favourite phrases is 'I'll have a think about that!' which means I'm going to come up with some serious ideas.

Last edited:

INT21

Antediluvian
..which means I'm going to come up with some serious ideas...

And did you ever have one ? A serious idea ?

INT21

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Just read the following by a U.S. senator:

"I'm going to go back to my office and write a floor statement that is more fulsome."
Shouldn't the senator have written "I'm going back to my office to write a fulsome floor statement" if he's using English?.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
There is a maker of scented candles whose slogan is: "The world's best loved candle." o_O

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
The first really filthy joke I learned concerned the candle-maker who ran out of wax and impregnated a convent. They were all to be walled-up, until the Mother Superior had a litter of kittens. :nun:

It cries out for film-treatment:

Problem: The diligent candle-maker is late with the order. Lights are going out, all over the convent. A novice is sent down to enquire. The old candle-maker explains that the bees have been driven from their hives by Satan. He will do what he can. As the comely novice departs, he reaches inside his robe and his trusty ginger-tom rubs himself against his leg.

Crisis: The convent is brightly lit. There are candles in every sconce but the occasion is a solemn one. An inquisitor has been called-in to deal with the unusual number of pregnancies among the sisters. He raises his trowel to signify the fate of the malefactors. Then he is beckoned aside.

Resolution: In a scene reminiscent of the Nativity, Mother Superior is seen at a crib, rocking her litter of kittens. The Inquisitor's heart is melted and he takes her hand. "They are truly ours?" "Yes! Yes!" she whispers and winks at the camera, as the credits start to roll. :adored:

Last edited:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
The first really filthy joke I learned concerned the candle-maker who ran out of wax and impregnated a convent. They were all to be walled-up, until the Mother Superior had a litter of kittens. :nun:
My first dirty jokes were also about nuns (and very puerile):

Exhibit A: Two nuns in the bath. One says to the other, "Where's the soap?" The other replies, "It does, doesn't it?"

Exhibit B: A dormitory of young nuns. The mother superior enters at nine o' clock and instructs, "Candles out, girls".

*Cue a sound like a cork from a bottle*

:palert:

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
When did the word 'months' start being pronounced as 'munce'?

I only noticed it recently, and it seems to very widespread- I've even heard a newsreader on the radio doing it this week.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Zebra,

...for about 97% of my life I thought that frothy coffee was called 'expresso'...

My wife does this. Most annoying.

Is it grounds for divorce ?

If not, it should be.

Edit:

Just re-read your line. You do realise it is inaccurate on not one but two counts ?

INT21

The line in blue which you are attributing to me, is actually a line from someone else which I merely quoted. :) (See post 625 on page 21).

:hoff: